Forum becoming more negative?

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Rya Nitely said:

Yes, I have noticed that jokes are often taken seriously. But It sort of takes away the humour if you need to explain that it's a joke. Like the angry face, well it wouldn't be the soup nazi with a smiley face. And Ethan did keep insisting he didn't want a warm blanket, and he was being mean to me first with my other attempt at a joke about Dakota saying ' And we are done' like she did in the other forum where people started to argue, and that was my other failed attempt at joking, because he took it so seriously and you did too. But anyway I'll try not to joke anymore ?

You're taking it the wrong way I think. Write the words, then add emphasis to how it sounds in your head. Does that make sense? it's that there's no context to frame around the joke without some sort of reference. I mean, you had to explain the joke anyway.. save yourself the step :D

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

Yes, I have noticed that jokes are often taken seriously. ...But anyway I'll try not to joke anymore ?

Don't stop joking, Rya.

One's ability to joke sometimes depends on the audience's understanding of the person delivering it. Irregular or new posters have less latitude than old timers like me and may need to wrap their satire in something softer at first. Once people get a sense of you, they'll tolerate or even look forward to a little edge in your humor. Roxy's suggestion to read what you're writing with the eyes of someone unaware of your context is helpful. To pull back isn't the solution. That just makes us think you're harboring unpleasant thoughts about all of us.

I harbor unpleasant thoughts about everyone here, some of them so unpleasant I have to... no wait.. umm... excuse me, that's actually a pleasant thought. I'll be back in a moment. I have dusty plants to set out.

By admitting all this, I avoid even the slightest retribution.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
I need a proofreader.

Yes, I have noticed that jokes are often taken seriously. But It sort of takes away the humour if you need to explain that it's a joke. Like the angry face, well it wouldn't be the soup nazi with a smiley face. And Ethan did keep insisting he didn't want a warm blanket, and he was being mean to me first with my other attempt at a joke about Dakota saying ' And we are done' like she did in the other forum where people started to argue, and that was my other failed attempt at joking, because he took it so seriously and you did too. But anyway I'll try not to joke anymore ?

I didn't get the Soup Nazi connection to your remark until you posted the pic and I'm a soup nazi fan. So while I agree having to explain a joke kinda makes it not a joke anymore, the point is if a good portion of the people reading your remark aren't going to get the reference and know it's a joke then what's the point of posting said joke?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rya Nitely said:

I feel sorry for people, and I'm proud of that quality - and it's a quality I believe I was born with.

Emphasizing those two words gives me the impression that you are intentionally "poking the bear", so to speak.  i.e. It seems that you are intentionally bringing back a previous argument.

(bolding is mine) This is where the explanation for behavior takes on a childish quality.  Doing something because someone else did it first is never a valid justification.  It simply comes out sounding like "but Mom, he hit me first".  

Joking in a forum is difficult, especially if the other folks don't know your writing style or posting personality. Heck, sometimes conveying any emotion is difficult in a forum.  Often things have to be explained in a bit more depth and the right emojis splattered around to help get the true meaning across.

• Like 8

I think it depends which part of the forum you are in. Most of the trolls I notice tend to hang out in General Discussion. However if you are seeking advice in say....Scripting or Building then I tend to notice trolls far far less. Having said that though, there aren't THAT many trolls in General but I do see your point.

• Like 1

Here’s a typical example from a brand new posters badly written screed in another thread:

“Clearly there is way to many people with no education and nothing better to do but hang out in the forums looking for prey to attack with their fairy tales and made up definitions“

And while she doesn’t get the pushback she deserves for her rudeness, some people no doubt will see any negative response that might develop as evidence of a clique.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 11:03 AM, Luna Bliss said:

One thing I've noticed, is that when a court decision is made that favors the other side then the side that lost frequently cries "legislation from the bench"!    In other words, both sides often decry "legislation from the bench"  when they lose.

Judges these days tend to legislate along progressive/conservative lines because politics is so polarized now.

The 'law' is not 'set in stone'......judges have some leeway in how they interpret the law.

Yes but some judges DO interpret the laws based on law and not a sense of social justice.

That's why the dems are currently doing anything and  I do mean ANYTHING to derail the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh.

The left will have its plans set back for at least 20 years when Mr Kavanaugh is confirmed.

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Here’s a typical example from a brand new posters badly written screed in another thread:

“Clearly there is way to many people with no education and nothing better to do but hang out in the forums looking for prey to attack with their fairy tales and made up definitions“

And while she doesn’t get the pushback she deserves for her rudeness, some people no doubt will see any negative response that might develop as evidence of a clique.

I usually ignore those people. I have imagined sharks, arriving at a beach and seeing everybody fleeing for the sand in unison, concluding that there's a conspiracy afoot. When large numbers of people have the same reaction to something, that is not proof of a clique.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I usually ignore those people. I have imagined sharks, arriving at a beach and seeing everybody fleeing for the sand in unison, concluding that there's a conspiracy afoot. When large numbers of people have the same reaction to something, that is not proof of a clique.

Group-think? Sheeple.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

If I have to say something I might message some other like minded person in the thread to shake my head.

When someone messages me in similar situations, I wince and reluctantly read the message, guiltily fearing the message is going to call me out for something I wrote!

05F2899D-6B14-47A5-A18D-4EA157A1927C.jpeg

• Like 1

People who think this forum is toxic, have probably not ventured far into the wide open internet. Our "toxic" is others sites mild teasing. And usually those, that cry out that the forum is so mean and that people here are some kind of gang, bounding together just to get them, are just not able to handle criticism and disagreement.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

People who think this forum is toxic, have probably not ventured far into the wide open internet. Our "toxic" is others sites mild teasing. And usually those, that cry out that the forum is so mean and that people here are some kind of gang, bounding together just to get them, are just not able to handle criticism and disagreement.

This a thousand times over.

Some of the most vocal here concerning their experiences on other fora ..... Suffice to say most were eaten alive because they had an unreasonable expectation of how a forum in general functions.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Me too ;)

Me too. 

And I started my very unsuccessful attempt at making jokes because I was just starting to feel more comfortable and accepted here, now there is that familiar feeling of - just let go, don't come back.

In all my years here, I have never felt a need to block so many people until just now. In fact I had a completely empty block list, and now I have 5. Well, I guess that was the advice right at the start - I didn't think I would need to actually use it.

Some people are carefully scanning my posts for anything they can be use to pull me up. And yes, the emphasis on the words 'proud' and 'born with' were aimed at a certain post in another thread. I'm definitely not the only one who does that, and it's being done to me all the time and nobody cares. People knew what the emphasis referred to, so there was no need to mention names. I made an example of how wrong that post was.

Now comes the very hard job of not coming back, see how long I last. And yes, I imagine a few people will go YAY.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

Me too. 

And I started my very unsuccessful attempt at making jokes because I was just starting to feel more comfortable and accepted here, now there is that familiar feeling of - just let go, don't come back.

In all my years here, I have never felt a need to block so many people until just now. In fact I had a completely empty block list, and now I have 5. Well, I guess that was the advice right at the start - I didn't think I would need to actually use it.

Some people are carefully scanning my posts for anything they can be use to pull me up. And yes, the emphasis on the words 'proud' and 'born with' were aimed at a certain post in another thread. I'm definitely not the only one who does that, and it's being done to me all the time and nobody cares. People knew what the emphasis referred to, so there was no need to mention names. I made an example of how wrong that post was.

Now comes the very hard job of not coming back, see how long I last. And yes, I imagine a few people will go YAY.

There's too many snowflakes here and in second life. I had one guy in a group chat called a racist because his  name made reference to the fact that he had blue eyes. 

It was something along the lines of "oh you effing racist, you think you are better than everyone else because you have blue eyes, just go die". I wouldn't be surprised if she called him Trump supporter too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.