Forum becoming more negative?

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wish I could believe all responses I've seen were to protect another, but that would be naïve wouldn't it?

Oh, I'll be one of the first to admit that I sometimes respond from a defensive position or because someone just managed to write something in such a way that one of my buttons got pushed.  That is not how I typically respond to things, but we are all human and thus we all do have emotions and sometimes those emotions rule us a bit more than they should.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Oh, I'll be one of the first to admit that I sometimes respond from a defensive position or because someone just managed to write something in such a way that one of my buttons got pushed.  

Well you are not alone. Sometimes the OP manages to insult the entire forum right off the bat. Or someone demands that someone else take responsibility for or be punished for a problem of his own making. That sort of thing, and there are many, rubs many the wrong way. Some speak up about it. And that in itself is not rude or abusive. 

A lot of problems could be prevented if people read the Guidelines  or TOS before making a post. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Sometimes the OP manages to insult the entire forum right off the bat. Or someone demands that someone else take responsibility for or be punished for a problem of his own making. That sort of thing, and there are many, rubs many the wrong way.

Here’s an example:

8 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

It will take a lot of time for mental health or gender identity or any other issue to be understood, especially in the older population.

I was trying hard to avoid mentioning age, but I think most of us are the older generation. And so this is a tough crowd to talk to about change.

apologies ahead of time for anyone offended by my bringing age into it, see my later post where I take it back ?

Edited by Rya Nitely

4 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

I was trying hard to avoid mentioning age, but I think most of us are the older generation. And so this is a tough crowd to talk to about change.

Hmm, not sure of forum ages.

I was thinking more of the agebands of those in the general population who are against things like Gay Marriage. The Australian Bureau of Statistics recent figures shows a very clear demographic there, the same demogrpahic scores high being against gender identity, and very much in favour of immigration restrictions.

Anyway, it wasn't meant to be an ageist statement and there was no disrespect intended. Just stating what the ABS figures reflect as a fact. Those 65 and above according to the ABS are less likely to be accepting of these issues.

Yes, that's why I didn't mention age, and I don't know how old people are here so I take it back

Callum, I just love what's happening with the strawberry situation on television. I don't even like strawberries but I want to buy them. This shows how the public can be educated, to do something generous and altruistic.

Oops I forgot to mention for those who don't know. Someone put needles in our strawberries, out of spite, and these farmers are losing money. We've been asked to help them by buying strawberries and just cut them up before you eat it.

Edited by Rya Nitely
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

Callum, I just love what's happening with the strawberry situation on television. I don't even like strawberries but I want to buy them. This shows how the public can be educated, to do something generous and altruistic.

I completely agree on buying the strawberries! :) 

Those farmers have lost so much and it's great to see ordinary people pulling together and helping them, same with the drought.

Humanity as a whole does have a good heart and does care. I think that's a given.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

I just love what's happening with the strawberry situation on television. I don't even like strawberries but I want to buy them. This shows how the public can be educated, to do something generous and altruistic.

sorry but i really start loosing the relevance of the posts on this topic, we'r in the forum feedback section, not the australian save the strawberry farmers. This also has nothing to do with the problems as posted as the mainstream subject in this thread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

sorry but i really start loosing the relevance of the posts on this topic, we'r in the forum feedback section, not the australian save the strawberry farmers. This also has nothing to do with the problems as posted as the mainstream subject in this thread.

A few nice posts to break tension are always good :D

604930085_download(7).gif.8068a8b3716471ed7ffec3221c860881.gif

Trick is not to derail too much, I dont think those few do. ❤️ 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

don't let me move your bed to the wall!!

:)

These littel derails aren't bad, but with a quite serious subject as this it will be nearly impossible to get back on track.

Most is repeat of statements already for several pages. And not a secret i disagree with the warm blanket method in many cases. It might look like it works for many, but it's only a few that keep posting about it, there are the same amount that don't react well on this approach at all.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

'public awareness' leading to kindness.

i lost my believe/faith/trust in that many years ago ...

1 hour ago, Rya Nitely said:

I'm sorry Ethan, if it annoyed you

you don't annoy me, but i'm on the other side of the medal we'r talking about here, and think the subject is only projected a bit from one side.

as example: many reports and studies always thought and claimed the Netherlands was at front in acceptance for LBGT and other rights.
It appears the last years those reports only projected dreams and wishfull thinking.
There isn't more acceptance here as in Moscow or the most savage tribes in the rainforests ..
The Netherlands are severe infected by the  political correctness virus since many decades, in fact most people here don't care, and only tolerate ... the real acceptance levels are in nothing different than in the two i mentioned above.
Crime figures here are fake, all show violence and discrimination ( except some very loud shouting groups)  gets less... but they in fact don't,  but people don't report it anymore... police only puts it on file and nothing more happens. Many of our "decent"  acceptance laws are empty shells. Result:less reports, less police action: figures go down .. but it's not wise anymore to walk on the streets when it's dark ...

Of course we need kindness, but it gets rarer, and it simply doesnt work out of a inner circle, awareness leading to a better society is a dream, a spark here.. or there, but will never get a wide spread fire. Humans are the most individualistic creatures on this planet, kindness has never been a strong side of us and will never be. It's all about surviving, and we know what that means. Eat or be eaten.
For many people this make life hard and nearly impossible, but will only survive in smaller sub groups, not in the big general mass.  And how much we would like it,  the cave man 20.000 years ago, had the same amount of kindness as we have, we didn't evolve half of what we think or wish.

I am the opposite of you in my approach, not because i don't know what you'r going through or meet in daily life, but the wam blanket method brought more damage to me, hurt and nearly going down by it, driving me to the edges of life. i need my defense, i need my walls and i need to be headstrong in many situations or will go down again, i can't cope with life without it.  Do i like this? a big NO, but it's MY way to be here, on SL and RL, and i know also very well i cross borders with it, stepping on toes, and hurt feelings.
Biggest confusion for others is mostly the unexpected appearing of this black side of me, i can be sweet ( yes really) and sometimes even be the warm blanket myself.
But it is me in both cases.
As all do i claim my space, accept the consequenses of my limitations and possibilities.  Don't throw a warm blanket around me, or drown me in kindness, but say stop, not further, go back, ... and i can function.

This is a bit what i meant to say some posts back when i talked about being the opposite. Hope its a bit more clear now.
I'm walking on this world over 53 yrs now, dealing with a (high social) autistic disorder and endogenous depresions since i can remember, same as you i'm not talking from books or theory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

don't let me move your bed to the wall!!

Yay for bunks! We can take turns asking the third person if they want top or b... ummm 

Yeah sure, I hear what you are saying Ethan, but this is a pretty hurt-filled thread. A lot of people get on the defensive, and a lot of hurt feelings to boot. Especially mine :(

I'll go back to the "How do you report a land for..." thread and the ongoing discussion about nekos vs furries vs tribbles and leave this for the people who can do it better then me :D

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

A few nice posts to break tension are always good :D

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aa604930085_download(7).gif.8068a8b3716471ed7ffec3221c860881.gif

Is this too negative? 9_9
From the Linden Lab Official:Community Participation Guidelines

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

leave this for the people who can do it better then me :D

no stay :)  ..just lifted my curtains a bit, now don't run

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

the third person if they want top or b... ummm

i'm to shy to ask those things.... ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Humans are the most individualistic creatures on this planet, kindness has never been a strong side of us and will never be. It's all about surviving, and we know what that means. Eat or be eaten.

Ethan, you got me thinking about the Apocalypse this morning. What if I had to kill someone in order to ensure survival of my children -- would I do it? What if I got horribly hungry and the only solution was to kill my cats for food -- would I do it?

Anyway, aside from those pleasant ruminations, I remember years ago feeling horrified when I realized the whole world was surviving because everybody was basically dining on everyone else....and the world seemed like a very bad place indeed, almost like a sick joke. My thinking has evolved as I studied human consciousness, saw many acts of altruism, and realized humans have the potential to be different, and I don't feel so bad about the protective mechanims humans have needed in order to survive. I think once we figure out how to meet subsistence needs that a new consciousness could emerge...there is that POTENTIAL. Now whether we'll reach it before the ice caps melt and usher us back into cave-man living remains to be seen. But just the fact that we could evolve to such a better place is amazing to me.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Sometimes the OP manages to insult the entire forum right off the bat. Or someone demands that someone else take responsibility for or be punished for a problem of his own making. That sort of thing, and there are many, rubs many the wrong way. Some speak up about it. And that in itself is not rude or abusive. 

I don't know what it is about humans, but when in pain there is a strong tendency to blame someone or something else for their troubles. I suppose it's what is known as a 'defense' in Psychology, and it helps to lessen the pain by temporarily attacking something else.

35 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

hey  Ethan, how does this relate to the topic? I'm reading it all directions and can't see it  ?

from all people here i would think you would respond to my other post, but now you'r only cheap out on revenge.

Hope this thread now get closed very fast.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ethan, you got me thinking about the Apocalypse this morning. What if I had to kill someone in order to ensure survival of my children -- would I do it? What if I got horribly hungry and the only solution was to kill my cats for food -- would I do it?

Anyway, aside from those pleasant ruminations, I remember years ago feeling horrified when I realized the whole world was surviving because everybody was basically dining on everyone else....and the world seemed like a very bad place indeed, almost like a sick joke. My thinking has evolved as I studied human consciousness, saw many acts of altruism, and realized humans have the potential to be different, and I don't feel so bad about the protective mechanims humans have needed in order to survive. I think once we figure out how to meet subsistence needs that a new consciousness could emerge...there is that POTENTIAL. Now whether we'll reach it before the ice caps melt and usher us back into cave-man living remains to be seen. But just the fact that we could evolve to such a better place is amazing to me.

Do we need to call the ASPCA again? ???

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.