Forum becoming more negative?

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like the forums are more full of people wanting to troll than those wanting to actually add to the conversation. I'm not saying these people haven't always been here, but it sure seems like these kinds of posts are much more numerous than in the past.

Forums will always have some negative posts or trolls as you call them  but just grabbed a few from very recent,  all positive to me.  Do you have negative examples?

• Like 4

You can block anyone that you would rather not read. It makes the forums much nicer. After months a griping it really does get boring. This doesn't get rid of the new alts of course but it does cut down on the angst. Just mouseover their profile icon in the sidebar.

• Like 2

I've been on the forums since 2007.  Things are actually much calmer and nicer around here than they were back then.  I don't really see any difference from one or two years ago either.  There is always negative stuff around here, but I think it is far outweighed by positive stuff.

• Like 8

I don't think the forum has changed in a negative way at all. There are always a few who troll. There are always a few who seem to want to be in perpetual opposition and/or negative. And there are always differences of opinion, which, although sounding negative sometimes, are only differences of genuinely held opinions.

On the whole, this forum version is by far the calmest one that I've seen here, because there are Lindens hanging around or, in SuperTom's case, flying around. It's the first version that has regular Lindens, so we can't get into the negative stuff like we used to be able to.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 7

I don't feel that the forum has become more negative recently.  It's certainly much better, in my opinion, than when I started reading here mid-2014.  Back then I rarely replied to any posts.  There have been some amazing displays of help, even when the person requesting help has had an unfriendly attitude and has responded badly to help or advice provided.  There are also times threads go off-track, but I generally don't see that as malicious, but as someone doing a 'free association' type response, and then others riffing off of that.   There are some infrequent posts which do take a more negative turn, but I don't think that's the majority, nor should they color the forum as negative, overall. 

• Like 5

This is just one of several fora I participate in on a wide range of different subjects. The question or perception of unfriendliness, negativity or trolling is something which occurs across all of them from time to time.  It is not exclusive to this one. In fact, I would say here, in general, from my experience, people are much better behaved because if you do misbehave there are real consequences, such as sanctions which can impact your access to Second Life itself, not only the forum.

The longer a forum exists, the wider the gap between established members and new members becomes. The longer you frequent a forum the more often you see repetition. The way the established members handle repetition can vary widely. There are some extremely helpful and knowledgeable long-term regulars on this forum who assist whenever they can. Collectively they have the answers or pointers to pretty much anything that's thrown at the forum.

Unless you created your account for the sole purpose of trolling, the majority of people begin their forum life tentatively, usually with a question, or participating in something straight-forward and easy. Here that might be a picture of how your avatar looks today.

On the subject of posing a question to the forum, particularly from a new poster, is that those wishing to help can only base their replies upon the information contained within the question itself. People can easily lose interest in helping and become frustrated when they have to continually dig for more information or understanding of the issue because the OP failed to include pertinent information, or simply underestimated the complexity of their problem in the first place. Many have become so used to Googling for answers that they use fora for the same purpose and expect instant answers. This often results in people becoming irritable on either side.

The more confident a person the more likely they will participate, the more a person participates the more confident they become.

Responding to something you disagree with is not compulsory. Personally speaking, I am rather pleased with myself that I have the ability to simply move on without any compulsion to respond to something which I find disagreeable. You will never see me participating in ding-dongs over opinions. I enjoy posting my opinion, if I have one, but can easily resist any temptation to respond to those who may disagree with me. 

On any forum there will always be sections, members, posting styles etc. which you dislike. Learn to look past them.

Negativity in all walks of life can be lessened by avoidance and not becoming involved with those aspects. Life is as uncomfortable and as irritating as you allow it to be. 

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
  • Like 8

Nah, def. not more negative, in fact, way, way less than prior incarnations

Opposing views and ideas, sometimes heated discussions, sometimes some super off-kilter derailments...of course..humans, and all that jazz (I almost forgot my j, and that totally changes the tone of that word)

Overall. I find the forums to be quite positive, and the vast majority of the posters to be quite entertaining, if not informative, too :D

Your mileage may vary, I get about 5,000 mpg-e,  before I have to refuel, or therabouts :D 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

There have been some amazing displays of help, even when the person requesting help has had an unfriendly attitude and has responded badly to help or advice provided

This, along with demands that someone be punished for displeasing the OP, constitutes 99% of the negativity in the forum. If people took responsibility for their own behavior it would go a long way towards solving most of  their problems.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Forums will always have some negative posts or trolls as you call them  but just grabbed a few from very recent,  all positive to me.  Do you have negative examples?

I'm not saying there aren't positive helpful responses- I'm just saying it seems like there are more trolls than in the past.

11 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

it seems like there are more trolls than in the past

Ah, but in the past we had the One Troll to Rule Them All, who - together with his multitudinous alts - pestered the forums. He spread himself far and wide (and very thin) across many people's patience, and - while he may have come across as a nice person to some - he did his damndest to persecute and drive away from the forum a select few people (mostly women) whom he'd set his sights on.

(And in his style of 'witty' bracketed afterthought sign-off:  boy, did he hate that I had him muted and refused to rise to his goading :D)

• Like 10

On 9/11/2018 at 9:19 PM, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like the forums are more full of people wanting to troll than those wanting to actually add to the conversation. I'm not saying these people haven't always been here, but it sure seems like these kinds of posts are much more numerous than in the past.

So overall - thats a no?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Ah, but in the past we had the One Troll to Rule Them All

Hey!!! I'm still here... and still High Priestess of the Forum Cult.

I quite enjoyed one tussle with him in the feeds in which, by interpreting everything he said as increasing evidence he had a crush on me, I got him to scream "MAKE HER STOP!!!"

As a hyper-emotional and ever so needy female, it's encouraging to know I can induce such passion in another.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.