Forum becoming more negative?

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

from all people here i would think you would respond to my other post, but now you'r only cheap out on revenge.

Hope this thread now get closed very fast.

But I did respond to your other post. I gave it a like. It was close to my bed time and I didn't have time to say any more than give a like.

And I meant my post to you to be light hearted humour and not an attack or revenge, but if you saw it that way then I'm sorry. Gosh, I'm saying that a lot in a thread where most people don't feel the need for soft blankets. It just shows how we need to be very careful with what we say, and I need to be even more careful than I think I am, even with those who say soft blankets aren't necessary. 

And yes, it does show how tone can be misread, so for those who have been saying it, there's an example.

Ethan, I wish I knew what to say. I know you are suffering, as many of us are and I do genuinely feel empathy for you. I only do warm blankets, so I want to wrap you in a warm hug and I do believe it works. I don't think anyone is damaged by a warm hug.

Edited by Rya Nitely
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Is this too negative? 9_9
From the Linden Lab Official:Community Participation Guidelines

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Yes, but we all know that we are allowed a bit of off topic ramblings as long as it doesn't go down some deep dark hole.

Some off-topics are just a few statements because some piece of a post sent someone's mind on a tangent - those usually come back to the topic pretty quick. 
Some times, the off-topic is needed just to lighten things up a bit (heavy topic) - sometimes the main topic will get picked up again and sometimes the thread just dies. 
Then there are those that have gone down the wrong track - still on topic, but not necessarily in a good way - and thus, while waiting for the lock, the thread really needs to be derailed..

• Like 4

So to get spot on topic :)

On 9/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like the forums are more full of people wanting to troll than those wanting to actually add to the conversation. I'm not saying these people haven't always been here, but it sure seems like these kinds of posts are much more numerous than in the past. 

I don't think the forum is "more full of people wanting to troll", because those who do it aren't very many. However, we do have a few people who are generally negative characters, and post negative comments all over the place just for the pleasure of it. At a stretch, it could be called trolling, but (I think) it's only trolling if the purpose is to trigger reactions. It may be but I'm not sure that it is. I think it may be that some people have above average negativity in their natures. That kind of negativity has significantly increased, and it may be what led you to think that the forum is more full of people that do it. Certainly it is more full of such posts (including using the laugh icon as scorn), but there are only a very few people who do it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

I actually see a lot of positivity on these forums, and outside of the obvious trolls which are good for a laugh every now and then; most arguments I see are started as a result of a misunderstanding.

If only more people took the time to say "I'm sorry", this forum and the rest of the world would for that matter be a better place.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Replying to a post from 2 weeks ago with a snide remark? Bless your heart... 

I would agree whole heartedly  with Little on this one. Go back 6 years and look at the old forums, lots of blunt rude posts, no whining. I wonder why that was.. Perhaps less people with thin skins were on? Perhaps more of the older generation were posting. Perhaps people knew how to take things with a grain of salt, perhaps there are more bleeding hearts in the forums now. Who know? Who cares? Suck it up. If you really think the internet is the place to find warm fuzzies and cuddly hugs, you need some therapy. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Replying to a post from 2 weeks ago with a snide remark? Bless your heart... 

I would agree whole heartedly  with Little on this one. Go back 6 years and look at the old forums, lots of blunt rude posts, no whining. I wonder why that was.. Perhaps less people with thin skins were on? Perhaps more of the older generation were posting. Perhaps people knew how to take things with a grain of salt, perhaps there are more bleeding hearts in the forums now. Who know? Who cares? Suck it up. If you really think the internet is the place to find warm fuzzies and cuddly hugs, you need some therapy. 

If there's a moratorium on replying to a past post then I was unaware of it. I've only recently started reading this forae again. The topic was near the top. Two weeks is not a long time for this place.

My post was meant in pretty much agreement with yours except one one salient point. As you can see, I was, at one time, posting frequently here for quite a while. Most of that posting was when this iteration of SL Forums was brand new. My recollection of those days were that this was an extremely toxic and contentious place. Innocuous posts were reported constantly. That was the warfare. Don't like somebody or disagreed with what they had to say? Report everything and hope something sticks hard enough for them to lose their account. That's why once I found the major 3rd party forums, I've rarely looked back.

The current atmosphere here is comparatively rainbows, kittens and puppies. That was the point of my post. The history is wrong, and because of the shotgun reporting of posts, there isn't a record that can  be pointed back to that affirms my recollections. So either believe me or don't, someone else's opinion is their opinion, not mine. And believe it or not, I'm entitled to my opinion of the past atmosphere.

And more on topic, SL Forums are based on having an SL account. As far as I know, you must be at least 16 to have such an account.  So, everyone on the board is supposedly and more or less adult. I post replies like I would speak to any adult.

Finally, any snark you found in that post was your filter. None was intended. It was me, saying in a fairly light-hearted way, that I disagreed.

5 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

My post was meant in pretty much agreement with yours except one one salient point. As you can see, I was, at one time, posting frequently here for quite a while. Most of that posting was when this iteration of SL Forums was brand new. My recollection of those days were that this was an extremely toxic and contentious place. Innocuous posts were reported constantly. That was the warfare. Don't like somebody or disagreed with what they had to say? Report everything and hope something sticks hard enough for them to lose their account. 

If your only recollection of the forums is the new one, then that would be why you think such behavior you describe was "new" back then. What you describe is simply the old forums in a new venue. The old forums were harsh, gritty and would have stripped most of the new posters here to the bone in 8 posts. If your skin wasn't steel, you didn't post more than once. and yes, LL employees were there a lot. Posts got flagged faster then the time it took to open the notification. This forum is NOTHING compared to it. This is puppies, kittens and rainbows. The old one was Pinheads playground. 

Gods it was fun... 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rya Nitely said:

Dakota, calling Dakot

And we are done!

we were done long time ago, but now the "warm blanket" approach is again questioned the childish pics from Luna appear and we need to close the thread because you don't like it?
Strange discussion methods.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If your only recollection of the forums is the new one, then that would be why you think such behavior you describe was "new" back then. What you describe is simply the old forums in a new venue. The old forums were harsh, gritty and would have stripped most of the new posters here to the bone in 8 posts. If your skin wasn't steel, you didn't post more than once. and yes, LL employees were there a lot. Posts got flagged faster then the time it took to open the notification. This forum is NOTHING compared to it. This is puppies, kittens and rainbows. The old one was Pinheads playground. 

Gods it was fun... 

Well, the majority of my post count was from the prior iteration. I made a few posts on this iteration (hence only what? 10 reactions?) but the toxicity carried over at the beginning. I didn't find it so much fun, but to each their own.

So are we good?

18 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

we were done long time ago, but now the "warm blanket" approach is again questioned the childish pics from Luna appear and we need to close the thread because you don't like it?
Strange discussion methods.

No warm blanket for you, NEXT ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.