Forum becoming more negative?

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There certainly are threads that go wonky on occasion, but for the most part I think they're positive. I mainly 'hang out' on the People Forum and the Photography boards, and usually whenever a question is asked, there's a bunch of people rushing in to answer it as best as they can. I know my own tone can be pretty stern at times, but it's never my goal to get anyone to feel 'attacked' - but sometimes, some people just need to be addressed as an adult, by an adult. If anyone chose to take something as offense rather than constructive criticism or even humour, well, that's too bad.
   I think if anything, people today are more prone to taking offense - political polarization around the world, social justice, legal issues and the like sweep through social media like wildfire, and regardless of your opinion it's easy enough to find someone who disagrees. Some people even get off on finding people with different opinions to argue with because triggering people appeals to them. 

I wasn't on SL back in '04, but in an online gaming community. Our idea of screwing with each other wasn't to throw insults; we'd 'hack' each others' servers to ban people from their own clans and increase the gravity to the point that stepping off a curb would get you killed - essentially making it unplayable on their turf. But we were all in on it, there wasn't anyone crying about it - we'd pop into their Ventrilo and gigglesnort 'you b*st*rd' and look for the next opportunity punch back. And whenever there was a newbie around, everyone would tell them 'type /qui gon jin in the console to unlock this secret skin' or 'type /disco to do a funny dance' - doing so would either /quit the game or /disconnect from the server. 
   So, compared to that - SL forums on a stormy day is smooth sailing. But I can't say I've noticed anything gotten worse around here lately.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Orwar said:

sometimes, some people just need to be addressed as an adult, by an adult. If anyone chose to take something as offense rather than constructive criticism or even humour, well, that's too bad.

This!... if a post is going to go downhill it's usually because the OP didn't get the hand holding, there there poor thing, let us walk you though it. Oh really we didn't bother to all support your drama/come to your house and fix it for you/bring cookies and a soft blanket

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I have no idea who you guys are referring to.

for (x = 1; x < 11; x++)
	{
       	  _forum = _forum + _forum;
	}

But I think the forum has become much more positive.

Rewriting this as...

for (x = 1; x < 11; x++)
	{
       	  _forum<<=1;
	}

Produces the same increase in positivity by shifting to the left.

This comports well with my personal life experience.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

This!... if a post is going to go downhill it's usually because the OP didn't get the hand holding, there there poor thing, let us walk you though it. Oh really we didn't bother to all support your drama/come to your house and fix it for you/bring cookies and a soft blanket

Personally, I get bent out of shape if people question my motives.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:02 PM, Skell Dagger said:

Ah, but in the past we had the One Troll to Rule Them All, who - together with his multitudinous alts - pestered the forums. He spread himself far and wide (and very thin) across many people's patience, and - while he may have come across as a nice person to some - he did his damndest to persecute and drive away from the forum a select few people (mostly women) whom he'd set his sights on.

(And in his style of 'witty' bracketed afterthought sign-off:  boy, did he hate that I had him muted and refused to rise to his goading :D)

How long ago did we last see them? I’ve only been on for a few years.

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Because in some cases, for instance, they are questioning why I do things as if I am doing it for the “Wrong” reason; like when chose a very dark skin avatar as my alt - as if I had some agenda or negative stereotype.

That wasn't what the "Why" was for?

:ph34r:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.