GarouGrey

Roleplayers, What Would You Like To See?

Just now, GarouGrey said:

1) That may be difficult, because not all sims can handle heavy script use items such as metered combat systems, or script driven items like that one fishing spear (which is totally cool)... I've never been to a high traffic (40+ people on at once) area that used more than just dice huds, as well as had large amounts of interactive props) but I'd imagine they would be quite laggy.

2) Again, the reason a lot of items are stationary/non-interactive is that helps keep sim lag down. I've been to sims with a bunch of interactive things, and they were empty, I've been to sims with no interactive things, and they were full... It's a hit or miss. Like most things in SL, tastes can change on a dime. Animesh is coming and that will certainly help things a lot, and give more interactivity to the environments. I don't think that the activity level is a lack of options, but more a lack of interest. When you spend a lot of time making a cool sim and no one wants to take advantage, or you have to struggle with your players to actually take part in daily/weekly/monthly quests... It's not for lack of trying. However, I'll keep the idea of interactive items in mind

3) Same as above, but I'd personally would settle for better animations in the few animated items people choose to make use of.

4) People's want to do things despite never having done them before, or for not having many resources available (here I sit with a referb laptop, just barely able to do what I want it to do, and no money to really get my projects underway in areas I'm unable to manage on my own, but I still dedicate long hours for what I CAN do.) is a huge testament to how special they are. On multiple occasions I've reached out to makers and asked how they do this, or how they do that... I've been in groups doing the same thing. It's hit or miss if anyone actually talks to me. You're asking people to only do things if they are being apprenticed--- but who decides if the person they are learning under is sufficient enough at what they do 'for a living'? I didn't learn everything I know from someone else. I learned some things by making mistakes, or by not knowing the 'right' way and stumbled on a 'good/great/amazing' way to do things. And on the flip side. Some people can have all the 'expert' training in the world, but still unable to do things 'right'. Personal opinion drives everything here, and in real life.... the ONLY right way to do something is to do it the way you feel you should, it's a bonus if other people like it enough to take part in what you do.

5) I'm not so sure this reflects on what my original topic is about. Items are priced based on what the artist (and it is art) feels their time and effort are worth-- not how much the thing they have made can do. I'm currently working on a Drider, I have spent weeks on getting the rig just right because the stupid thing needs all eight legs to move, and I still have to have bones for the humanoid upper body. Do you realize how hard it is to make 8 legs move and look naturally when you only have enough bones to rig 7? Not only that, I've worked hard to overcome some visual issues as well to make my Drider more appealing aesthetically than those who have come before it. I'm having to learn how to animate as well, because I couldn't get people to animate it for me-- even with money to pay them with. I was literally told "It would take way longer for someone to learn how you rigged something than it would for you to just learn how to animate." That being true, I wasn't entirely asking for speed, I was asking for quality.

I want to provide a quality product, but I'm not making it for any one person. Expectations have to be watered down, that's the nature of "average" consumerism... you take a great many opinions, then you cut out everything that doesn't seem to repeat a trend/desire of your target market. The person next to you may have one idea of how a product should be, and the person next to them, and so on. Not only that, but we as people can only think exactly the same way WE think. We can guess, and estimate, and possibly even foresee what others might be thinking, but we will never have the ability to 100% know what a person thinks, wants, or feels.

I can only expect the best of myself, take feedback, and apply what's relative after the fact. Also, if I had to design something based on 100% the needs of all the people.... my project would never get done. This is why custom work exists.

6) This comes down to personal skill. Personally, I can't do everything. I can mesh, and I can somewhat rig.... I could offer my item as full perm, but then the original creator rarely gets any credit. No one remembers them. You also run into the issue of say... a full perm pony.... one pony having weird animations and another pony having amazing animations but terrible textures. there's no consistency, and you the customer will have to dig through aaaaaaaaall the ponies until you find one that works enough the way you want it to to be 'worth' your money. If you want a completely personal experience, tailored to your desires, needs, and environmental applications---- you'll need custom work. Custom work is expensive, and rightly so. You're asking a content creator to dedicate their time and talent to you, and only you. You're asking them to deviate from their personal formula. To think not for the whole, but for a single individual's needs and wants.

7) Did you know that Secondlife nets Linden Labs about $60Million a year? They do this by doing just enough to keep people interested in Secondlife, NOT by giving second life everything they want. I doubt the archaic platform SL runs on could even support the wants and needs of every single user. However, I would personally love to see more interpersonal relations between developers and Secondlife. There are many things SL could still improve on, but they likely won't make any of the improvements unless it's completely necessary for the functionality of their project..... I mean.... look how long it took them to go from prim to mesh, for bento, for Animesh. It's not like the ability for it didn't exist until just now (or maybe it did?)

8] What is there to do around a real big-ass city? There's going to a coffee shop, there's interacting with neighbors/shop owners/events/etc... there's going to the park... These and more are all experiences the person seeking them has to go out and create for themselves--- the facilities are already there. Do you go out to a real-life bar and expect the bar staff to move you onto the floor, pose your body along to the music, so some pretty/handsome face will notice you in order for you to take them home and bump uglies? The par provides the space, the tunes, and the liquid courage. I think the people running the show provide the best they can for as many people they can. Yes we could use more props, and yes things could be less boring-- but we as the users still have to initiate interaction.

Now, all that said... It sounds like you have some great expectations, and should totally try to apply that to your area of work. I will take from your commentary what I can and hopefully use it to improve what I make. I've already deemed that everything I make will be Mod-able, because I understand my skills in some areas are lacking, and people have the right to improve where they can... I offer UV maps so people can use better textures than mine, and I intend to have Dev-kits for people who want to make personalized objects/animations, etc... I'm choosing to help improve the experience of Secondlife by offering what I don't already see, or what I see that is visually/functionally lacking that still fits my base goals for creating... I think it's up to each one of us to do our part to improve the environment of where we call our community. Just trying to do my part here by asking questions, finding common threads, etc. I may completely deviate and do my own thing anyway--- but I'll have a better idea how to present what I've chosen to do.

you should know by now that i know my ***** ... but thanks for the lecture even if you were mistaking on a lot of this , its a such a huge wall of text i am not going to fact correct , but  lets just say its not as difficult as you claimed and that is that 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Orwar said:

I would suggest you pay Philomenaville a visit. 1910's-1920's American Small Town & community.

is this still running? would be perfect for my gothic victorian.

1 hour ago, chaosninja7 said:

is this still running? would be perfect for my gothic victorian.

The town was rebuilt last year, and appears to be steadily back in business. 

• Like 1

What RPs have you GMd @vvvRavenvvv? I'm curious to know.

(Veteran of MUSH, MUD, and SL roleplay, for more than 20 years here. I always found textual RP far more to my liking, since I could use my imagination more. SL RP has never satisfied me in the same way.)

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

What RPs have you GMd @vvvRavenvvv? I'm curious to know.

me, too

IRC StarWars RPer for 5 years, Dungeons and Dragons as well as Shadowrun for 3 years now ,SL RP experience of 9 years

(oh shush yes I know I´m way too old for such little experience but I had the wrong influence in my earlier years nerdwise??)

7 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

you should know by now that i know my ***** ... but thanks for the lecture even if you were mistaking on a lot of this , its a such a huge wall of text i am not going to fact correct , but  lets just say its not as difficult as you claimed and that is that 

Since this post isn't a debate on what makes a sim good or not, or who knows what and who doesn't, that's quite alright. As far as lecture, no, I merely replied to your list of demands with why I don't see them as possible. I fully admit they may be, but I know it's probably more than just people being lazy and not providing the wants and needs of ever single person that asks for it. I may be completely wrong, but until you provide me with such facts, verified and backed up by more than your own personal standings, or your **** as you say, I can not progress from my own understanding of things. This isn't being argumentative, by the way, this is me asking for explanation devoid of emotional response.

@Skell Dagger - I've been text based for 20 years now.... I started on WotC's rp chatroom back when I was 11. I love the necessity to use one's imagination, as it helps drive thoughtful rp. Though, I do love me some props.

Since this topic has derailed a bit, though it would make for a fantastic thread of its own, I'd love to see it get back on track.... So far we have::

• Low LI furniture
  • Period/genre clothing beyond just medieval or modern
  • Objects that can be interacted with
  • Women's clothing that is more appropriate
  • More playable races beyond what is currently available

If I've missed anything, let me know!

If we can't pull the conversation back to the original point, then I may consider having it closed. Thank you all for participating, and here's hoping for more, constructive, input.

Edited by GarouGrey

19 hours ago, ellestones said:

make what you love. When your love is poured into what you make, then we can see your heart. And we will come and join you. Live with you and/or buy your stuff. Because we are connected thru our hearts. I love this thing that someone else made for me. And by extension I love them too

The main thing I love to do is create characters. I'm one of those people who apply for characters in a sim like every week (well, not really). I think the avatar creation will certainly be my specialty. That being said, some other points that have been spoken about are also helpful. I can create avatars all I want, but clothing will be hard. I may have gone to school for Fashion Design, but that doesn't mean my poor laptop can do Cloth Simulation justice! I'll make dev kits for clothing people. There may be no one interested in making clothing for a drider, but I'd still feel better if I left that option available.

Thank you very much for this reminder. In the end, that's something I've fought very hard for. I just want to feel good about what I do, what I make, and the most important thing beyond that, is that it helps bring to life other people's dreams. It adds to their atmosphere. Helps them express themselves more.

• Like 2

More historically accurate items.
I have an 1920s sim and a sim with zones that have Roman, Tudor, 18th century France, Victorian London and 1930s New York areas and it is such a hassle to find people who actually do their research before they start making clothes and other objects.

I invited some of the best creators I could find to open a shop in my Time Portal sim but am always looking for more and still find there just aren't enough people making stuff that looks halfway decent historically speaking.

8 hours ago, Jo Yardley said:

I invited some of the best creators I could find to open a shop in my Time Portal sim

Jo, is there a dress code for that region? I'd like to check out the shops there, but if there's a theme then I'd like to adhere to it as best I can :)

There is no dress code in Time Portal, besides the obvious;

Don't show up as a nazi.

Don't be naked.

Don't be a naked nazi.

For 1920s Berlin we have the 1920s dress code.

• Haha 1

No chance of any of those three happening (although I'll warrant that you do get some doofuses who try that on). I mainly wanted to know if modern attire was suitable, and it appears that it is. Many thanks!

On 9/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, GarouGrey said:

Actually, flappers DID wear mini skirts--- if only in comparison to the full length skirts that more 'respectable' women wore during those times. What we have today are called 'Micro' skirts.

Once upon a time there were maxis, midis, minis. And now minis are called micros? I wish you people would make up my mind! xD

39 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Cant beat the sight of a below the knee A line. imho. 😥

Funny thing, as much as I love wearing minis, all of my skirts, in RL, are midis. All are at or below my knees. 

Which reminds me of how hard it is to find ladies clothing, in SL, that doesn't show so much skin and isn't medieval/ancient in appearance. Showing lots of skin has its time and place, just not all the time. I'm just not comfortable wearing "skimpy" clothing most of the time. 

All I wants are some nice skirts, blouses, dresses, pants and jackets with 3 maybe 4 inch shoes and boots. Is that too much to ask? o.O

ETA: oops Sorry for the derail. Or is it a derail? ^_^

Edited by Selene Gregoire

On 9/24/2018 at 2:54 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

^^ This - though I'd like to see more clothing from the 20s to the 70s.  I can find a lot of pre-1900 clothing and a lot of modern day clothing, but there are not a lot of choices for early-mid 1900's.  I don't necessarily know that there are that many RP sims for some of those eras, but I love dressing in those styles.

Flapper style guide. "Throroughly Modern Millie"

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Once upon a time there were maxis, midis, minis. And now minis are called micros? I wish you people would make up my mind! xD

I think there still are just maxis, midis and minis.  What's being called macros, in my opinion, is a tunic - which should be worn with leggings :)

• Like 1