GarouGrey

Roleplayers, What Would You Like To See?

On 9/22/2018 at 5:13 AM, ellestones said:

People come to chat

as much as i agree  with you that Some people do come to chat but they dont do so in role-play sims and they dont do so in game sims and they dont do so in dating sims or even Adult fun sims , also there are Chat hubs and OOC zones for that even in said sims 

HOWEVER  that is not the purpose of those sims yet they way they build and not care to optimize or simply decor with a short sighted '' they will just like it even if i didnt give them a reason to '' is like buying a car to sit in it and saying car seats are meant for sitting , while that much is true but the Car it self is meant to be driven places or at least used in away or another with its main function 

those sim builders OVERLAP this chatter aspect with the purpose of SL which is to come and make it in to whatever you want 
NOT an other copy of IMVU which it does by default :/
so wile i see what you are saying and you have some right in it , you kinda enforce missing the point  

3 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

those sim builders OVERLAP this chatter aspect with the purpose of SL which is to come and make it in to whatever you want 
NOT an other copy of IMVU which it does by default :/
so wile i see what you are saying and you have some right in it , you kinda enforce missing the point  

my point is that successful sims that attract large numbers of people are those that give those large numbers of people what they want. What the most number of people want is simplicity of purpose

Is this sim a shop ? then it better act like a shop as I have brought my own money. Is this sim a grand prix race track ? Then it better act like a grand prix race track as I have brought my own race bike. Is this sim an airport ? Then it better act like an airport as I have brought my own airplane. Is this sim a dance hall ? Then it better act like a dance hall as I have brought my own dance partner. Etc etc  

what successful sims do is provide an environment with a simply understood purpose. Its then up to us, the visitors, to bring something with us to make our experience our own. Its not up to the successful sim builder and/or owner to determine every aspect of our entertainment. They would if we were buying tickets, like a movie or show. But we aren't buying tickets. So what we get is to use the airport/racetrack/beach/dance hall/whichever, and bring our own everything else

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ellestones said:

my point is that successful sims that attract large numbers of people are those that give those large numbers of people what they want. What the most number of people want is simplicity of purpose

Is this sim a shop ? then it better act like a shop as I have brought my own money. Is this sim a grand prix race track ? Then it better act like a grand prix race track as I have brought my own race bike. Is this sim an airport ? Then it better act like an airport as I have brought my own airplane. Is this sim a dance hall ? Then it better act like a dance hall as I have brought my own dance partner. Etc etc  

what successful sims do is provide an environment with a simply understood purpose. Its then up to us, the visitors, to bring something with us to make our experience our own. Its not up to the successful sim builder and/or owner to determine every aspect of our entertainment. They would if we were buying tickets, like a movie or show. But we aren't buying tickets. So what we get is to use the airport/racetrack/beach/dance hall/whichever, and bring our own everything else

i get that but they dont even do that and i pointed out how also you missed the purpose of this topic all together 

3 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

i get that but they dont even do that and i pointed out how also you missed the purpose of this topic all together 

the topic is, what do roleplayers want to see ? want do they want ?.  If the roleplay sim is to be successful then what the roleplayers want and want to see is simplicity of purpose. When is too complicated and too much going on then they don't come back

now you might not want simplicity of purpose, and if so then you would be in the minority

Creating a roleplay region can cost many hundreds of USD, right into the thousand. From the rental/purchase of the region, through to all that is required to decorate it. It's well and good for people to say "well, this region is pretty but it's non functional" when they are not the ones paying - or only putting in L$1000 and thinking they are absolved.

On top of that, there is a hell of a lot of time required for the regions creator. Time to create the regions back story, time to write the rules, and time to build it.

In some cases it can be done better, from FPS optimisation to creating various stages for people to be in. But this is something that always takes time to learn, sometimes 5 or more attempts.

Then on top of the cost, on top of learning what works and what doesn't, roleplay regions are a weird and fickle thing. Even when you get it right and make it a wonderful functional set for the stories people will develop, in the end it's not the region that makes or breaks people, it's the core team.

The Admin staff to stop the drama from killing the region, the character leads to keep the story fresh and active and somewhat simple, the region owner to keep putting in lots and lots of real dollars.

• One small mistake in Admin staff, and the region dies.
  • Character leads being cliquey, unwelcoming and power hungry, and the region dies.
  • Region owner not putting in 28 hours work a day bopping staff drama on the head and holding it together, and the region dies.

Pray that clique never forms, once it does you will end up with 3 regulars who smell of Durian, and then in a few weeks one regular, and inside a month, a dead region.

It's not entirely the setting being simple, functional and fit for purpose, the people you hire and attract play a HUGE part in it.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's not entirely the setting being simple, functional and fit for purpose, the people you hire and attract play a HUGE part in it.

agree about the people as well

on my home sim, which is a lifestyle sim on which people roleplay, is our experience that when people make significant contributions to the sim costs then their money works as a clique breaker. We have found that the best form of significant contribution is rentals. When a person rents a parcel then they have made a choice not only to live with us, but also have accepted that stuff costs money

we do get visitors and good times can result for them. But we are not and never will be beholden to our visitors wants. We are only ever beholden to our wants,  our meaning us who pay the tiers/rents

ps. We are full and we got a waiting list

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Creating a roleplay region can cost many hundreds of USD, right into the thousand. From the rental/purchase of the region, through to all that is required to decorate it. It's well and good for people to say "well, this region is pretty but it's non functional" when they are not the ones paying - or only putting in L$1000 and thinking they are absolved.

On top of that, there is a hell of a lot of time required for the regions creator. Time to create the regions back story, time to write the rules, and time to build it.

In some cases it can be done better, from FPS optimisation to creating various stages for people to be in. But this is something that always takes time to learn, sometimes 5 or more attempts.

Then on top of the cost, on top of learning what works and what doesn't, roleplay regions are a weird and fickle thing. Even when you get it right and make it a wonderful functional set for the stories people will develop, in the end it's not the region that makes or breaks people, it's the core team.

The Admin staff to stop the drama from killing the region, the character leads to keep the story fresh and active and somewhat simple, the region owner to keep putting in lots and lots of real dollars.

• One small mistake in Admin staff, and the region dies.
  • Character leads being cliquey, unwelcoming and power hungry, and the region dies.
  • Region owner not putting in 28 hours work a day bopping staff drama on the head and holding it together, and the region dies.

Pray that clique never forms, once it does you will end up with 3 regulars who smell of Durian, and then in a few weeks one regular, and inside a month, a dead region.

so much to agree with here as you can see they spoke about actual real claims that i my self can confirm from experience and ironically ROLEPLAY is all about creating An experience , if SAID experience is not immersive then its not RP and technical bull***** IS ooc which means you just killed the purpose of the place hence the sim Dies  

@el

27 minutes ago, ellestones said:

roleplayers want and want to see is simplicity 

that is a big big claim ...when all RPers make SUUUCCCHHHHH complex bubble of threads and story lines and backgrounds and use references of events with depths MOST of which are poorly made due to the fact that not every one is an actual real Author (-____-) regardless of what they think 

MOST successful ROLE-PLAYS today ( MMORPGS for an example ) role-players only want one thing and its called >CONTENT< not simplicity <--- you cant consume simplicity 

example simple is NOT an activity its a VERY colorless description of an activity
simplicity  cant be consumed , what conveys it is what does

its scary to hear people talk like this , so much damage to so many basic human concepts it makes you wonder what the ***** ....but anyways , that is an actual claim ,in anything with the nature of such creations even if it was a classic RP on forum pages THEY ARE ALL built with that as the fuel of what keeps people busy, active , engaged and etc Content is what does that

also the topic is says ''roleplayers''<-- that is US ,what you like to see? ''<--that is the question , it asked what would we like to see NOT what state its in  for you to say oh we want it simple ......you made an EC fallacy
what i would like to see is actual experts doing the work rather then have every being with a keyboard talk about such a complex sophisticated dynamic creation  like they know better  and what is worse is them claiming that they know what we want 
those people with THAT much Cash dont always have the skill or know how or any of the requirements to make a thing worth doing , artists do those sim owners should hire them the way companies hire video game developers 
you are Creating  ( or re-projecting ) an universe and including EVERY one in a dynamic way without giving them training wheels or gate keeping IS A professional's JOB
people take YEEAAAARRRSSS of training and human developments and core mechanics and game theory of study and practice to even wrap their heads around , there is soo much to tackle 
that is why RP was BiG BACK in SL early days , NOT EVERY ONE saw it as a TREND to make whatever fantasy ,   selective people with resources and skill came together to use SL tools to make some thing and some of those are still alive until today even if they are very underrated but you cant deny the quality  and value and FUN  with depth and life tame with personification and identity in EVERY touch

that is what role-play is ... living in  a place , a world , a universe , a moment 
no matter how simple or complex .... such a claim should not be made characters are complex beings even if they are projected simply 
and so is activity which is the Core of any interactive virtual world !
combine both and you need an expert not some one throwing hollow claims based on opinion from a narrow view  
we live in an age where video game communities  are formed every where online and in clubs and in fandom pages and sooo on its NOT hard at all to see what the people Gamers / role-players / game makers /consumers / adventure seekers / artists want /average joes etc you dont need to speak for them ...in fact no one does but no matter what you want to call it its still is BY definition called CONTENT  
CONTENT  can be ANNYYYTTTHHINNNGGG big or small long or short consumed ,  a line of text  a fun mechanic a concept a mini game an art work ANYTHING no matter how simple or complex so no your claim regarding the matter does not work and you said you are a sim owner , like many people LIKE YOU this is ALARMING you all share this mentality and build an argument based on ignorant , with respect that is actually  the REL terminology for this act and its a logical fallacy 

i urge people to read the topic and compare the talk happening here to other shappning in other video game forums or mmos of even PRO- RP forum pages since some folk seem to think that video games are not RP which is stupid and retorted in its core of a claim for many reasons but just to avoid that slide of topic which people WILL use knowing  the nature of some...ugh

anyways i think this will do ....so please it would help if some people could do SOME HOME WORK before throwing claims and sliding off topic and speaking from ignorant and i hope no one takes this personally . 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

1 minute ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

so please it would help if some people could do SOME HOME WORK before throwing claims and sliding off topic and speaking from ignorant and i hope no one takes this personally . 

I don't have to do homework. I just do the daily business of maintaining a lifestyle/roleplay sim that pays its  own way

if you do want what you want then do like I do every day. Build a sim that has everything that you want. Then when there is enough people who want the same thing then they will contribute toward the cost. Until you actually do this then you are theorising about what people want. Which is fine, theory is always good. Theory don't pay the bills tho, application does

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellestones said:

I don't have to do homework. I just do the daily business of maintaining a lifestyle/roleplay sim that pays its  own way

if you do want what you want then do like I do every day. Build a sim that has everything that you want. Then when there is enough people who want the same thing then they will contribute toward the cost. Until you actually do this then you are theorising about what people want. Which is fine, theory is always good. Theory don't pay the bills tho, application does

lol as much as i wanna say thereis no right and wrong 
doing some thing does not mean you are doing it properly 
just keep that in mind

also saying    ''if you do want what you want'' you just made a logical fallacy ...
i know you dont have ill intentions with what you are saying but it is harmful , a harmful way of thinking and is a harmful practice to such an intellectual thing 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

Just now, vvvRavenvvv said:

lol as much as i wanna say thereis no right and wrong 
doing some thing does not mean you are doing it properly 
just keep that in mind sweety

i be happy to come to your sim anytime. I be even happier to come back 12 months later

2 minutes ago, ellestones said:

i be happy to come to your sim anytime. I be even happier to come back 12 months later

i dont have one , i stoped working on SL i work on unreal 4 engine, i dont have the money to keep  a sim going and try to get an investor to keep a place up for me to finish every thing 
however , the content that was used on the sim is a life and people use it in their own creations and their own sci-fi rp as it should be 
items , objects , systems , come together to make a world , a world of which you sink in 
that is how RP is made 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

6 minutes ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

i dont have one , i stoped working on SL i work on unreal 4 engine

however , the content that was used on the sim is a life and people use it in their own creations and their own sci-fi rp as it should be 
items , objects , systems , come together to make a world , a world of which you sink in 
that is how RP is made 

that is a project worth having a go at

as we are both aware SL restricts us quite severely in what we can do. if we even had half of what could be done with direct inworld script access to the environment engine and the UI, even if sandboxed, I would be pretty happy

17 minutes ago, ellestones said:

that is a project worth having a go at

as we are both aware SL restricts us quite severely in what we can do. if we even had half of what could be done with direct inworld script access to the environment engine and the UI, even if sandboxed, I would be pretty happy

actually SL is not that bad however devolpment takes a VERY long time and having a sim you have to PAY for every day you do work is costly NOT to mention i live in Libya some times i dont get to have electricity and internet  for months so i  end up paying for some thing i dont get to use

system wise yes SL can be primitive  HOWEVER there are a faaarrrrr older virtual spaces and games and such that has Depth in its coding and systems ,SL is one of those the LSL is not that bad ! , i suck at coding and i STILL love toying with it you can creation all sorts oif in world functions which SERVE RP a lot more then an IU in fact THAT IS a thing i in all of my creations , when you walk to a chest you wan tto see what is in it not see IU when you look at a screen you want to see real information on it NOT just a loop picture etc etc YES some things Cant be done on SL but with enough creativity YOU CAN CREATE EVERY THING 

you wanna hear what i Really and personally think ?
here is what i want to see for sl rp 
i want people to make mod friendly systems 
for all sorts of functions so people can create RP friendly content 
and make their own visions come true 
i want sims to have more then looking around and standing typing slowly walls of text as if its an AFK meeting 
i want people to make use of animations and visuals and dynamic system mechanics rather then have an idiot tell us about how the door nub feels in his hand as he opens the door in his effen post rendering SL visuals and our own experience useless because he thinks i *****ing care 
i want people to understand that they are not that special , and they need to learn from those who do this for a living 
i want people to demand more for what they pay and stop watering down expectations and complaining about those who wish to change that by kissing admin asses
i want sl rp creators to make functions and sell them and not link them to a product so we can buy whatever we want and include it to whatever RP we want and not have it go exclusive 
i want SL RP developers and content creators to have a hub where they an work on some compatibility  administrated by SL staff
i want SL to support sim owners who make content and make RP like experiences rather then make a BIG ass city with nothing to do but have rentals 
i want things of that sort 

every body wins on every aspect and the community will be SO MUCH RICHER   

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Jason Momoa and Benedict Cumberbatch making out in my shower.

I'm coming round. Shower gel ready.  You handle Benedict,  I'll take Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I'm coming round. Shower gel ready.  You handle Benedict,  I'll take Jason

Does dropping shower gel equate to dropping soap in the shower? If so, hand the shower gel to Benny and Jase.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does dropping shower gel equate to dropping soap in the shower? If so, hand the shower gel to Benny and Jase.

You live your fantasy,  I am working on mine with Rhonda  hush.. crucial moment

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

1) i want people to make mod friendly systems for all sorts of functions so people can create RP friendly content and make their own visions come true 
2) i want sims to have more then looking around and standing typing slowly walls of text as if its an AFK meeting 
3) i want people to make use of animations and visuals and dynamic system mechanics rather then have an idiot tell us about how the door nub feels in his hand as he opens the door in his effen post rendering SL visuals and our own experience useless because he thinks i *****ing care 
4) i want people to understand that they are not that special , and they need to learn from those who do this for a living 
5) i want people to demand more for what they pay and stop watering down expectations and complaining about those who wish to change that by kissing admin asses
6) i want sl rp creators to make functions and sell them and not link them to a product so we can buy whatever we want and include it to whatever RP we want and not have it go exclusive 
7) i want SL RP developers and content creators to have a hub where they an work on some compatibility  administrated by SL staff
8] i want SL to support sim owners who make content and make RP like experiences rather then make a BIG ass city with nothing to do but have rentals

1) That may be difficult, because not all sims can handle heavy script use items such as metered combat systems, or script driven items like that one fishing spear (which is totally cool)... I've never been to a high traffic (40+ people on at once) area that used more than just dice huds, as well as had large amounts of interactive props) but I'd imagine they would be quite laggy.

2) Again, the reason a lot of items are stationary/non-interactive is that helps keep sim lag down. I've been to sims with a bunch of interactive things, and they were empty, I've been to sims with no interactive things, and they were full... It's a hit or miss. Like most things in SL, tastes can change on a dime. Animesh is coming and that will certainly help things a lot, and give more interactivity to the environments. I don't think that the activity level is a lack of options, but more a lack of interest. When you spend a lot of time making a cool sim and no one wants to take advantage, or you have to struggle with your players to actually take part in daily/weekly/monthly quests... It's not for lack of trying. However, I'll keep the idea of interactive items in mind

3) Same as above, but I'd personally would settle for better animations in the few animated items people choose to make use of.

4) People's want to do things despite never having done them before, or for not having many resources available (here I sit with a referb laptop, just barely able to do what I want it to do, and no money to really get my projects underway in areas I'm unable to manage on my own, but I still dedicate long hours for what I CAN do.) is a huge testament to how special they are. On multiple occasions I've reached out to makers and asked how they do this, or how they do that... I've been in groups doing the same thing. It's hit or miss if anyone actually talks to me. You're asking people to only do things if they are being apprenticed--- but who decides if the person they are learning under is sufficient enough at what they do 'for a living'? I didn't learn everything I know from someone else. I learned some things by making mistakes, or by not knowing the 'right' way and stumbled on a 'good/great/amazing' way to do things. And on the flip side. Some people can have all the 'expert' training in the world, but still unable to do things 'right'. Personal opinion drives everything here, and in real life.... the ONLY right way to do something is to do it the way you feel you should, it's a bonus if other people like it enough to take part in what you do.

5) I'm not so sure this reflects on what my original topic is about. Items are priced based on what the artist (and it is art) feels their time and effort are worth-- not how much the thing they have made can do. I'm currently working on a Drider, I have spent weeks on getting the rig just right because the stupid thing needs all eight legs to move, and I still have to have bones for the humanoid upper body. Do you realize how hard it is to make 8 legs move and look naturally when you only have enough bones to rig 7? Not only that, I've worked hard to overcome some visual issues as well to make my Drider more appealing aesthetically than those who have come before it. I'm having to learn how to animate as well, because I couldn't get people to animate it for me-- even with money to pay them with. I was literally told "It would take way longer for someone to learn how you rigged something than it would for you to just learn how to animate." That being true, I wasn't entirely asking for speed, I was asking for quality.

I want to provide a quality product, but I'm not making it for any one person. Expectations have to be watered down, that's the nature of "average" consumerism... you take a great many opinions, then you cut out everything that doesn't seem to repeat a trend/desire of your target market. The person next to you may have one idea of how a product should be, and the person next to them, and so on. Not only that, but we as people can only think exactly the same way WE think. We can guess, and estimate, and possibly even foresee what others might be thinking, but we will never have the ability to 100% know what a person thinks, wants, or feels.

I can only expect the best of myself, take feedback, and apply what's relative after the fact. Also, if I had to design something based on 100% the needs of all the people.... my project would never get done. This is why custom work exists.

6) This comes down to personal skill. Personally, I can't do everything. I can mesh, and I can somewhat rig.... I could offer my item as full perm, but then the original creator rarely gets any credit. No one remembers them. You also run into the issue of say... a full perm pony.... one pony having weird animations and another pony having amazing animations but terrible textures. there's no consistency, and you the customer will have to dig through aaaaaaaaall the ponies until you find one that works enough the way you want it to to be 'worth' your money. If you want a completely personal experience, tailored to your desires, needs, and environmental applications---- you'll need custom work. Custom work is expensive, and rightly so. You're asking a content creator to dedicate their time and talent to you, and only you. You're asking them to deviate from their personal formula. To think not for the whole, but for a single individual's needs and wants.

7) Did you know that Secondlife nets Linden Labs about $60Million a year? They do this by doing just enough to keep people interested in Secondlife, NOT by giving second life everything they want. I doubt the archaic platform SL runs on could even support the wants and needs of every single user. However, I would personally love to see more interpersonal relations between developers and Secondlife. There are many things SL could still improve on, but they likely won't make any of the improvements unless it's completely necessary for the functionality of their project..... I mean.... look how long it took them to go from prim to mesh, for bento, for Animesh. It's not like the ability for it didn't exist until just now (or maybe it did?)

8] What is there to do around a real big-ass city? There's going to a coffee shop, there's interacting with neighbors/shop owners/events/etc... there's going to the park... These and more are all experiences the person seeking them has to go out and create for themselves--- the facilities are already there. Do you go out to a real-life bar and expect the bar staff to move you onto the floor, pose your body along to the music, so some pretty/handsome face will notice you in order for you to take them home and bump uglies? The par provides the space, the tunes, and the liquid courage. I think the people running the show provide the best they can for as many people they can. Yes we could use more props, and yes things could be less boring-- but we as the users still have to initiate interaction.

Now, all that said... It sounds like you have some great expectations, and should totally try to apply that to your area of work. I will take from your commentary what I can and hopefully use it to improve what I make. I've already deemed that everything I make will be Mod-able, because I understand my skills in some areas are lacking, and people have the right to improve where they can... I offer UV maps so people can use better textures than mine, and I intend to have Dev-kits for people who want to make personalized objects/animations, etc... I'm choosing to help improve the experience of Secondlife by offering what I don't already see, or what I see that is visually/functionally lacking that still fits my base goals for creating... I think it's up to each one of us to do our part to improve the environment of where we call our community. Just trying to do my part here by asking questions, finding common threads, etc. I may completely deviate and do my own thing anyway--- but I'll have a better idea how to present what I've chosen to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Jason Momoa and Benedict Cumberbatch making out in my shower.

Eh... I'd rather just listen to Cumberbatch. Jason Momoa is.... boring. He's the same person in every roll I've seen him play-- except in Game of Thrones where he barely spoke and when he did it wasn't in english, so that was somewhat different.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, Respectful1lady said:

I would love to find 50s and 60s clothing made for my mesh bodies (  I have the top 3 brands) then I could fit into a 50s theme RP. Or just enjoy dressing like Monroe. ?

^^ This - though I'd like to see more clothing from the 20s to the 70s.  I can find a lot of pre-1900 clothing and a lot of modern day clothing, but there are not a lot of choices for early-mid 1900's.  I don't necessarily know that there are that many RP sims for some of those eras, but I love dressing in those styles.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

^^ This - though I'd like to see more clothing from the 20s to the 70s.  I can find a lot of pre-1900 clothing and a lot of modern day clothing, but there are not a lot of choices for early-mid 1900's.  I don't necessarily know that there are that many RP sims for some of those eras, but I love dressing in those styles.

There are for the 30s, and at least you can wear 50s stuff each year at Vintage fair ;)

I would like to see more realistical stuff. Real history one you know, compare all your bejeweled fantasy armour and swords to the real stuff found at Sutton Hoo or Valsgärde. And please for all that's holy: read the blogs eshergirls  and repairherarmour (currenty on hiatus) before designing any more female armour... thanks. (I don't say plate mail lingerie does not have it's place, but it belongs to fetish, not roleplay)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GarouGrey said:

... I can only expect the best of myself, take feedback, and apply what's relative after the fact. Also, if I had to design something based on 100% the needs of all the people.... my project would never get done. This is why custom work exists.

.. my base goals for creating... I think it's up to each one of us to do our part to improve the environment of where we call our community. Just trying to do my part here by asking questions, finding common threads, etc. I may completely deviate and do my own thing anyway--- but I'll have a better idea how to present what I've chosen to do.

you wrote some good thoughts. I just pick up on the parts quoted

like you say, is difficult to please everyone when making stuff or experiences for others

so I will relate what I told someone else. A story, and what happened

a friend invited me to go to a sim to meet some other friends of hers. Four of them - 2 couples. For quite a few years they were happy with their sim. A olde worlde rural-based theme roleplay. Then after a time, their vistor numbers declined. Lesser and lesser new people joining the group. Even while a few of their personal friends would continue to drop by. The decline came because the theme fell out of favour/vogue in the visitors/consumers market

so when the theme fell out of vogue they decided to totally change the theme. From olde worlde to a modern city. What happened was that their visitor numbers didn't increase. Worse, their personal friends didn't come as often either. Due to their friends prefering the rural setting. So the four of them ended up pretty much alone on their sim most of the time

Their question to me was: Why is this? These 4 people are really nice, well-mannered, friendly and obliging. So they wonder what are we doing wrong. Not what are the people who don't come are doing wrong. What are we doing wrong ?

my answer was: Do you actually like living in this city? Would you pay to live in this city if the sim was owned by another person ? Their answer after a bit of a laugh: No

there you go then I said. When people come here, people like me a visitor, we can feel your discomfort. We see your distraction and your lack of enthusiasm. Even tho this city is fabulously built, it has no heart. Your hearts are not in it, even tho you are really nice people

so they ask me, if this was your sim what would you do?  My answer to them was: This is your home. Build your home around your hearts. If nobody else ever comes ever again then you will still want to live here. Is where your heart is

and then I say: I can drive a good bulldozer! And thats what we did. Bulldozed the whole lot. Months and months of work. Brmmm! and gone. They all go omg! when was empty flat green. What we gunna do ?

and then I say rez stuff from your inventory that you love. So I can see your hearts visibly manifested in stuff. So they did that. And all this upmarket manorial stuff came piling out. None of which was in the city, and after a bit of chat, it turned out wasn't rezzed on the previous theme either

I was like: seriously people ?! and they were all like: we know ?!

so I say ok then, which of these manor buildngs do you love the most ? If nobody else ever came ever, would you love the building? So they picked one and then we built the sim. Upmarket rural as opposed to downmarket rural as was before. And people came back. Old friends dropping by more frequently, new friends being made, people moving in. Went from being a group of roleplayers, to a home community that roleplays. Through parcelling we allow people to also express themselves individually. Rental parcels are the equivalent of season box tickets in a sense. Decorate your season box as you prefer, while not doing anything that would be totally contradictory to the overall ambience

my point I am making to you OP, is the same point I made to my friends. If nobody ever came, if nobody ever bought this, would I love to live with what I made, would I love to wear what I made ?

if not then don't make it

make what you love. When your love is poured into what you make, then we can see your heart. And we will come and join you. Live with you and/or buy your stuff. Because we are connected thru our hearts. I love this thing that someone else made for me. And by extension I love them too

• Like 6