GarouGrey

Roleplayers, What Would You Like To See?

Q: Roleplayers, what would you like to see, either in general, or just more of, on the marketplace?

The question expanded:

As someone with a basic understanding of how business works, I know that most successful businesses take part in market research. That is to say, they ask people questions about what they want, what they like, favorite colors, etc. Then, they develop a target market; If I'm a company that makes sports equipment, my target market would be people who play sports or places that need sports equipment, like school, and so on. Knowing these things is what helps give direction to a business, as well as helps them prevent waste-- be it wasting time, money, or supplies. If you know what you need to make, chances are, you're not going to spend a lot of time or effort trying to figure out what you should make.

As a long time roleplayer, I understand the importance of props, as well as the importance of atmosphere (garb, structures, etc.) What I don't have a grasp of is what people beyond myself really wish they could find more of. I understand Secondlife could use a lot more mens oriented items in general, and that fantasy/medieval avatars and avatar accessories are somewhat lacking. So, my question(s) for you.... What would you like to see more of? Is there something you really wish you could find, but can't seem to?

P.S. Wish I knew how to create a poll.

Edited by GarouGrey
tags
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GarouGrey said:

I understand Secondlife could use a lot more mens oriented items in general

Yes.

Search Marketplace for 'Victorian' or 'Edwardian' and narrow your results down to male apparel. You're left looking at 2008 again. Clothing layers and flexiprim coat bottoms. Search for 'Rococo' or 'Baroque' under male apparel and you find exactly the same.

If a male avatar wants to find accurate, good quality historical mesh apparel he has to either:

• In the case of Victorian he might be able to cobble one or two looks together by shopping around: a tailcoat from here (Hotdog's latest at We ❤️ Roleplay was a delight to find, and their mainstore holds a very small but beautiful selection of items in a Tim Burtonesque style that's nonetheless suitable for the era) and a pair of pants that LOOK a bit Victorian from there; top hats aplenty, but whither the shoes and how many stores does he have to sift through to find something that works and fits with the pants he's chosen?
  • In the case of Rococo he might... as well give up, or visit the one store (Le Grenier du Château) that stocks a few items of quality male mesh 18thC apparel on Marketplace.

Men's medieval clothing? Well, as long as you don't mind looking like you came straight out of Gor, you'll be fine. Not knocking the likes of PFC - their stuff is incredible - but again it's a case of having to pick and choose what you buy. (Actually, there's a little bit more leeway here; I have seen some decent male mesh basics in a more medieval style, but only at that one event, and the selection over the years has been limited.)

When women can go to I ❤️ Roleplay and pick up items like the gorgeously-faithful mesh repro of Anne of Cleves' dress that's out at the current event, why can't men find Lestat's blue satin coat, or a classic Victorian morning coat AND pants?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Yep -- I wonder if a lot of Victorian/period clothes designers, especially hobbyists, found themselves in a similar situation to me: a bit unsure about learning how to rig, especially as Victorian outfits, my fav. time period, tend to be quite complex. Buying templates in this case isn't much of an option, because there's three templates or so that everyone's using. I stopped creating clothes for a while (a loooong while, actually, but the last couple of years was only because of computer issues). Sure, I'm back, but you won't see me doing super-complex Victorian gowns for a while (I'm more into dude or tomboy clothes anyway ?).

There's plenty of choice for casual/modern clothes, so I'm hoping other designers will start thinking of other time periods. I've spotted Mycenaean outfits recently, which is great. Hotdog is awesome for gothic/steampunk.

In the end, I think it boils down to sales figures. Casual and sexy sell to a broad range of customers. Anything that's niche will have, by definition, a smaller market... so will tend to attract hobbyists with a keen interest in the subject, but maybe not as much time or resources as the big brand names out there. On the plus side, rigged mesh has matured by now, so hopefully we'll start getting a bit more choice.

I always wore Victorian fashion back in my pre-mesh days. Now I'm stuck with a very select few getups that stick to that theme, and I'd love (or kill) to see more of it available. Edwardian fashion, well, some of Deadwool's stuff, but that's about it as well - Kauna had plenty, some of which can be worn with mesh bodies if you alpha out everything but your hands, but I -think- that store is gone now, as they were giving away everything in their store a while back.

Medieval/Fantasy has more options, PFC as Skell mentioned, Noble Creations has some. Can't really name any other stores off the top of my head, I think RO has some gacha sets that work with at least some of the modern mesh bodies if you're into that. 

I'd love to see something like BlakOpal but doing mesh for the bodies we use today - I probably owned 90% of their menswear, and that alone was the reason I didn't want to get a mesh body at first. Pirate, Goth, Victorian, and just a touch of Edwardian here & there - but most of all; Steampunk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Medieval/Fantasy has more options, PFC as Skell mentioned, Noble Creations has some. Can't really name any other stores off the top of my head

Just remembered The Forge as well, so there's a third for medieval.

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

but most of all; Steampunk

You never know, Orwar. We might get lucky. Someone might release some steampunk... sweatpants!

tenor.gif?itemid=10229782

• Haha 6

Clothing is complex, period. You have to have a computer capable of running Marvelous Designer (at least 8G ram) or at the very least beefy enough to run Cloth Simulator in Blender on the settings it needs to run.. (again, lots of ram) And that's not even bringing rigging into play. I'm hoping as my skills progress I can do clothing. I love medieval fantasy personally, but I'm not meshing for me. I want to expand on variety of things available for roleplayers across the board (except modern, they got plenty)

One thing I REALLY want to work towards is creating a grimoire of creature avatar, like skimming through a monster manual from D&D or WW. My skills in rigging aren't quite there yet.

Funny enough, for all the suggestions of Victorian, Edwardian clothing--- I actually went to college for fashion design. Sadly, the pinical of men's clothing has been the 3-piece for like..... a loooooooooong time. Clothing has mostly been driven by women's styles, as men in the human race don't need much in the way of past the tudor era. Moving away from volumes of cloth portraying wealth to how bespoke one's clothing can be, how exotic the fibers, etc. Did you know it was at one point punishable by death if a woman wore lace? Lace and high heels were actually designed for men. Specifically, men of status.

Fun stuff fashion.

I'll put a bookmark on the Victorian and Edwardian style.... Sadly, I've never been very creative when it comes to Steampunk, but I'll bookmark that as well.

Keep the wants, and ideas coming, folks.... if more than just myself see this, the perhaps we can indeed change the climate of the Marketplace.!

• Like 2

I'm a woman with a female avatar and I find it hard to find appropriate RP clothing. I would love:

• Historically accurate-ish clothing. Ancient Roman women and flappers didn't wear mini-skirts. 
  • Steampunk styles that aren't skimpy. 
  • Futuristic/cyberpunk/post-apoc styles that aren't skimpy. If I'm scavenging in a toxic wasteland, I'm not doing it in a midriff and mini-skirt.
  • And I want it all in fitmesh.

There's a theme here. It's a big ask, I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

You never know, Orwar. We might get lucky.

that´s what I read first every time I hit this thread.... XD

2 hours ago, Jupiter Firelyte said:

I'm a woman with a female avatar and I find it hard to find appropriate RP clothing. I would love:

• Historically accurate-ish clothing. Ancient Roman women and flappers didn't wear mini-skirts. 
  • Steampunk styles that aren't skimpy. 
  • Futuristic/cyberpunk/post-apoc styles that aren't skimpy. If I'm scavenging in a toxic wasteland, I'm not doing it in a midriff and mini-skirt.
  • And I want it all in fitmesh.

There's a theme here. It's a big ask, I know.

^This right there!^

ph and I wouldn´t mind some non-skimpy punkish clothes for urban RP... that´s decreased massively as well (and no, not everything - including torn pantyhoses and fishnets is necessarily skimpy ;P). Usually punk and goth fashion is the same as this "fabric allergic could be clubbing fashion or workgear for the ones in the oldest industry of all industries" stuff, so my characters are...yeah... not fully dressed the way they would be

• Like 3

Actually, flappers DID wear mini skirts--- if only in comparison to the full length skirts that more 'respectable' women wore during those times. What we have today are called 'Micro' skirts.

I digress. I will see what I can do to make clothes that cover more than the 'warrior princess' zones. I never did care for skimpy clothing. I get sick of it as is in the real world. Halloween is just tasteless now.

16 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Someone might release some steampunk... sweatpants!

Steampunk is 19th Century...

"Perspiration Trousers"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jupiter Firelyte said:

Historically accurate-ish clothing. Ancient Roman women and flappers didn't wear mini-skirts. 

When you say "Ancient Roman women" are you talking Ancient Roman women or women in Ancient Rome.

Many of the latter would wear very skimpy clothing if any at all. And even the Roman Matrons could and would peel down for Saturnalia.

2 hours ago, GarouGrey said:

clothes that cover more than the 'warrior princess' zones

And again... Ancient Greek warriors of the 6th C bce often fought naked, Celtic warriors in the iberian peninsular fought in a coat of whitewash decorated with woad, and in India, many of the Rulers employed female guards in their palaces who wore nothing but sandals and a cotton kilt, and a belt to hang their swords from.

Medieval Ireland... The common garment worn by Irish Kerns was called a leine, its a baggy orangey yellow shirt, worn as a tunic that barely reaches past your crotch.

If making "historically accurate clothing", check the history first, rather than relying on "American Puritan Squeamishness" and it's obsession with ankle length hessian gunnysack fashions, Bible Style...

Assuming historical clothing means covered from ankle to newck is as historically inaccurate as that other classic RP convention...

"Chanmail, Scalemail and Platemail"

What I know of Ancient roman attire is from 5th century B.C.E, the iconic Toga and Stola. However, it's likely that most the working class and poor wore just the tunica.. The sad truth about fashion is we don't know much about what the poor and thus the majority of people actually wore, as most depictions we have are of the rich or moderately upper class. At least, from what I can tell-- I may have gone to school for fashion design, but that's not to say my education was anywhere near perfect, and "A History of Fashion" was a rather boring class.

Yes Chainmail is inaccurate. Known only as Maille, Scale and Plate armor. The warrior princess zone is what I refer to as the armor that covers only the bikini area. Mostly fueled by western tv/movies. If a culture wore armored bikinis, I've never heard of them... likely because they all died due to ineffective protection. But that's just be being snarky. I think the main point is that we can have clothing look like it's from a particular point in time without devolving into the 'sex sells' area. Yes, sex sells, and I could join the ranks of sellers fueled by the idea that's what women should or want to wear, or I can offer something else.

Now, going back to ancient Rome, I know they borrowed heavily from the Greeks and the Etruscans, but I don't think that the skimpy stuff was considered the norm. As far as fighting naked during battle, many cultures did that as a form of intimidation. "They are either crazy, or they are so good that they don't need armor." It's more likely that the nudity would have been prevalent within the poor class, and not represented in the more upper classes--- which is where people want to draw inspirations from for clothing. Those gorgeous Victorian and Edwardian gowns? Stunning as they are, were mostly for people who could afford them, more modest attire would have been more likely in the working class and more so in the poor class.

Given what I know of Rome (which isn't much) It's more likely the scant styles came from outer inspiration. Satyrnalias were later frowned upon for how women would behave at them, and in fact for a chunk of time, it was illegal to laugh and sing in public. Women were property and the only women who were even remotely close to being free, and equal to men were prostitutes. We also have accounts over the fact the Romans were extremely strict about how their clothing was to be worn, and much like the modern father who wouldn't allow his daughter to go out dressed like 'that', I doubt very much the Roman would have allowed anyone of standing to make a mockery of their traditions. Again, I could be wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL that aside, if I were to start making clothing, I'd very much sit down and study the artical in which I want to create before offering it for sale. I'd want to get the cut, and patterns/colors right.

• Like 1

I also feel like there are some options missing in women's clothing. I would love to see more like, medieval fantasy rogue, thief, assassin-type fashion. It's often been my issue that there's a lot of either big fancy gowns or super skimpy outfits, but harder to find anything in between. I don't need outfits that are historically accurate, if anything I prefer original, unique fantasy-inspired clothes and armor.

I also totally support the creature avatars idea! SL could sooo use more good monsters and realistic animal people-races like, I don't know, tabaxi, gnolls, kobolds, and so on.

• Like 2

OH! Tabaxi (I'm a fan of the Leonin), Gnolls, Kobalds, dragons that don't take up half a sim, mind flayers, MYCONIDS--- I have a myconid but it was the first thing I made and therefore not sell worthy. XD

I think the furniture could do well on my props side of things. I do have a store, it's called Creature Comforts , and a group, Creature Comforts [Main] for those not opposed to suffering through the starting up of my store (or my shameless plugging). Right now I'm working on a nice avatar add-on that I hope to release for Halloween or quickly after. I try and keep people updated as to my progress, even if I know it will be slow going. I make no claims to be good at what I'm doing, still LOADS to learn, but if I can release a product now and then I'll be happy.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 3:05 AM, Skell Dagger said:

Search Marketplace for 'Victorian' or 'Edwardian' and narrow your results down to male apparel. You're left looking at 2008 again. Clothing layers and flexiprim coat bottoms.

This. I've been interested in Edwardian era roleplay as a concept, (I'm considering doing a town build of some kind) and have cobbled some clothes together out of bits and pieces of things. Thanks to Deadwool I can fake it with suits, but it would be great to have other options too. Sport clothes, like a tennis sweater or football outfit. Pajamas. Undewear. Sweaters. Like all clothing in SL, the men have very little to choose from, and tank tops and sweat pants just won't do it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gareth Kanarik said:

(I'm considering doing a town build of some kind)

I would suggest you pay Philomenaville a visit. 1910's-1920's American Small Town & community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

I would suggest you pay Philomenaville a visit. 1910's-1920's American Small Town & community.

Thanks. I know the folks at Philomena and even had a house there for a while, a really cool place!

• Like 1

people recently seem to only care about making BIGGER sims with MORE static objects in them or making some thing that looks like an ON A Rail with an END Goal ''sim '' i would like to see that DIE AND GO AWAY!

RP is about us playing a role fitting a world in a time playing a persona , give us some Efffffeeen rooom to do that !!
with the updates and upgrades on SL systems , LSL and mesh and such , make more optimized visuals , make it dynamic give those static decorations some functions and for the LOVE of the stars make RP great again and not based on a BUY to Win nonsense

also who said a HUD and meter is bad ? its only bad when its poorly created and based on Defuse of fairness , since most of those creators are not game creators and have no understanding of Game theory   and concept 
so many sims open and close every day because of the reasons listed above and only adult fun sims seem to grow ALSO because of that 

just take it and do some thing with it , make more dynamic functions with every thing to add more activities and more options for every one to use in to creating their PR worlds and also Sim builders should understand we dont come to SL to look at static decor and '' pretend '' we come to have an experience which means activity not watching Scenery 

• Like 1

I want more options for genre roleplaying (sci-fi, fantasy other than elves, post-apocalypse, etc, rather than just modern day family roleplay), specifically in the way of older kids (tween to teen) or age/gender neutral props. The male side of costumes is also absolutely dire. There really isn't much out there for kids or men, both in terms of avatar options as well as roleplaying opportunities. It's really hard to build costumes and characters in 2018 when there's either nothing available at all or what is there is texture clothing and high-complexity prim accessories.

On 9/11/2018 at 10:30 AM, GarouGrey said:

I understand Secondlife could use a lot more mens oriented items in general,

Female items are simply more profitable. The frequency of women shopping for cloth and hair Vs men shopping for cloth and hair is way out of scale. On other platforms my female products takes up only 10% of my catalog while generating more than 50% of total profit. Male cloth on the other hand sells once in a while, for the same time spent I simply would choose to make more female products. 

Neutral products are ok, their sales is about the same as male products. I would say start on female products to get a steady bankroll then subcontract work out for male products.

Not personally into the furry lifestyle but they make great customers. To setup a furry you need skin, fur, tail, ears and on top of that they mostly don't roll around naked so you get cloth on top of the whole lot, in the virtual realm, that is the best customers you want. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, iamyourneighbour said:

Male cloth on the other hand sells once in a while, for the same time spent I simply would choose to make more female products. 

That just makes the situation worse. Men don't shop because there's nothing to buy. And people look at the lack of clothing and accessories for men and decide to do something else. Yes, stuff for women sells better. But that's not an excuse to only make content for women. Not everything has to be solely for profit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 11:32 PM, vvvRavenvvv said:

Sim builders should understand we dont come to SL to look at static decor and '' pretend '' we come to have an experience which means activity not watching Scenery 

Sim builders do understand this

what they also understand is that most people don't come to popular sims for extensively elaborate activities. People come to chat, socialise, bump/dance pixels, play table games, shop, and hunt for gifts. Many has been the sim builder who has spend months and months building elaborate activities and their daily patronage is counted in single figures