Who do I contact about removing group owners!?

LadyJane Bailey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've not logged in for awhile and as I was about to deed a group to land, when I found that all members were now made Owners. I am the founder of the group. I did not authorize this change and I have just changed my password before making this post. What do I do to get these people removed from Owner status without making a new group???

18 answers to this question

I've been here since 2007 myself, and I cannot recall that founders have ever had any special privileges over other group owners.  Like the others here, I can recall unusual cases -- a death of an owner or some other certifiable event in RL that incapacitated an owner -- when LL has decided to remove an owner, favoring the group's founder.  Those circumstances are very rare, as far as I know.  I belong to at least two groups that have owners who have not been around for years, one of whom died in 2010.  It happens.  When it's truly important, the best move is to start a new group, invite your loyal members from the old group to join, and get on with life.

• Like 1

You don't.  Once you made someone else a co-Owner, you gave that person power equal to your own.  If she added other people as Owners, they are as legitimate as if you had added them. An Owner cannot be removed (although in some circumstances, I believe LL will remove an owner if thEy have proof that the person died.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

I've not logged in for awhile and as I was about to deed a group to land, when I found that all members were now made Owners. I am the founder of the group. I did not authorize this change and I have just changed my password before making this post. What do I do to get these people removed from Owner status without making a new group???

There is the tiniest chance, and it is incredibly tiny, that you can reclaim the group with a support ticket.

This was done quite recently with the OpenCollar group, which is a huge group of many thousands of people. I say the chances are slim as the community was split by the Lab doing this, with a lot of drama created as a result. There was a lot of angst. The Lab might not wish to repeat this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

Giving these others a chance to do the right thing first before I invoke the Ticket process...

as original owner and founder YOU must have given at least one the powers to make others owner...

a bit strange to see it as the right thing, and to reclaim a group because you want it to have it back, you said yourself you been gone....

move on, let it go, create your own new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

I'm still owner of the group.  The person who added all these owners was not given permission to.

They could only add others if they were an owner too.  Therefore they had permission to do anything an owner can do  including add more owners.  

• Like 3

That's the problem, I didn't make them an owner, (hence the part of me changing my password before posting). Though that is something LL should bring back with a few changes, Previously an owner can remove another owner but that became the reason for that not being allowed anymore, so change that to where Only a founder is allowed to remove or add Owners, An owner won't be allowed this option anymore.

46 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

Only a founder is allowed to remove or add Owners, An owner won't be allowed this option anymore.

this is only partly true, as soon you added a second owner you'r out of control yourself, the new owner can give out any role they want.

Or perhaps more clear, as soon you add a second owner, the founder has no priveleges at all anymore.

If you take away the ability to add people to roles from your promoted owners, they won't be owners anymore but officers, i didn't have a look at it but i think it's even possible whén you take away that ability, you also loose it yourself... and would be in more trouble.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

I know, but it used to be where owners could delete owners. I'm saying LL should bring that option back except only to FOUNDERs and that you can't make anyone else a founder.

When I started SL, groups still had the polling option as well as an option to rank people...

Edited by LadyJane Bailey

2 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

I know, but it used to be where owners could delete owners. I'm saying LL should bring that option back except only to FOUNDERs and that you can't make anyone else a founder.

When I started SL, groups still had the polling option as well as an option to rank people...

What happens when someone  (the founder)  sells their business with group and a year later decides, I think I will just take that group back again?  Mayhem

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

I've not logged in for awhile

2 minutes ago, LadyJane Bailey said:

I know, but it used to be where owners could delete owners.

how long where you gone? sounds to me this was in  the real dark ages of SL over 12 yrs ago , i can't remember groups had this abilities.

I never left the group, I'm still owner. I wasn't gone but a month. ( between the time I created the group and finding out they made everyone owners )( I was on an alt during that time. ) But a founder needs to be careful about what they name their groups. I use a subscription option for businesses. So I don't use groups for stores or businesses that might get sold or given away.

Edited by LadyJane Bailey

I've been here since 2007 as well, and owners have never had the ability to remove other owners during that time.  This is precisely why LL (and savvy residents) have always cautioned against making anyone but yourself and your own alt(s) group owners.

If you are sure you never made anyone else a group owner, then you have reason to submit a support ticket.  But it's gonna be hard to sell the idea that the system "just hiccuped" and let someone else become the owner.  I wonder if LL has the ability to make someone a group owner?  If so, conceivably in your absence, LL listened to a plea from one of the other members and elevated them to owner status to allow the group to continue to function.  That one too will be hard to sell, because LL would have to admit they messed up, and that's about as likely as flying pigs.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

7 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

how long where you gone? sounds to me this was in  the real dark ages of SL over 12 yrs ago , i can't remember groups had this abilities.

In 2006/2007 maybe even into 2008 there was proposals, a group voting function. It was allowable to put ownership to the vote and the Lab would obey the group's wishes. I reclaimed 2 groups this way.

7d8394d69df178c628e14084085c9453.thumb.png.0f55f0cca747cc0cd1543caa808b60a2.png007b04c0fcb2141bbef2aa1016ccc22a.thumb.png.b0084cdd1643451bd0531aba601ba1de.png

Normally the owner had to be offline for 2 weeks (or was it 30 days... well it was a stated period) and the vote had to run for 7 days. After that time a simple majority of voters (no quorum needed) would set the direction the lab would follow.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.