setting up Space Navigator joystick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On the login page there is a preferences pulldown. Under Move&View there is a category for Other Devices. When selected, it gives an option to select Joystick Enabled - Space Navigator which I did. I set it to Space Navigator defaults. The problem is it doesn't seem to work after selecting OK then logging in. It worked up to about three weeks ago then quit. I have tested the joystick on 3DConnexions test website and it is functioning correctly. I'm on Mac OS.

SL login.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these myself.  They can be a bit flakey at times.  Here's what I generally do when mine acts up.  

-If you have one of the wireless ones unplug the USB dongle and plug it back in.

-If it's a wireless model you can't have it plugged into a USB port at the same time.  

-Power cycle the controller.  

-Kill the running software and restart it.  

-Toggle it on and off in the viewer and reset it to defaults.  

In most cases this gets mine back to life.  I have had to resort to re-installing the software on very rare occasions.  Despite the flakiness this is the single most wonderful thing you can have on SL.  I use mine exclusively to control the camera.  I don't find the avatar moving or building options useful.  

Reach out in world if you like.  I would be glad to chat with you and answer questions.  I use mine on my PC but I'm also a Mac user.  

• 10 months later...

Gracie,

I would go with the latest drivers for the OS that you are using.  From there all you should have to do is use the space navigator defaults in the viewer and it should work.  

I have had problems in the past with the drivers requiring me to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.  I would not recommend using the older drivers.  Just get the new ones from the site and see if that works for you.  Sometimes it takes a little tinkering but it will eventually work for you.  

One other thing.  If you have one of the wireless ones.  Don't try to charge it and use the wireless receiver at the same time.  It tends to bork the driver.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.