Take your shovel and feel it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 7:06 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Things like this happen to me all the time. My brain constantly misreads/mishears/misinterprets things. I suspect this happens to most people, but they quickly dismiss the error, or it barely rises to consciousness. I jump on these errors because I find them amusing. A "sense of humor" may be exactly that, a conscious detection of juxtapositions that arise from errors in cognition at a subconscious level.

I also have "crazy" thoughts all the time. Throughout my life, when standing at the edge of something tall (cliff, building roof, etc) a little voice in my head says "jump!" When I approach a bridge, that voice might say "drive into the pillar". When using the table saw, it might say "plunge your head into the blade". Back when I painted my nails, and fairly enjoyed the aroma of acetone (the solvent in most polishes), that voice would say "drink the bottle". I find these absurd ideas amusing, as I'm easily able to resist acting on them. While other people wander YouTube in search people doing stupid, dangerous things, my subconscious simply won't wait.

An old friend once opined that these thoughts were the mark of a creative mind. I have discussed this with other friends over the years and, though I may be suffering from confirmation bias, it does seem that my most creative (weirdest?) friends share (and enjoy) the affliction. Those friends who look at me funny when I describe my thoughts are generally not terribly curious. Though my absurd thoughts cause me no distress, I do wonder if there are people who have them, are unable to suppress them, and eventually act on them.

/me moves Maddy's brain onto my lap, strokes it till it purrs, and gives it a biscuit. Good girl ...

• 2 months later...