Im thinking about starting a 1950's RP. It is about time that we give new life once again to this glamorous decade in Second Life, one that will last…

For those interested in joining me through this 'crazy adventure', send me an IM ((my SL account is: 'Laura Smith (sophiepotter94)' )), im opened to all sorts of ideas at the moment ?

I love the 1950's so...Yeah!   I was sort of thinking about creating a 1950's inspired advertising company, guess where I got the idea from……...'Mad Men'. Great show by the way, you guys should see it. It's on Netflix at the moment.                  Still, I haven't completely made up my mind so, surprise me with new ideas! ?

115097838-612x612.jpg

R-1053705-1188413202.jpeg.jpg

imagesIKXV2XTP.jpg

• Like 1

Obviously the American view of the 50s.  We in Britain were too busy trying to keep warm, never mind being glamorous.  Mad Men was set in the 60s but I'm sure you knew that :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is a good idea. Though Mad Men (and the referenced pictures) are all based in the '60's Just saying that if there will be a themed location involved, etc. then some research would be in order (for instance, as I understand it, most women didn't smoke cigarettes in public. *As I understand it* LOL) :)

I'd love to give some role-play on that genre a go! 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

...The pictures are from the 1950's, and about Mad Men...I know it is based on  the 60's, but It's first season takes place in the year of 1960 so, we see a lot of what the 1950's society looked like since it didn't changed much in just a year (sorry if I wasn't very clear). Also, cigarettes could be smoked everywhere by both sexualitys, a lot of women did smoke in public...

But anyway, thanks for your interest :))))))))

Women and Cigarettes, ca. 1950s (15).jpg

c97c06558698b8070e8bcfebda24f9dc.jpg

4c9b227082be33e0c19fa71c0d1bd11d.jpg

5d5a874f5582a9bce18a491ae34e443e.jpg

I'm not so sure how I'd look with a cigarillo in my hand while in a pink Poodle Skirt and Bobby-socks but I tend to be eclectic, and it IS SL. Muahahaha

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The “Paradise Blanket” scene rezzer comes with a few 50’s-style scenes: diner, roller rink, etc.

I still have mine from 2006 - I should rez it and have another look-see. LOL

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I still have mine from 2006 - I should rez it and have another look-see. LOL

Mine is rezzed now, I think my region is Duval.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:41 AM, SophiePotter94 said:

I love the 1950's so...Yeah!

How much do you love history? If so, list every time period that you love and tell me why.

I think the 1950's had nice Christmas songs. Since Christmas is coming, we'll hear a lot of them next month!

• Like 2

Are you looking to start a roleplay sim, or just a storyline similar to that show? If you're thinking of a sim, would there be any place for child avatars? I help with a scouts roleplay troop, so I could maybe help with something like that.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:06 AM, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

How much do you love history? If so, list every time period that you love and tell me why.

I think the 1950's had nice Christmas songs. Since Christmas is coming, we'll hear a lot of them next month!

1950's, great music, great clothes, an age of modern innocence too I think.

Victorian era and it's fantasized offshot Steampunk.  Wonderful authors, wonderful clothes, marvelous new inventions, and a sense of manners towards others we seem to forget in today's world.  But there was also so much despair for those who did not live a life of privilege.  The dichotomy  makes the era fascinating.  We were in an expanding world, seeing new places and new people, the Americas were coming into their own, and yet for so many, the world around them seemed to get smaller and smaller.

Regency/Georgian eras...Jane Austen, need I say more?  Well yes, and Napoleon.  I once had the opportunity to visit your country.  I must say the plans for your tomb are quite impressive.  (I.E.  I could live in that thing).

Edwardian era.  The time just before so many modern changes.  Shortly horse drawn carriages would give way to cars, women's skirts would *gasp* be above the ankle.  Not many years after the passing of King Edward, the world would see it's First World War.

So many others I could list, but the thread is about 1950's rp, so I kept my list to around 200 years.   A friend I once had in SL made 3 1950's sims, but he took ill and left.  Nothing I've found since has come close.  There are places with small 50's era areas but nothing on a larger scale, except maybe a haunted town from time to time.

3 hours ago, Sandy Schnook said:

1950's, great music, great clothes, an age of modern innocence too I think.

Victorian era and it's fantasized offshot Steampunk.  Wonderful authors, wonderful clothes, marvelous new inventions, and a sense of manners towards others we seem to forget in today's world.  But there was also so much despair for those who did not live a life of privilege.  The dichotomy  makes the era fascinating.  We were in an expanding world, seeing new places and new people, the Americas were coming into their own, and yet for so many, the world around them seemed to get smaller and smaller.

Regency/Georgian eras...Jane Austen, need I say more?  Well yes, and Napoleon.  I once had the opportunity to visit your country.  I must say the plans for your tomb are quite impressive.  (I.E.  I could live in that thing).

Edwardian era.  The time just before so many modern changes.  Shortly horse drawn carriages would give way to cars, women's skirts would *gasp* be above the ankle.  Not many years after the passing of King Edward, the world would see it's First World War.

So many others I could list, but the thread is about 1950's rp, so I kept my list to around 200 years.   A friend I once had in SL made 3 1950's sims, but he took ill and left.  Nothing I've found since has come close.  There are places with small 50's era areas but nothing on a larger scale, except maybe a haunted town from time to time.

I really like the Ancient Roman times, Ancient Greek times, 18th century, and somewhat other time periods.

I think the 1950's are nice in a modern way because people wore t-shirts, dress suits, dresses, and business suits more often than we do today.

The Victorian era is nice, too.

I like the Regency/Geogrian eras, too. They had nice tastes, but reading about their wars and politics are interesting. So you visited Corsica and France? In real life, I never get to visit Europe. My parents say that we don't have money for the airplane tickets, food, and hotels. From what I've read about savings and money in Europe, some people claim that you can actually save more money when you're living in Europe than in the United States. I'm stuck in the United States and have many relatives there, but I do have some that live in Italy, Norway, and England.

It was sad that Edwardian died. I've read that a monarch was assassinated, but it was Edward. During his coronation, he gave out little tin boxes of chocolates to children who attended his coronation.

That's ok. I would like to learn about the other time periods you like besides the past 200 years.

Oh sorry I have never been to Corsica, only France and I spent most of my 3 weeks in and around Paris.  I was 15 at the time and my father had been stationed in Germany.  Before he met my mother though, he had been stationed in France and had many fond memories.  He also spoke french fluently from a child, and having been stationed in Paris, had more of the Parisianne patois then his brothers and sisters.  He met me in Paris while stationed overseas, as a reward for good grades.   From what I remember of Napoleon's tomb (we went on a night there was a concert also, so we sat above it and could not get to ground level), it was massive and seemed to be the size of a mobile home.

As for other time periods, I find many eras fascinating, some more then most, and usually eras dealing more with the United States or Europe.