redlunna

new player

Question

hi there,i m really new in  SL and completely lost!

I log in and have no idea what to do!

have no SLmoney at all!

try to find a job but i can't

please give me some advice,what to do,where to start from

Guess it s a nice game,i really want to try it but don t know how.

appreciate any help.thanks

3 answers to this question

Hi, Red!

Welcome to SL.  The very first thing to do is to learn where the Knowledge Base is  (up there ^^  -- tab at the top of this page).  Many of the questions you are likely to ask have whole articles devoted to them, including this one >>>

Now.... for your specific questions:

You don't need money (L$) at all, although it's certainly nice to have some in your account.  There is a load of free stuff in world and in the Marketplace.  You just have to start looking for it.  Yes, there's some junk and a lot of old-style stuff that's free because nobody will buy it any more, but there's also a lot that's high quality and worth having.  Try looking for the Free Dove shop as a place for newbies to begin. 

So... yes, it is nice to have L$ in your pocket, even so.  The best, fastest way to get it is to buy it on the LindeX.  Read Knowledge Base articles about how to register a payment method (credit card or PayPal account).  I advise you to buy only in amounts of a few thousand L$, in order to keep the fees low.  At roughly L$250 == $1.00 US, I would recommend buying no less than L$5000 at a time.  That's $20 US. 

Why buy?  Because there's almost no way to earn money except as trivial pocket change in SL unless you have a marketable skill as a creator (scripter, 3D modeller, texturer, animator...) or as a performer (musician, DJ, ...).  Even if you do have one of those skills, it will take you a while to learn the way things work in SL and establish a reputation and a clientele.  You can find a few low-level "jobs" in SL, but they are also low-paying.  They also eat up your time in world, when you should be able to get out and explore and make friends.  To take a look at the sorts of "jobs" that are available, look in the InWorld Employment forum.  All in all, your best bet is to save your lunch money once or twice a week and bring it in world.  For the price of a Big Mac and fries, you can live like a queen.

I truly hope you enjoy SL.  It's definitely not a "game," although you will find plenty of people who will argue with you about that.  If you like games, though, there are many of them in SL.  Check out the Portal Park.  It's the entry point to all of the games that Linden Lab has created -- Linden Realms, PaleoQuest, Cornfield, Horizons, Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches ... -- and they are all free to play.  (Some of them also offer prizes in L$, so you can earn some L$ for playing).

As you have other questions, please feel free to come here and ask.  Also, visit Caledon Oxbridge University or NCI in world for some excellent self-paced tutorials.  And don't forget the Knowledge Base.  ;)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, redlunna said:

i there,i m really new in  SL and completely lost!

I log in and have no idea what to do!

have no SLmoney at all!

You don't need Linden dollars to get started in SL!

Start off by going to the four best freebie stores in SL: https://ryanschultz.com/2018/05/15/second-life-steals-and-deals-the-four-best-freebie-stores-in-sl/

Edited by Vanity Fair