Help Needed with Converting Mesh References!

Morguemeat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm asking for help on behalf of a very lovely friend of mine by the name of Dein Newt. He creates BDSM gear for furry avatars. I honestly don't know the first thing about meshes, rigging, or even 3D modeling whatsoever, so I'm probably using all manner of incorrect terms and just generally sounding like an idiot. For that, I apologize.

Dein received a formal education using 3DsMax, but as it happens, very few can afford commercial software, and instead use Blender, thus meaning Mesh References, the dummies used to rig for specific things are made using Blender. Blender is apparently different enough that he simply can't just switch to that and has already tried and failed to do so. He also simply can't just load up a Blender file in 3DsMax and make that work, as it apparently just comes out as nonsense when he brings it into SL itself. This is very unfortunate as it means Dein cannot make rigged mesh items for anything that doesn't have a reference specifically meant for 3DsMax. There is apparently a way to convert a Blender file to work properly as he had someone that was able to do it for him once upon a time, but they are simply far too busy to help him now.

I am simply asking for whatever help that can be possibly offered. What would be most helpful is a tutorial so that he can learn to do the file conversion himself, or simply an offer from someone to convert the files for him.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I really do appreciate it! ❤️

As a Blender native, I can see it from the other side having tried and failed to use other tools. We all become set in our ways and to be frank, time invested in learning blender would be paid back in productivity. To this end I would suggest at least taking half an hour or so to watch this video from Cédric Lepiller, who is a French independent 3d artist who works in 3DS, Maya, ZBrush and Blender and made the transition to blender easier for himself by creating some useful plugins, and making a few simple changes to the UI.

Many people moan about the Blender UI. I like it a lot, however, there is one aspect which is perverse and that is the right-click select (you do get used to it, but it is perverse no matter how you look at it), but despite all the moaning, few people bother to look at the fact that for most of the control functions that can be easily switched to the 3ds/Maya control model.

Anyhow, Cédric covers this as one of his basic first steps for anyone looking to migrate or having to work in both, so here is the video (It states quite clearly, This is not for beginners, the video is targetted at professionals who need/want to be able to use Blender. Some people have an issue with Cédric's accent, personally, I adore it, but I am a sucker for a French accent. If it is hard to follow though, take your time and think a little french, he loves to mix in French-isms "3D view" is frequently "trois-dee view". Enjoy. It's a long video, but just watching the first 30 minutes will hopefully help a lot. He can then watch the rest in due course. If by some chance Dein is a native French speaker then there is a French version.

The original question was specific to converting between the two, in all honesty, while it can be done it is a pain, I frequently share work with my girlfriend Liz (@polysail) we can successfully pass a blend file back and forth but there are a number of limitations in 3DS that cause issues and a number of idiosyncracies in Blender that likewise cause issues. I can try to suggest a conversion workflow but depending on how much time is spent with templates versus custom mesh additions, I would still recommend becoming familiar with Blender.

Edited by Beq Janus
uhm Cédric is French not Fresh - silly brain
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The right click / left click (so left is the normal select click) is the very first thing I changed in the settings in Blender...

While it is a lot of work to learn a new piece of software, there's a lot of advantages to being able to use more than one tool. There will always be advantages Blender has over 3DsMax and vice versa. That said, it takes time... It takes time to getto know your way around software and it takes time to get good at it. I'm working with Blender for a year now and I have still trouble getting some specific things done. Then suddenly Maya looks very appealing ;)

Back to topic: if he wants to make stuff for SL on a regular basis, I think it'll be worth it for him to get to know Blender...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.