AidenDojima

New to roleplay, how do I begin?

Hi Guys

I haven't been on second life in awhile but am looking to get back into it. From what some friends have said, role playing is a good place to start to look for new friends and things to do. I'm completely interested but am also completely new. Are there are places that can help a newcomer? I've been to a couple of places that just gives you rules but I don't know if I could just jump right in without help. Can anybody give me any suggestions on places that can help me?

Thanks in advance

Edited by AidenDojima

There are several places that offer role play classes (including some role play areas and I think some schools) so finding one of those may be of help.  Not my thing so unfortunately I can't give you better help.  

That being said, most RP area seem to work in "para" mode with long times between paragraphs, turns and such.  Also be sure and learn about the DON'Ts.  You can also go to many RP areas with a Out of Character tag and just watch and listen for awhile. That is usually obvious at the entry point.  

Good luck. 

I know there are some communities that probably offer a service like that. I currently live in Strattford County and they have a roleplay office where you can find a job, take beginner roleplay classes, and I think they have a thing for joining storylines. It's adult rated, so no kids allowed, but might help. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Moon/211/160/28

It depends on the kind of roleplay that you wan to do and the sim.

If it's simple and you're looking to play a relatively normal human being, you may just be able to dive in. Ask the sim owner or mods for advice. For example, it's okay to rock up to the 1920s Berlin Project (with an appropriate outfit) and your own back story. Read the instructions, observe for a little while, then go to the bar, introduce yourself to the bartender, and have a good time.

For RP with more complicated lore or themes, I suggest looking for a roleplay area that has developed resources beyond notecard instructions -- a website, forum, Discord, Flickr group. You're more likely to find a sense of community and people that will help and mentor you. 

In any case, before joining an RP, I suggest spending time there out-of-character, observing, and talking to the RPers to get a feel for it.

I think 'para-RP' is just pretentious. Quality over quantity - as long as you get your message across and move the plot forwards, the degree of your participation is up to you. Waiting for someone who has absolutely no inspiration or clue force out a small text wall, that takes them a quarter of an hour to write, where the synopsis of the content is 'appears unsure of how to react to the current situation and wishes to remain passive and says nothing', is just bad for immersion. Besides, the length of a text does by no means relate to how interesting or intriguing a plot arc is.

For the sake of immersion, the only remark I have is that you should chose a perspective of narration and stick to it. Mixing one's grammatical tense between present and preterit, 'I' and 'He/she' to refer one's own character, and so forth, just makes for a tangled mess of text to navigate. Ideally everyone in a scene should stick to the same, but eh.. Hrm. Also, never 'would' anything. 'I would put his hand on your cheek and stroke my thumb over her skin softly'. No, thank you.

Other than that, sticking to the post order is considered polite - and in some occasions even regarded as a rule. And if you go to a dedicated RP sim, don't be surprised if they expect you to have read a bunch of obscure publications that the RP is 'loosely based on' and the sim owners' multi-page addendums to know up from down, as well as sign up through a third party (usually a forum or web form) before you're allowed anywhere near the RP areas, only to be gang-banged by someone who has godlike combat skills because they've AFK'd on the sim the past six months only to grief new players to steal the starting cash. Chose venue carefully. 

• Like 6

Well, the rp project I'm in is light-hearted, and though we throw ourselves into it the only thing we're generally careful of is not mixing rp chat with OOC chat (out of character).  Except when we do. :D  Mostly we want to have fun, and enthusiasm carries us along nicely.  Oh, and we don't have sex either.  Any rp project that makes you uncomfortable isn't worth joining, so have a chat to people OOC, find out what's expected, and see how you get on.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

I think 'para-RP' is just pretentious. Quality over quantity - as long as you get your message across and move the plot forwards, the degree of your participation is up to you. Waiting for someone who has absolutely no inspiration or clue force out a small text wall, that takes them a quarter of an hour to write, where the synopsis of the content is 'appears unsure of how to react to the current situation and wishes to remain passive and says nothing', is just bad for immersion. Besides, the length of a text does by no means relate to how interesting or intriguing a plot arc is.

For the sake of immersion, the only remark I have is that you should chose a perspective of narration and stick to it. Mixing one's grammatical tense between present and preterit, 'I' and 'He/she' to refer one's own character, and so forth, just makes for a tangled mess of text to navigate. Ideally everyone in a scene should stick to the same, but eh.. Hrm. Also, never 'would' anything. 'I would put his hand on your cheek and stroke my thumb over her skin softly'. No, thank you.

Other than that, sticking to the post order is considered polite - and in some occasions even regarded as a rule. And if you go to a dedicated RP sim, don't be surprised if they expect you to have read a bunch of obscure publications that the RP is 'loosely based on' and the sim owners' multi-page addendums to know up from down, as well as sign up through a third party (usually a forum or web form) before you're allowed anywhere near the RP areas, only to be gang-banged by someone who has godlike combat skills because they've AFK'd on the sim the past six months only to grief new players to steal the starting cash. Chose venue carefully. 

Seems to me you'd rp the same way you act "normally". Talk and interact but in theme with the rp setting. A friend took me to a rp sim once and when some guy walked in I said hello so and so. He replied I don't know how you could possibly know my name, we have never met before.

Of course I apologized, but I could just as easily made up story to explain how I knew his name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't usually promote my blog here (outside of my signature) but five years ago I wrote a couple of posts in a Roleplay 101 series that might  be useful to you, @AidenDojima. These were written from the point of view of a veteran roleplayer. I started out in text-only MUSH/MUDs many years ago, and when I moved to SL 11 years back I noticed a lot of things that were very specific to the SL RP scene, which led to those two (hopefully humorous and only slightly tongue-in-cheek) posts:

Roleplay 101: What NOT to do - covers the following topics:

- God-Moding: "ARGH! Just don't do it!"
- Meta-Gaming: "There are no meters IRL"
- Deus ex Machina: "I know you stripped and bound me, but I had a hidden blade up my butt"
- There are no winners: "Learn when to STOP"
- It's not a meat market:" That player you've got your eye on? They probably have a partner"
- RP is a team game: "There are other players here. It's not all about YOU"
- Playing the victim: "Wah! Everyone's a meanie!"

Roleplay 101: What TO do - covers the following topics:

- Creating backstory: "Just where ARE you from?"
- Taking turns: "Me first!" "No, me!"
- Mary Sue & Marty Stu: "There's no need to be perfect. Flaws are INTERESTING"
- Give them something to react to!: "Stop THINKING so much"
- Do your research: "WTF is a HomeStone?"
- Make an effort: "A: *beautifully-detailed RP pose*" "B: OK"
- Avoiding anachronisms: "Greetings, good sir." "Wotcher, mate."
- Give and take: "You're not the only one in this RP"
- It's down to YOU: "They'll only carry your RP virgin ass for so long, bub"

I will say that roleplay in SL isn't what it used to be. RP regions come and go, and often turn much of their land over to rentals in order to recoup their costs (which, in turn, can lead to people staying in those rentals all the time and not coming out into the public areas to actually, y'know, roleplay. I used to see the same group of people (all of them bloody good roleplayers, some of the best I'd encountered) turn up at new roleplay locations that I'd also discovered: each of us searching for somewhere we felt we could call home. In the end I just gave up on RP in Second Life, because the places me and my partner loved to RP in all vanished (or were ruined by power-hungry GMs/sim admin and/or certain RP clicques). I still miss it like hell.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Seems to me you'd rp the same way you act "normally". Talk and interact but in theme with the rp setting. A friend took me to a rp sim once and when some guy walked in I said hello so and so. He replied I don't know how you could possibly know my name, we have never met before.

Of course I apologized, but I could just as easily made up story to explain how I knew his name.

"Well, the name tag stuck on your breast pocket that says "Hi, My Name Is 'Numbnuts' was my first clue."

It's people and situations like this that keep me away from formal RP.  I much prefer the spontaneous sort, where you put on a character and simply go through SL more or less in character.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

Seems to me you'd rp the same way you act "normally". Talk and interact but in theme with the rp setting.

Nah. Just like Skell said, there are a few 'do's' you'll need to get down before you have at it. Having at least an idea of your character's backstory and personality before you throw yourself into the thick of it makes it both easier and more fun to have fluent, in-character conversation. But really, it's an issue of not just setting, but platform. If you're roleplaying in a game, whether it's pen and paper or a video game, that focuses on combat systems, yeah I'll do combat - if it's roleplay in SL or a forum board, where combat is more of an inconvenience than anything else, I prefer other ways of moving the plot forwards. Obviously, it's easier to create a character that isn't too different from yourself, if you only want to chat semi-freely. The more differences between your character and yourself, the more acting you'll have to do. I enjoy both. 

In terms of basic intro/overview RP classes, both NCI (New Citizens Inc) and Caledon Oxbridge offer classes.  NCI's class is on Sundays from 12 pm - 1 pm SLT at their Beach - Island Classroom.  Caledon Oxbridge's class is on Fridays from 7 pm - 8 pm SLT in their Main Lecture Hall.

Edited by moirakathleen
  • Like 1