Need help with this tech problem

Marian36

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone i really need help with this cause i cant figure it out alone.

Here is my issue.  Last friday my internet company changed my modem cause the internet connection was slow and the modem was old.

I got a new modem now internet fly but i cant log in to sl again! When i try appears a sign that says there is a connection problem. Of course i re started de modem but i still cant log in. Im connected with pc at cable. I tryed notebook on wifi and got same problem.

Called internet company, service people came and didnt found any problem on connection. They say is sl problem.

i can connect to any website, and pc works well. I could log in 3 times for few moments today (wich is the stranger thing) when i was testing connection,  but when i log off and try again i cant pass the "connecting to region" phase on Firestorm. I try sl viewer and same thing.

I even try to log in in other virtuals worlds, like Metropolis metaversum, and everything works perfect. The only site i cant connect is sl. I made such a good friends around the world here whom i connect weekly and i really dont want to leave sl, but i cant figure this out and is very frustrating. Plus im not a computer expert so everything is more complicated.

If you have any idea how could i solve this problem i would be very grateful. Ty for reading.

Marian.

3 answers to this question

Try a few things to eliminate possibilities:

1. Log in to a different region, like Smith, which is a nice quiet place. If that works, the problem was the old region's servers.

2. Try using a different viewer (Firestorm instead of the standard SL viewer, or vice versa).

3. Try using a different account ( an alt ).

4. Try logging in from a different location.  You'll have to take the laptop to a friend's home or a coffee shop.

If you can isolate the possible problem, it will be easier to find a solution.

EDIT:  Oh, #5.  Check all of your cable connections to be sure that they are firm.  I had a connection problem a month ago that started from tripping over the connection to my router. (A little embarrassing. ?‍♂️)

All of Rolig's suggestions should be tried.  Doing so will help you determine if the problem is something to do with your avatar, your account, your viewer, or your home network. 

If only #4 (logging in from a different location) lets you log in, then the problem is either a setting in your router/modem, or something in your ISP's system.

One thing you can check with your router/modem (possibly with some help from your ISP's tech support) is its firewall settings.  Here is an article on the ports that need to be open for SL.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/using-second-life-with-a-firewall-r599/

There is nothing generic about Second Life's system or servers that is causing this problem, or thousands of other people would be having the same issue, so once you have eliminated everything else, don't let your ISP play that blame game.

• Like 1

I want to build on Lindal's blame game.

When your laptop works at another location on another network, make that point very strongly. Once you ave narrowed it down to them, tell them you have narrowed it down to them.

Explain to the them the steps and results of each step. If the laptop and account work using another network, pretty much will tell the whole story.

My guess is they have the security too tight on the new gateway. So, a firewall setting in the gateway is likely too restrictive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.