Does anyone rp as people in their 50's or 60's on second life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be thankful he's no longer in his teens, when he owned you.  My RL daughter turned the magical 40 last spring.  Now she's the one dealing with teenagers.  One of the blessings of finally getting into

Erm ...  

I can come down to that age if it helps.

Posted Images

I'm 52. I make no attempt to seem younger and I'd probably attempt to add a little age to my avatar if it were a bit easier than what I've experienced. I've never really thought about trying an RP where I'm an age other than my own and I don't know if I'd be good at it or even comfortable doing it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

'How-old' reference made me look.

My RL picture looks 31. I'm 27, so not that far off. My SL picture looks 37. I suppose 'mid-thirties' is what I aimed for, so, all good. As for roleplaying an age... Meh? Age is just a number, really. Age says nothing about wisdom, intelligence or maturity - I've often been told that I act like an old person; I take noon naps, occasionally smoke a pipe, write a cursive that takes a graphologist to decipher and use words that are generally considered outdated. But naps are awesome, tobacco is just something to begild my subsistence and writing type is for degenerates. I refuse ballpoint pens in favor of fountain pens, I will bark at anyone who brings up a mobile phone whilst eating in my presence, and 98/100 times my idea of a 'snack' is a cup of tea and a hobnob or two. If I require a calculator and don't sit by my computer, my default option is a 1916 model mechanical pinwheel calculator, a pen and a piece of paper. Is it because I love the sound of the cogs and tumblers rumbling around in there? Partially - but it's as much to do with that asking for the exact, correct answer from a machine simply doesn't work with my philosophy. If you've got a brain, you should use it.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

These days, only GenX and older seem to. The young'uns seem to enjoy instagram more.

I have to disagree with this. My son is Gen Z (20) and has FB, as do all of his high school friends, and newer friends from college and work. He is on FB all the time, much more than I am lol. Same goes for my RL friends kids, I have them added to my FB.  Also I have a FB for SL and see a lot of young people  on there. I think it's just a matter of preference. 

2 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

'How-old' reference made me look.

Me too.  Apparently I missed by quite a bit.  Darn this new mesh head.

42c50378fe30de0b235e2e57ad94eeae.png

I'm 72, feeling like late 50s on most days, and I thought I have been 38 in SL.  I am a terrible judge of age, but I thought I knew my own.  In any case. I agree with Orwar.  The age that counts -- unless I want the senior discount at the theatre -- is the age I feel inside.  That's impossible to tie to my lifestyle preferences, my use (or non-use) of social media, or who I choose to be friends with. 

• Like 2

I hadn't given my avi a specific age, though I do think of her being past college age, as having worked someplace at a really good job so that she was able to retire very early and move to the countryside.  Not having family, she lives a life of leisure and doesn't bother to think about age.  If she was to have family, she would be the independent aunt living out in the country.  (Having just recently acquired some Jian kittens, she could even be the crazy aunt with all the cats).  

I would consider this to be on the younger end, but not bad:

1625813587_howoldscreencapture.PNG.c2f2ff76ccc02e8eb729b956b774e456.PNG

I don't think about age a lot in RL.  Generally I have to figure out my exact age.  I used to be better at always remembering my husband's age, and then subtracting 2 for my age.  This year is different, because of one of those interesting number things - my age and the last two digits of the year I was born are the same - 59.

• Like 1

My avatar is modelled on a particular Noldor elf from the Silmarillion. So technically I'm roleplaying him at about 4,000 years old (or would be, if he hadn't fallen into a volcano at the tender age of about 1,500).

howold.png.1633ff8688417baf756ec8a1b0e7de59.png

I'm actually surprised it doesn't think I'm a girl.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know what factors the algorithm uses.  I suspect that something like "skin tone" is given a hefty weight, on the theory that younger skin is less likely to have the wrinkles, bumps, and discolorations that accumulate with age.  Our SL skins don't have those unless they are deliberately drawn in, and our images are more gently contoured and cartoony than photos of our RL faces appear.  We breaking the rules by applying a RL algorithm to a virtual image, so it's no wonder that it gets our ages wrong.   What surprises me is that I get the ages wrong too.  I think my brain uses a RL algorithm too.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It would be interesting to know what factors the algorithm uses.  I suspect that something like "skin tone" is given a hefty weight, on the theory that younger skin is less likely to have the wrinkles, bumps, and discolorations that accumulate with age.  Our SL skins don't have those unless they are deliberately drawn in, and our images are more gently contoured and cartoony than photos of our RL faces appear.  We breaking the rules by applying a RL algorithm to a virtual image, so it's no wonder that it gets our ages wrong.   What surprises me is that I get the ages wrong too.  I think my brain uses a RL algorithm too.

I tested this with a couple of RL pics. One was from 2015, it said I looked 70. And the other was from 2017, it said I look 27. (I am 48)  So I don't know. *shrugs* Could be something to do with the lighting too.

While I've always said that Lil is forever 30, I wouldn't really say that I role play that age or any other.  I picked 30 because that was truly the best year of my life. 

Given SL fashion, I would not be able to shop near as much as I do if I was RPing someone in the 50s or 60s, since I just can't wrap my head around someone of that age wearing such skimpy outfits.  And yes, there are non-skimpy outfits in SL, but there are much, much less of them than the stuff that nobody over 35 should be caught in.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I once joked about the need for a roleplay nursing home or Florida-like retirement community so that I could have grandparents.

It seems like the vast majority if people just want to be young and hot. I once had a foster family in SL with a 30-something grandmother, and it was super weird. Playing someone pushing retirement would be hilarious, but I just don't think a lot of people would be into it.

9 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I once joked about the need for a roleplay nursing home or Florida-like retirement community so that I could have grandparents.

It seems like the vast majority if people just want to be young and hot. I once had a foster family in SL with a 30-something grandmother, and it was super weird. Playing someone pushing retirement would be hilarious, but I just don't think a lot of people would be into it.

Ouch   ?

If I remember right, you are around 5th grade age, so roughly 10 years old.  In a fairly common RL family, that would make your parents in their early-mid 30s and thus your grandparents in their early-mid 50s, which is still a decade or two from retirement.  ?

Please don't bury us too early.  :D

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
14 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Anybody can "play" a young person.  We've all been there, so we can just play an early version of ourselves as a default. (Playing "hot" is a different matter.  Few of us meet that standard.)  It's harder to "play" someone pushing or past retirement unless you've been there yourself, which I suspect is one of the reasons why fewer people try it.  BTW, those of us who are already there are probably less inclined to think it's "hilarious" than you are, although I'll admit that this is the best age I've had so far.  ?

On 9/4/2018 at 4:31 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Way back in my grad school days, we subjected face images to FFT analysis. The spectral density of edge information moves higher in frequency (smaller in dimension) with age, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. A perfect face has only the expected features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc). As we age, defects appear. Barring major injury, those are generally smallish things, like wrinkles and moles. If I recall correctly, hair styles also become more edge rich as we age (at least in our sample image population), so we got better than random results even if we didn't crop out hair.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.