Take your fee and shove it

LordHappycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't know when this happened, but honestly Linden Labs, the way you've got the method of buying lindens right now is just straight up greedy.

Never would I thought that when I want to just pay $4 so I can have $987L, would turn into $5.49. Is the workload to transact virtual currency such a hassle to warrant the servicing fee?

Honestly, this move really speaks a lot of volumes. Is SL dying now? What is it? This is the worst decision I've seen when it comes to buying more lindens. Greeeeeeed!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, LordHappycat said:

I didn't know when this happened, but honestly Linden Labs, the way you've got the method of buying lindens right now is just straight up greedy.

Never would I thought that when I want to just pay $4 so I can have $987L, would turn into $5.49. Is the workload to transact virtual currency such a hassle to warrant the servicing fee?

Honestly, this move really speaks a lot of volumes. Is SL dying now? What is it? This is the worst decision I've seen when it comes to buying more lindens. Greeeeeeed!

Happened a couple of months ago and was advertised

• Like 5

LL has to make money somehow, and they are trying to attract people buy giving more tier-free land and lower tier for the ones that want more.  The exchange fee was a .50 raise.  The way around it is not to nickle and dime the Lindens you buy.  Buy more of them but less often.  If you need 5k for the month, buy it once, pay the 1.49 fee once.  Not buy 500 ten times and paying the 1.49 also 10 times.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

LL has to make money somehow, and they are trying to attract people buy giving more tier-free land and lower tier for the ones that want more.  The exchange fee was a .50 raise.  The way around it is not to nickle and dime the Lindens you buy.  Buy more of them but less often.  If you need 5k for the month, buy it once, pay the 1.49 fee once.  Not buy 500 ten times and paying the 1.49 also 10 times.

This is not a good way to make money though. This is a good way to make people think twice before buying more lindens. Linden Labs is not thinking very smart and this is a prime example. So, since you're going to drag the whole "uh they have to make money somehow..." point, what is this going to achieve in the long run? Not a whole lot. You don't even seem to save that much from the link I've read on this thread. So, really, they're just finding an excuse to inflate the prices of buying linden, which is an essential part of SL as it is, if nothing else if someone wants to do anything. And don't act like people pay for lindens that way, because not all of them do. They treat buying lindens like as if it's extracting money from ATMs and that's pretty frequent.

I've sank probably $150 ~ $200 at Linden Labs where I was happily giving $5 here and there from different periods of time when I wanted to do something like mod and shop. There were no stupid fees preventing me from this. Now they're going to give people second thoughts. Good on ya, LL...

Edited by LordHappycat
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, LordHappycat said:

This is not a good way to make money though. This is a good way to make people think twice before buying more lindens. Linden Labs is not thinking very smart and this is a prime example. So, since you're going to drag the whole "uh they have to make money somehow..." point, what is this going to achieve in the long run? Not a whole lot. You don't even seem to save that much from the link I've read on this thread. So, really, they're just finding an excuse to inflate the prices of buying linden, which is an essential part of SL as it is, if nothing else if someone wants to do anything. And don't act like people pay for lindens that way, because not all of them do. They treat buying lindens like as if it's extracting money from ATMs and that's pretty frequent.

I've sank probably $150 ~ $200 at Linden Labs where I was happily giving $5 here and there from different periods of time when I wanted to do something like mod and shop. There were no stupid fees preventing me from this. Now they're going to give people second thoughts. Good on ya, LL...

*Linden Lab

And clearly, if you're ready to pay the fee repeatedly, for smaller purchases, rather than once for a larger purchase(thereby paying way less in fees to begin with), I'm not so sure you're the best at giving fiscal advice, lol. 

Though I do actually agree that this particular fee is larger than it needs to, or should, be. I don't think most people thought the increase was necessary the first time, much less the second. We also don't buy into the "they have to make money somewhere", mostly because...duh, we know that, lol. Yet...we still pay the fee, so clearly we're not nearly as bothered as we pretend to be sometimes ;) 

Also, there have always been fees, so drop the "back in MY day we bought our lindens without fees" line ;) 

*ok I fixed lager to larger, but maybe we should be spending that money on lager instead....

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2

People complained quite a bit about the last fee increase, yet here we are and most (if not all) of those people are still around.  Even with the forecast of doom and gloom about that last fee increase, LL has obviously not had any problems with people still buying L$.  I expect this time is not really any different.

The merchants had a MUCH LARGER increase in fees awhile back -- with more to come. They weren't all that happy but most are still here. Land is not only "free tier" in larger clumps now but land in general is getting cheaper. So for a lot of people it evens out. Right now, for the OP not so much but as has been said MANY MANY TIMES --- JUST BY MORE AT ONE TIME AND YOU SAVE MONEY. 

Did they somehow stop teaching math in school the last decade or so?  

GEEZ.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Did they somehow stop teaching math in school the last decade or so?  

They discovered in my country that, because they hadn't trained any math teachers and the ones they got they paid poorly, that they couldn't teach math any more, so they gave up and made the exams easier.  Who needs math anyway, we got AI and smartphones.

God help us.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

There have always been fees for buying L$. Shoulda gone to SpecSavers :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

o.O were you dropped on your head at some point?

So what do you suggest they do, send out Patch Linden with a violin into the streets of San Francisco to busk for loose change?.

Fees for buying lindens have always been a thing. The reason for the fee increase from 99 cents to $1.49 is because they reduced tier costs for land owners. Personally I welcome this, its been something that most of us have been crying out for Linden Labs to do for a very very long time. Plus with a bit of creative management you can end up actually saving yourself money. For example, buying $8 worth of lindens every two weeks instead of $4 every week means you only pay the $1.49 once which equates to 0.745 cents per week which is less than the previous 99 cents that you would have spent per week. Now stop throwing a tantrum and go back to having fun!

Edited by PhantomPixel
  • Like 3

Huh... I remember when traveling internationally and exchanging one currency for another. It *always* included an exchange surcharge fee. Every. Single. Time. This has always been the case in RL, so why is it suddenly an "epic fail" in SL? Is that not what you are actually doing when you buy L$ - exchanging one (RL) currency for another (Virtual) currency?

The solution for all of you who think this is a bad thing is DO NOT BUY or SELL L$.

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

/me breaks-out her micro violin and begins playing the ever popular "Entitlement Boo-Hoo for Snowflakes". Again.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Confused 1

I can understand it being a rude awakening if you don't pay attention to the news feed on your account page. But you know now. Really there is no reason for you to spend more money buying Lindens if you plan accordingly. Honestly, I don't blame LL for upping the fee even if the only reason was to cut down on the sheer volume of very small Linden dollar purchases. All those tiny purchases require accounting in some form or another. So do yourself and LL a favor and buy larger amounts spread over larger periods of time.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

so make four $4 purchases at one time. Each 4 dollar purchase will then cost you 37 cents and you'll be saving money on transaction fees since its been a long time since the transaction fee was that low.

Greed? If their service charge is too much for you, then stop buying Lindens

12 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

wow $150 to $200 ? I bet LL is quaking in their boots thinking about losing your income stream.

12 hours ago, LordHappycat said:

Cost to end user by buying 10000 lindens by buying approximately L$1000 at a time at market rate using the old, old fee of $0.40 that apparently you didn't even notice - your former behavior:

10 transactions @ 250/4 US$ = $40.00

10 buy fees @ $0.40 = $4.00

TOTAL: $44.00

Cost to end user by buying 10000 at the lowest typical limit rate and the current fee:

1 transaction @260/$38.46 plus 1 rapacious $1.49 fee = $39.95

Somebody wasn't thinking smart, I grant you...

1 hour ago, PhantomPixel said:

So what do you suggest they do, send out Patch Linden with a violin into the streets of San Francisco to busk for loose change?.

nahh not on the streets... my home would be better   :)
perhaps start a project... adopt a Linden?( support for clothes and a comfy room to stay) would save the Lab some money..... i'd know who i'd go for....

• Haha 6

On 9/2/2018 at 7:31 PM, LordHappycat said:

This is not a good way to make money though. This is a good way to make people think twice before buying more lindens.

Oh it might, but it's not going to stop the superconsumers of SL who swarm C88, Uber and whatnot from buying a metric bleep*ton of L$  Those that even pay attention to the change are probably just going to buy L$ in larger amounts rather than buying smaller amounts more often.

Linden Labs is not thinking very smart and this is a prime example.

LL IS thinking smart.  They've been extremely reliant on Land income, too reliant.  This is one way to spread out their income stream a tiny bit.  And as you know they've been trying to increase the number of premium accounts by increasing the Premium Tier allocation and adding more premium perks.

I've sank probably $150 ~ $200 at Linden Labs where I was happily giving $5 here and there from different periods of time when I wanted to do something like mod and shop.

Oh, My Sweet Summer Child...  I probably spent that much in my first WEEK in SL back in 2006....just thinking about the times I've hit that Cute little buy L$ button and how much L$ I've bought.  I easily spend that, a year, just on L$.  Not even counting the Premium account and the extra money to take my total tier allocation up to 2048.

There were no stupid fees preventing me from this.

There have always been fees for purchasing L$, well at least as long as I can remember.

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.