Noctis Oanomochi

is it possible to change the name you login with?

Question

I seem to have a very old account with the first and last names. Is there any way I can change my login name to a single name, because the list of last names to choose from when i first started second life was horrible and the last name is so hard to remember.

3 answers to this question

No.  Well, not right now anyway.  Your login name and your UUID are like your Social Security number in RL.  You have them for life.  However, Linden Lab has said that they will be making it possible for Premium members to change their names for a price sometime this year.  There are no details yet, and there is no scheduled date for making the option available.  As you can probably appreciate, there are many concerns about account security, spoofing, etc. that need to be resolved before the Lab is certain that making name changes possible will be safe.  Keep watching the blogs.

• Like 2

No!  Nor should you even want to.  Having one of the old style user names (first name and surname) is a badge of honor, it says to those who know that you aren't some Johnny-come-lately.  The Oanomochi surname has a long and honorable history in SL.  Wear it proudly!

While you WILL be able to change your name in the future (for a price in US dollars - and you "may" need to be premium to do so) there will still be first and last names.  You will choose from a list of last names == none of which have been used in the past. 

Last names have been in the pipeline for awhile now and there may be some more information  on the timeline at the September 13th Town Meeting. 

You CAN of course have the viewer REMEMBER your last name, then you don't have to type it in each time. This only works well if you don't share a compute with untrustworthy folks -- of course.