Mipmapping vs. alpha

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making a low-LI air kraken weathervane for the New Babbage oiling festival.

vanehirez.png.fe912a9d9f583d3c1b01daab7893a3fc.png

The vane is just two flat surfaces of two triangles each, with a Photoshop-created texture.

This needs hard edges, since it will be silhouetted against the sky. It should be clearly visible at long range, so it needs to look good at low level of detail. Looks fine in close-up.

vanelowrez.png.fdba4dcbe30dfed8065f4a3eeff91914.png

At long range, it gets fuzzy. Even thought the roof does not. This is, I suspect, mip-mapping in action. Mip-mapping applies to the alpha channel as well as the color channels, so the area covered gets blurry. The roof is blurred, too, but because it isn't using an alpha channel to define the edges, it doesn't look so bad.

Suggestions on how to do this better? If I modeled all those tentacles, the triangle count for low-LOD would go way up.

Edited by animats
Explain why not a detailed model.

Resizing, and using a lower resolution texture, helped.

Rvaneinclockhaven_001med.png.8a2be4d3abdc9aa37b501199ec52dc7d.png

Clockhaven, New Babbage. Temporary installation atop a large power station. New Babbage is always rather dark.

vaneinclockhaven_002-med.png.0378468352da6e11a02e4c84643fce13.png

Close up. The letters are also images on flat surfaces. Both arrow and letters are monochrome images with an alpha channel.

Use a tga defined alpha map, with the color channels padded to infinity outside of the alpha opaque region. That should help a little

Ah. I checked the .png file, and if I remove the alpha channel, it's white outside the clip region. I should make it dark grey. Then areas at the edge of the mask will go grey, rather than lighten, and mip-mapping won't make it look thinner. Thanks.

As Kyrah suggested, alpha mask whenever possible. That said you lose any antialiasing in doing so and that might degrade the effect overall. 

Optimo suggested alpha padding but didn't really explain what he meant, what he may have been alluding to is the practice of bleeding the colours around the masked areas, this is best known for removing the white halo as noted in the tutorial below, but it also has implications for mipmapping because of the way that the sampling occurs in openGL.(In general, the viewer should default to Anisotropic sampling, but that will vary by graphics capability)

One of the best tutorials on this is by Robin (Sojourner) Wood and it makes use of the free Flaming Pear photoshop plugins, if you are not able to use PS, those plugins are (I believe) usable within Gimp. http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/WhiteHalo1.html

The tutorial is two pages, the first page guides you through the problem itself and the second demonstrates the solution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.