MystiSin

Are there many other RL females playing males in SL?

28 minutes ago, Wayne Langer said:

I doubt 1% of avatars look like the person in RL.  

For a long time I certainly tried to make mine look like me but it wasn't going very well :ph34r: but she is still inspired in part by me. Would love to pick that project back up again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in the stone age, I made a mAlt. But he didn't live long after I realized that there was jack 'chit for the guys and if there were 'chit, I didn't know where to look because I was still enjoying the world I had just found. I can make one now, sure. Guys have more to choose from and to be honest I'm jealous of the designs that I've come across.

It doesn't matter though. People will still think I'm a dude because of the way I dress, the slang I use, and then a kink so I'll just keep rockin' on Leesha.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wayne Langer said:

I doubt 1% of avatars look like the person in RL.

My friend spends ages tinkering to look at least partly like her rl self. Both in skin shape and clothes ! Now some time back I used to try and do the same, but then I discovered flexi hair.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Guys have more to choose from and to be honest I'm jealous of the designs that I've come across.

... What? Where? When? Tell me. Give me. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... What? Where? When? Tell me. Give me. 

While girls have got the larger volume of clothing, our styles in a lot of ways are severely limited. Especially when it comes to obtaining clothes for certain specific mesh bodies. Lets use Maitreya as an example. In the world of shopping for Maitreya on SL we usually have to sift through the gajillion designers who seem to think that female clothing design should make you look like a red light hooker. If you are on marketplace that sorta makes up about 80% of what you actually see. Outside of that you have about 10% fantasy outfits, overall 60% of one designer copying another basically selling the exact same top over and over all with slight modifications to "make it their own", and about 10% of items that are actually different, interesting and worth looking at.

In male clothing, sure the volume of clothing might be less but from what I have seen the clothing design is infinitely more interesting. Especially when you delve into the realms of goth, grunge, urban and some mainstream fashion. I have yet to find a female oversized coat that looks even half as decent as some of the ones designed by say Gabriel or other primary male designers.

If you go to a female only event, you might overall find one item thats of interest and the rest is skimpy clothing, thing high hooker boots, **** me panties with holes in the front and tattoos that state "I give my all to daddy" and mostly have awful texturing IMO.  Or is all based around cutesy stuff.

Go to a male event and you have really cool trainers/sneakers based on Adidas or Yeezy style with Neo Japanese style ninja esque pants and then further down you might find an oversized grunge hoodie, some absolutely awesome tattoo designs, decent looking jewellery with cool symbols and really high quality texturing. And we can't wear any of it really because its designed solely for the main male bodies.

Guys say that "girls have more" and they do.....but more doesn't equal quality. We may have more but 80% of it is utter garbage that is badly textured and makes you look like you should be doing tricks behind a dumpster.

My opinion though, others may disagree

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

While girls have got the larger volume of clothing, our styles in a lot of ways are severely limited. Especially when it comes to obtaining clothes for certain specific mesh bodies. Lets use Maitreya as an example. In the world of shopping for Maitreya on SL we usually have to sift through the gajillion designers who seem to think that female clothing design should make you look like a red light hooker. If you are on marketplace that sorta makes up about 80% of what you actually see. Outside of that you have about 10% fantasy outfits, overall 60% of one designer copying another basically selling the exact same top over and over all with slight modifications to "make it their own", and about 10% of items that are actually different, interesting and worth looking at.

In male clothing, sure the volume of clothing might be less but from what I have seen the clothing design is infinitely more interesting. Especially when you delve into the realms of goth, grunge, urban and some mainstream fashion. I have yet to find a female oversized coat that looks even half as decent as some of the ones designed by say Gabriel or other primary male designers.

If you go to a female only event, you might overall find one item thats of interest and the rest is skimpy clothing, thing high hooker boots, **** me panties with holes in the front and tattoos that state "I give my all to daddy" and mostly have awful texturing IMO.  Or is all based around cutesy stuff.

Go to a male event and you have really cool trainers/sneakers based on Adidas or Yeezy style with Neo Japanese style ninja esque pants and then further down you might find an oversized grunge hoodie, some absolutely awesome tattoo designs, decent looking jewellery with cool symbols and really high quality texturing. And we can't wear any of it really because its designed solely for the main male bodies.

Guys say that "girls have more" and they do.....but more doesn't equal quality. We may have more but 80% of it is utter garbage that is badly textured and makes you look like you should be doing tricks behind a dumpster.

My opinion though, others may disagree

So what's it like being in my head, mmh?
chibi is absolutely right. I'll go to dude events with my best friend and y'all have the coolest stuff - but our events? We look like hookers, baby girls, and don't forget the dick shaped water bottles... Sorry, but I don't want to look like a chick half the time and when I decide to not have my ass hanging out, someone assumes I'm either a lesbian or a "G.I.R.L" and it's asinine.

@Orwar you are also right. Guy stuff is still hard to find because it's lost in the sea of "sexy" and "not so sexy" outfits; it's like pulling teeth sometimes to find quality items that aren't priced as an arm, leg, and little brother.

Edited by Laoise Rumsford
included my favorite vampire butt.
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

I'll go to dude events with my best friend and y'all have the coolest stuff - but our events? 

Where is that cool stuff hiding? I don't feel like men have a greater varity of styles than women do. If you aren't into the kind of urban-hipster-macho kind of look, the selection slims itself down a lot. And I feel like guys have a significant lack of good beachwear.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Where is that cool stuff hiding? I don't feel like men have a greater varity of styles than women do. If you aren't into the kind of urban-hipster-macho kind of look, the selection slims itself down a lot. And I feel like guys have a significant lack of good beachwear.

Cool stuff is personal preference I'd say.

I mean, every dang fashion event for men is the same drill over and over. Board shorts, tank tops, T-shirts, trousers with a boa constrictor nesting in the groin area, tattoos, poses, a few watches and hairs that all look the same. There are exceptions, such as HotDog/ContraptioN and occasionally something from CerberusXing. Deadwool's latest release came out two months ago, and their latest thing wasn't something that appealed to me at all.

Neph meanwhile has been getting new stuff on a weekly basis. She's getting expensive. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

Neph meanwhile has been getting new stuff on a weekly basis. She's getting expensive. 

I'm not going to say " I told you so" ,buuuuut..... 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, kershe said:

There was a guy who was very active in Gor, had two male alts, one an assassin and one a scribe (I think) in two different cities. It took me a long while to understand that he was a woman in RL.  I'm pretty sure (but could easily be wrong) that he was seriously into roleplay, and since men in that world have more possibilities than women, he took that character.

I really, really wanted to RP as a male, and I love creating male looks. I wanted to be a "realistic" gorean, because all the roleplayers are high caste and rich. And I wanted to be the farmer next door with a sword for self protection.

What stopped me, was that I can't talk like a guy or type like a guy. And I know nothing - literally - about gaming. I had only the basic knowledge about internet,  and all I did was using the online service from my bank to pay bills.

I think it is expected that a RL male should at least know _ something _ about gaming. And slang. Bro talk.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I really, really wanted to RP as a male, and I love creating male looks. I wanted to be a "realistic" gorean, because all the roleplayers are high caste and rich. And I wanted to be the farmer next door with a sword for self protection.

What stopped me, was that I can't talk like a guy or type like a guy. And I know nothing - literally - about gaming. I had only the basic knowledge about internet,  and all I did was using the online service from my bank to pay bills.

I think it is expected that a RL male should at least know _ something _ about gaming. And slang. Bro talk.

I read your past post and if I don't know that you are a bird you could be a guy.

You don't need to know about gaming. Not all bloke are interested in gaming.   And if you make time to time some sexist  references and you will be fine. 

Btw: We (guys) not as bright as you would think (mostly). And nobody how is a male would think you are a female.  Because why would you do so? Nobody will ask you to voice verify. If yes just say that your house hold is too noisy with the wife and the kids. 

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

35 minutes ago, Derekmate said:

I read your past post and if I don't know that you are a bird you could be a guy.

You don't need to know about gaming. Not all bloke are interested in gaming.   And if you make time to time some sexist  references and you will be fine. 

Btw: We (guys) not as bright as you would think (mostly). And nobody how is a male would think you are a female.  Because why would you do so? Nobody will ask you to voice verify. If yes just say that your house hold is too noisy with the wife and the kids. 

Just, wow.

Not all guys are 'gamers', and certainly don't feel that we are in any way required to speak any specific slang or tell sexist jokes - that's just an absolutely absurd generalisation of men. As for whether 'we guys' are bright or not, there's a wide, multi-dimensional spectrum of factors to consider with as much variety as there are men on the planet. A person who is at a point where they feel it okay to refer as themselves as 'not particularly bright' certainly shouldn't be the one to speak on behalf of 'us guys'. I've personally been asked to voice verify my identity on a couple of occasions, so claiming that it isn't going to happen at any point is entirely presumptuous. Your experience as a man doesn't cover 'the' experience of a man. 

I have been sexually harassed by strange women in both SL and RL, I have been both mentally and physically abused by partners, I have held open doors and had doors held open for me and I'm entirely at comfort with my gender and my sexuality. There's no greater trick to being a man than being a woman. I've role played as both, and once you get into the role it's not much different playing either gender - your gender isn't your character's identity or personality.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Roleplay is the best spot to 'pass' as a man, because all you need to do is to immerse yourself into the role you picked and not into "believeable man next door". Your farmer depends on your skill to deliver the role of a simple, hardworking person. You may read up a bit about medvial farming (or whatever the Gor lore has to say about that), but thats about it. Usually, any OC contact comes way later (if at all) and by then people usually already accept you, because they like playing with you.

That being said, outside of roleplay (mind you, my only roleplay guy exists in a fantasy universe) I'm not good in portraying a male character...at least thats what I draw from one of my initial conversations when running around as a male alt and getting into a conversation with a woman at the freebie Galaxy. Within minutes she asked if I was female. That...was suprisingly fast.

i have met many real women in SL. I have also met many women in SL that are guys in RL. Lately it seems that fake SL women out number real SL women. It's okay so long as you can tell and I normally can at least 90% of the time. It is really not a problem unless you want pixel sex then you have to ask yourself if you will feel differently about the person when you find out they are a fraud.

• Like 1

Calling people 'fake SL women' and referring to them as fraudulent is just pathetic. If anyone at any point wants to pixel bump someone without first bothering to find out who's on the other end, well then that's the standard you've set for yourself. It's not like pixel bumping in SL means that you're in a relationship with the person on the other end. Sure, there are people who will go out of their way to trick others for various reasons - we call that catfishing - and whilst this is something that can and does happen, it doesn't mean that it's the intent of -everyone- who has an avatar of a different gender than themselves. Heck, are we to start calling people fraudulent for being younger, slimmer, more curved or having better hair and skin in SL than in RL?

'I know that more people lie about their gender than there are people who are just plain and simply women' idea is just your empirical conclusion - it's not a mathematical fact, it's not a study, there are no statistics, just your opinion. Just going by the voices of my SL family and the staff working at my SL sister's club, my empirical conclusion is the polar opposite. More than 90% of the people whose voices I've heard in SL have been women, and 99% of the time it's been them suggesting we voice to begin with; in very few cases have I asked someone to communicate with me vocally and then only because I've been wanting to convey something that I couldn't be arsed to type. 

I have been catfished myself, twice, and it has made me very vary of who I let close - but in both of the cases, it wasn't their genders that were the lies. Real women, with female avatars, can be as fraudulent as anyone else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@Orwar Wow, Orwar calm down. See you made quite a leap there that I do not know these people. Ido. How do you think I find out they are RL Men.. See most of us talk to people on SL. We get to know one another. The fact that you do not empirically know there are more men playing women than actual women playing women means that you are simply naive or have not ever read any studies on SL populace. Anyway, enjoy your catfish. I like mine with fried with cornmeal batter and some remoulade on the side. 

Edited by JoeDex
Misspelled
  • Thanks 1

@CoffeeDujour I have never played Gorean or really been exposed to it. I know it is big in SL but the concept of slaves bothers me. Even pretend slaves. In Afghanistan you can still find actual slaves. Which is so very sad. So, for me, playing slave or slave master just gives me the willies.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

@Orwar Wow, Orwar calm down. See you made quite a leap there that I do not know these people. Ido. How do you think I find out they are RL Men.. See most of us talk to people on SL. We get to know one another. The fact that you do not empirically know there are more men playing women than actual women playing women means that you are simply naive or have not ever read any studies on SL populace. Anyway, enjoy your catfish. I like mine with fried with cornmeal batter and some remoulade on the side. 

I find it interesting, how you are able to write a response in fairly passable English but completely fail to comprehend what I just said, to the point that your response addresses absolutely nothing of what I actually said. So, I'm going to ignore your strawman arguments and simply ask that you reference your sources for these 'studies' of the Second Life population's gender identities. Seeing as Linden Lab do not share statistics of the residents' private details, I'm very curious to see whose nonsense you're spouting. 

ooohhh...  ooh.. I heard that real women aren't on the internet and they don't play video games.  Though, that just means that all those body part pics being sent to girl gamers are actually going to other men.  sings Aaaawwwwkwaaarrd!!!

Edited by Catrie

I'd like to input what other's have said. I think it might not be rare but fewer ladies are willing to admit it.

On my old account, I had two sets of avatars -  standard male and a nicer female one. I spent far more time in female form because it felt most natural. I was just myself. But when I played as a guy it was very fun because to me it felt like truly taking on another persona. I wasn't bogged down by thoughts of "What would I do? What should I say?". It wasn't a natural feeling but it was as if donning a new identity that was completely moldable and not weighed down by my own insecurities or held up by my own beliefs. Needless to say, I had fun though I never attempted to romance.

Though I'm not playing a human this time around I think I'll make my cat avatar a male too. Different gender and different species! This will be a wild ride!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think there are much more RL men with female avi than opposite.

Why I am thinking that ? Just because I see much many females.

Personnaly I try to have a female avi and My conclusion is that it is much more easy. In RL world I always hear that there is no equality between man and women etc etc but in SL that is the case. SL is a female dominant game.

How many female write they are bi?  are they real female ? I just ask the question. Why are they so many lesbian much more that in RL?

What is interesting in beeing female is the interaction between the oposite sex. It is much more easy to talk to a female as a female. As a male you are by defaut an enemy. Lesbian place are 'safe'.

Edited by Lureo
much --> many