Giving Permissions

gabbyjaws

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I feel like such a dummy I was being trained on a hud. The person training me used their hud and I sat on something which gave them permissions to my avatar. Is there a way to remove that from them? Someone told me no this cannot be undone so this person can take my lindens? The person who trained me is no longer in my Second Life but not an enemy and I was told Linden by another friend that they can control you in any place in Second Life plus steal your lindens. Any suggestions and wow I should have had a V8 what a stupid move on my part but I was not knowlegeable of what sitting on that would result in

4 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, gabbyjaws said:

I feel like such a dummy I was being trained on a hud. The person training me used their hud and I sat on something which gave them permissions to my avatar. Is there a way to remove that from them? Someone told me no this cannot be undone so this person can take my lindens? The person who trained me is no longer in my Second Life but not an enemy and I was told Linden by another friend that they can control you in any place in Second Life plus steal your lindens. Any suggestions and wow I should have had a V8 what a stupid move on my part but I was not knowlegeable of what sitting on that would result in

Do you know what sort of hud it was?   Lots of huds want you to give permissions  eg dance huds and are perfectly innocent

In most cases, this exploit is annoying but relatively harmless.  The person can animate your avatar without your permission, but only when the two of you are in the same region.  They can NOT take $L from you.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, you can use Firestorm's Avatar/Avatar Health/Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions menu command to gain at least temporary relief.  (If they then put on a new copy of their HUD you'll have to repeat this, though.)  The best solution is to simply teleport to a different region than your tormentor.

However, if you have been given an object, and then rezzed it in world or wore it, and it gave you this notice:

debit2.jpg.5893230193b91c7ec0be3a6b84d97ac5.jpg

...and you clicked Allow access, THEN that object can take $L from your account until you delete it from in world or detach it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In most cases, this exploit is annoying but relatively harmless. 

This is the part of Lindal's message to pay most attention to.  When a prim has received your permissions, it holds onto them until the script in the prim is reset or deleted.  The permissions will survive being taken back to the owner's inventory and re-rezzed, so you permissions are essentially a "permanent" feature of the prim until its owner does something about it.  The scary part is that a prim like that can be used for evil purposes, however those evil purposes are restricted to the sort of permissions that you granted.  Unless you explicitly gave the prim permission to debit your account, for example, it can't do that.  (And you would definitely know whether you gave PERMISSION_DEBIT -- a warning box with bright yellow lettering would have told you that.)   Most of the time, that means the prim will be able to animate your av -- which can be silly, embarrassing, or annoying -- but not cause any real harm.  As Lindal says, it can't even do that unless you are in the same region.  If you see that sort of thing happening, you may submit an Abuse Report, assuming that you remember the guy's name.  Otherwise, it's probably not worth worrying about.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.