Phil Deakins

Something strange and new when selecting an @ name from the list

Today, I had the same problem twice. When I wanted to include an @name at the start of the posts, and I selected the names from the drop-down list that appears after typing a few characters, the names appeared on an orange background as normal, but then I could do nothing in the post. I couldn't move the cursor in any direction, or type any characters, or even delete the @name. I haven't tested it extensively, but it occured when the first thing I placed in the posts were the @names, and both were selected from drop-down lists.

It's never happened before, so I expect that it's due to the changes that have been made recently.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

@Phil Deakins,

By the way, what browser are you using?
I wrote this with Firefox 61.0.2 (64-bit)

Firefox 61.0.2 (64 bit) - same as you.

It only happens occasionally, and it's not always when I @ a name, as I'd thought. Once in a while I can't do anything in the reply box. The cursor keys won't move the text pointer, the return key doesn't perform a return, ctrl-a doesn't select anything, etc. In fact nothing can do anything, except the mouse moves the mouse pointer, and mouse clicks function fine. I'm now wondering if it's my keyboard, but, so far, it's only happened when writing a post here.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Only if you try to argue with him, because you will be wrong.

I don't argue with him but if I am wrong I will hold my hands up.  I was having a joke not inviting people to turn it into a bash Phil post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I don't argue with him but if I am wrong I will hold my hands up.

As many of us do. It's not uncommon for me to admit when I've made a mistake, such as when I assumed something that turned out not to be true. Of course, there are  one or two people whose brains are geared to forget those occurences as soon as they've read them, but what can you do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Firefox 61.0.2 (64 bit) - same as you.

It only happens occasionally, and it's not always when I @ a name, as I'd thought. Once in a while I can't do anything in the reply box. The cursor keys won't move the text pointer, the return key doesn't perform a return, ctrl-a doesn't select anything, etc. In fact nothing can do anything, except the mouse moves the mouse pointer, and mouse clicks function fine. I'm now wondering if it's my keyboard, but, so far, it's only happened when writing a post here.

A few Firefox updates back, my Firefox started acting up similar to this but a bit different.  For me it is only the backspace key that wont' work and it is a constant.  However, that is HUGE to me because I cannot manage to type without backspacing a LOT to correct typos.  I can only delete text by selecting it with the mouse and pressing the delete key.  I updated Firefox and disabled all add-ons, but could not figure out what was causing the problem - it literally just started one morning, without me even logging out of the forums first.  

To this day I still haven't figured it out.  I even posted about it and nobody had a clue or could reproduce the problem. Thus, at least for now, I have switch my forum usage over to Chrome.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, Lil. It's very odd. My problem doesn't prevent me from completing a post, although I sometimes have to abandon the reply that I'm on and start over again.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:33 PM, Tommy Linden said:

@Phil Deakins I know you like when I have a reason to come respond to your posts, but please stop trying to break stuff on the forums! :D

Alright. I'll stop trying to break stuff in the forum - but it did work, didn't it? :D