My thoughts on mainland

PhantomPixel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

The "about land" is identical for a mainland parcel or an estate parcel. In either case,  I "own" the land, but as you said before no one really owns anything, it's all goes to rent on a server. 

Please stop playing your silly semantics games with me, you've gone far beyond being amusing to being tiresome.

Now that we're done with semantics, how about your dealing with the fact that the total amount of abandoned Mainland increased after the last time Linden Lab released large amounts of cheap land onto the market, as I showed in the other thread?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Now that we're done with semantics, how about your dealing with the fact that the total amount of abandoned Mainland increased after the last time Linden Lab released large amounts of cheap land onto the market, as I showed in the other thread?

And I'm saying, what is worse? Large amounts of abandoned land, or large amounts of land set for sale at $1 L per parcel.

Obviously the land wasn't set cheap enough. So let's go all the way and see what happens

I can't just walk up and buy abandoned land, but  I might walk up and buy land for $1 L per parcel. 

Edited by Phorumities
added a line
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

And I'm saying, what is worse? Large amounts of abandoned land, or large amounts of land set for sale at $1 L per parcel.

I can't just walk up and buy abandoned land, but  I might walk up and buy land for $1 L per parcel. 

If the large amounts of land set for $1 L per parcel increases the amount of abandoned land over time, then obviously the large amounts of land for sale at $1 L per parcel are.

You keep saying, "If I was in the market for land." Well, why aren't you? Could it be that the increased tier isn't worth adding more land regardless of the purchase price? If it isn't worth it to you, who are the mysterious masses that it is worth it for?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Some of us like to own more than the free allowance of tier, and trying to sell a large parcel is a drawn out tiresome exercise.

There's an easy solution. At one time I had five premium accounts because I owned that much sqm in mainland. I downsized and don't need that much now. 

I'm going to stop here because if I continue I'm afraid I will make this personal. You've exhausted my patience. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The next to last time you mean. They did it again earlier this year in conjunction with the change from 512 m2 to 1024 m2 tier. It's going to be itneresting to see how that pans out in the long run. Quite a few premium members have bought 1024s of course ut on the other hand, all the old big landowners I know of are scaling down.

10 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Not sure how you work out land is cheaper on mainland just doing the sums here for my 4096 plot

cost in lindens 4000 cost in us$ 15.94

for mainland I would need for the same size plot

7$ for premium + 22$ for the tier fee ( as even with the free 1024 and 10% extra I would still be above the 2048 lower tier)  which if I can add up makes 29$

Also the upfront cost of buying the mainland in the first place.

I am curious how you manage therefore to make the statement "And it's a cheaper alternative to a private estate regardless of how much land you want"

A premium account costs $72 a year. But you get L$300 back in stipend every week. Add that up and you'll find that amounts to about $60 bucks a year you get back. So in reality a Premium account, and the accompanying 1126.4sq.m. of land only costs you $12 a year, or $1 a month. You're also not limited to one Premium account. If you create three Premium accounts that is $3 a month for 3379.2sq.m. 1024sq.m. by itself costs $7 a month. So if you went that route 4505sq.m. costs you only $8/mo. Half what you're currently paying for the same space in an estate, and you get a little bit more space to boot.

As for the upfront fee, it depends on how long you have the land. If you keep it long enough, eventually the amount you save in tier every month will exceed the amount it cost you up front to buy the land. And remember, because of the 10% tier boost, as you increase the amount of land you pay for, on mainland, the more free land you get in addition to what you're paying for. You don't get that deal with a private estate.

And that is how I make the statement that mainland is a cheaper alternative to private estates. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A yearly Premium account costs.... $72 a year.

Linden stipend is NOT money back, it is not Linden Lab paying you back.

People really need to stop pretending that the average user or Premium subscriber just sits on their Stipend, waiting to convert it or cash it out. 

You are talking about potential cost reduction -while helpful it irritates me to no end that such reduction methods are presented in such a way as to be The Way It Is. 

could save far more than current Premium users by sitting on the L$400 a week stipend I receive, converting it after a few months.... Like most, that Stipend goes elsewhere. 

Is it L$ I end up not purchasing? Yes and in that way and that way alone it can be viewed as saving money.

No, I'm not going to debate this. No, I'm not looking for discussion on the matter. And I really don't care all that much that you or anyone else that posts here does it differently. 

I'm simply not in the mood to have let that bit of misinformation slip by without comment. There's my reaction, here's my comment. Moving on. 

Have a nice day. 

35 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Linden stipend is NOT money back, it is not Linden Lab paying you back.

38 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Is it L$ I end up not purchasing? Yes and in that way and that way alone it can be viewed as saving money.

What you are describing is literally giving LL a bunch of money, then getting some of that money back, doled out a little at a time, which you can spend as you see fit. Whether it be put towards reducing your land fees, or indulging your crushing addiction for overpriced prim hats, which otherwise you'd have to buy more L$ to do.

I will grant you that LL does it this way because they want to entice you to spend that money in SL, keeping that money in the SL economy, and their pockets. At least, I think that's what you're getting at.  And, if so, I'll even agree that point has merit. You get a little back at a time, never enough to cover a significant part of your tier, but enough to easily spend on some inworld items. It takes some willpower and foresight to do that, and not everyone will have either of those traits.

If you can't handle money without spending it as soon as you get it, then the weekly stipend you get back from LL probably isn't going to help reduce your land costs. Again, I agree and I think that is a good point.  But for those who can set money aside to apply towards their next premium payment, it is a substantial savings in land costs. One I've personally benefited from for years.

2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

So, Solar, does that laugh reaction mean you disagree? It usually seems to. If so, what do you disagree with?

It's scorn. One or two people, especially Solar, have taken to using the laugh icon to pour scorn on posts. It's become quite common, which is a shame because it makes me not want to use it without an accompanying post to show that it's genuine mirth. Personally, I think it's despicable.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ty, Solar. I'll take the last word that you offered.

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that the laugh icon here is understood by we users as a whole to show mirth, and not to 'laugh people to scorn', which is how you usually use it. I don't think I'd be wrong by saying that we users here prefer it to be used for genuine mirth, and don't want it be used for scorn.

@Garnet Psaltery Assuming that Solar meant what he said about the last word, you are now free to have it with my blessing :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ty, Solar. I'll take the last word that you offered.

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that the laugh icon here is understood by we users as a whole to show mirth, and not to 'laugh people to scorn', which is how you usually use it. I don't think I'd be wrong by saying that we users here prefer it to be used for genuine mirth, and don't want it be used for scorn.

@Garnet Psaltery Assuming that Solar meant what he said about the last word, you are now free to have it :)

Yay!  And the last word is ... CHOCOLATE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.