My thoughts on mainland

PhantomPixel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I wonder if anyone who has to deal with VAT could chime in on this?

as i already told.... i am in europe, en premium is NOT subject to VAT, as my post... Blush post already showed. The one who claims he does, let hem make a screenshot of his accountpage and show what he pays..

It's simple: you only pay VAT on the shown fees

Edited by Ethan Paslong

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Isn’t it also more than $72 in some countries based on the Exchange Rate?

Yes, $100 for me + 5% conversion fee that the bank takes. Should likely be 10% GST on top, but so far the Lab have not been collecting this. Hopefully they won't start. (keeps a low head)

sir_john_monash_university_industrial_design_note_100.jpg.1a7b4ca20a5a8fa144822405b066114d.jpg

Fun fact: Aussie notes have small amounts of beef products in them. As we have exported the technology to other countries like England, their notes have also become vegan unfriendly.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Yes, $100 for me + 5% conversion fee that the bank takes. Should likely be 10% GST on top, but so far the Lab have not been collecting this. Hopefully they won't start. (keeps a low head)

ehm perhaps explain that?

100 + 5 + 10 ?

FWIW. LL used to swallow the VAT themselves, so that EU users didn't pay any more to LL than U.S. users. Then they changed it and collected VAT for the EU. At the time, I think they had premises within the EU, so they had no choice but to pay the VAT to the EU. They certainly had premises over here for long enough, and I think they had when they started to collect VAT. I think they no longer have any premises within the EU and, if that's so, they are not subject to EU laws, and don't have to collect VAT for the EU. Perhaps that's why they stopped collecting it.

Anyway, the whole argument is pointless, because what Penny argues is perfectly correct, but not for everyone.

Edited by Phil Deakins

4 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

ehm perhaps explain that?

100 + 5 + 10 ?

All up it's about US$80 for me for a year's premium, but then again that depends on the exchange rate. It could be 10% more except that the Lab don't actually collect the GST as they should.

$100 is the forex exchange rate. It's a bit more then this in fact as few people get the pure forex rate.

+ a little more then $5 for the bank for currency conversion

As for exchange rate that is heading down now thanks to Trump's trade war on the rest of the world, so the costs are rising for me.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:53 AM, animats said:

On 8/31/2018 at 8:48 AM, Solar Legion said:

Further - not everyone bloody wants road/waterway access.

That's what all those little square private islands are for - people who want their own private box. Mainland is for people who want to be connected to the big world.

Walled-off areas on mainland look ugly from the outside. If that's what you want, please move off mainland.

Not wanting road/waterway access is not the same as wanting your own private box or saying that you want a walled off area.  Maybe some of us prefer an isolated wooded look, away from any general SL traffic. 

Who says that being on the mainland is for people who want to be connected to the big world.  Fly around and notice all the ban lines and security orbs that will tell you a lot of folks think differently.

• Like 4

On 9/1/2018 at 2:11 PM, KanryDrago said:

Whereas if you own it as a friend of mine did and happen to not have the funds when LL takes your premium they lock your account as has recently happened to a friend of mine who forgot to cancel her account when she got laid off and can no longer log in to SL.

So LL should just eat the debt because your friend FORGOT to do something?  What other collateral does LL really have other than your account.  Just taking back the land and returning your objects isn't going to prompt anyone to pay their debt.

The big difference between that and renting is that renting is paid in advance and if you don't pay it, then the landlord will kick you out.  Tier is paid in arrears, which means that the person owes LL for something that they have already used.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Those terms are in direct conflict .  Someone who OWNS something does not PAY RENT for it.

You are confusing RL land ownership with SL land ownership, as do so many others in here.

When  I buy a parcel on mainland, my name shows as owner in "about land".

When I buy a parcel on an estate, my name shows as owner, just the same.

If you own mainland you pay rent (tier) to Linden Labs, the owner of mainland

If you own on an estate, you pay rent to the sim owner.

As others have said, no one really owns any land in SL, you are paying for space on a server.

There is nothing "real" that you own.

P.S. You own land in real life? Try not paying your taxes on it and see where that gets you

P.P.S It IS possible to rent land on mainland or on an estate, but you aren't listed as owner. I don't recommend it at all

P.P.P.S When you "buy" land on mainland or an estate, all you are really buying is the right to pay rent or tier to the real owner

Edited by Phorumities
changed a word, added stuff
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2018 at 3:48 AM, Phil Deakins said:

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that the laugh icon here is understood by we users as a whole to show mirth, and not to 'laugh people to scorn'

From many of the posts that I see, I'm pretty sure a lot of us use it both ways - we laugh about a post because it is funny and we laugh at a post because it is ridiculous, but not necessarily in a 'good laugh' way.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:27 AM, KanryDrago said:

Buying Lindens and renting allows me that control a subscription doesnt

Here is where I find paying my money to LL gives me more piece of mind.  With LL, I simply add my PayPal account, which is tied to a credit card that only expires every 2-4 years.  If I were to suddenly get laid up in the hospital with no way to log into SL, my payment method is still valid and my land, home, and all contents would still be there whenever I logged in next -whether that is a few weeks or months or whatever.  If I was renting, I would have to log in every week/month to pay some rent or have all my stuff returned and no home to come back to when I finally did come back to SL.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not wanting road/waterway access is not the same as wanting your own private box or saying that you want a walled off area.  Maybe some of us prefer an isolated wooded look, away from any general SL traffic. 

Who says that being on the mainland is for people who want to be connected to the big world.  Fly around and notice all the ban lines and security orbs that will tell you a lot of folks think differently.

What I can never understand is people buy an outside parcel on an island estate, and then put giant walls around all four sides, even the ocean side. Anyone that wants to live in a box really needs to rezz a platform several thousands of meters in the sky and not blight their property for the rest of the sim.

• Like 4

I think mainland owners should have options to nominate land for linden home generation. And the premium user can choose whether they want to be allocated in linden residential estates or private community lands. The core issue I noticed is that people who uses linden homes usually are not familiar with land purchase. 

• Moles
On 9/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

I think mainland owners should have options to nominate land for linden home generation. And the premium user can choose whether they want to be allocated in linden residential estates or private community lands. The core issue I noticed is that people who uses linden homes usually are not familiar with land purchase. 

Linden Homes were always originally intended to only be "starter homes" and provide a means for residents to experience land ownership first hand before diving in and spending L$ on land purchased or rented from other residents. It stands to reason that many people still using a Linden Home aren't yet familiar with buying land because they haven't gotten to that point. Linden Homes also come with many restrictions. Once a resident decides they want something with less or different restrictions they can choose to do that and abandon their Linden Home, making it available for someone else. Most of those restriction are done in region or estate wide settings. This makes it impossible to mix Linden Homes with any other land or estates. They will always be their own separate little community.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Linden Homes were always originally intended to only be "starter homes" and provide a means for residents to experience land ownership first hand before diving in and spending L$ on land purchased or rented from other residents. It stands to reason that many people still using a Linden Home aren't yet familiar with buying land because they haven't gotten to that point. Linden Homes also come with many restrictions. Once a resident decides they want something with less or different restrictions they can choose to do that and abandon their Linden Home, making it available for someone else. Most of those restriction are done in region or estate wide settings. This makes it impossible to mix Linden Homes with any other land or estates. They will always be their own separate little community.

It also stands to reason that users will not use a particular feature/addition in the way that they were "intended" to be used.

Why go out and grab a parcel (often paying an insane price through the auction system or to those looking to do nothing more than make a quick buck) which you then have to plop a building onto - already reducing the available LI before any furniture is added - when you can get a parcel with a building on it that doesn't cut into the already limited LI?

I'd love to replace my Linden Home with a 512 or 1024 plot - not at the further expense of getting less available LI however. it is why I have not bothered looking seriously for a 4096 of my own either (been renting from a larger Baron for several years for that reason alone).

The Linden Home makes a nice "Retreat" of sorts and outside of supplying my own furniture requires little land management.

Mind, I'm just one user but seriously .... If you really think that most of those who've stuck with a Linden Home do so because they aren't familiar with buying land .... Newer users? Possibly. Long time users? Not likely.

• Moles
9 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

It also stands to reason that users will not use a particular feature/addition in the way that they were "intended" to be used.

Yes, the law of unintended consequences, which end up having consequences of their own. That's how we get new features like estate tools that prevent people from putting up ban lines.

Edited by Abnor Mole

On 9/4/2018 at 11:40 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Here is where I find paying my money to LL gives me more piece of mind.  With LL, I simply add my PayPal account, which is tied to a credit card that only expires every 2-4 years.  If I were to suddenly get laid up in the hospital with no way to log into SL, my payment method is still valid and my land, home, and all contents would still be there whenever I logged in next -whether that is a few weeks or months or whatever.  If I was renting, I would have to log in every week/month to pay some rent or have all my stuff returned and no home to come back to when I finally did come back to SL.

Shrugs my landlord is good and as he knows if I am late with the rent I will catch up never forecloses on my land, was off for 5 months once. Admittedly I said I am taking a break but will be back. Came back all my stuff was still there

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.