Transitions Between Animations in a Sequence

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using AVsitter's AVsequence to play an animation sequence. The transitions between the animations is not always smooth. It seems at random times at these transitions the avatar is briefly displaced from the position set in the Avpos notecard, which can be as much as a full body height. When it happens the duration of it happening might just one, or a very few frames.

Each animation in the sequence was made to loop indefinitely in its final frame when the animation was created in Blender. The times given the WAIT statements in the  [AV]sequence_settings notecard is right now exactly the amount of time the animation it is for runs to millisecond resolution. The frame rate for the animations are 12 FPS.

What can be done about these displacements?

It's important to sequence the animations in an order that allows for the smoothest transition and to also set the timing right (with the WAIT command) - as for any jarring repositioning, be sure to set the position for all poses and save them into the AVpos notecard first.

If you are hiding the sequenced poses (but not creating a TOMENU to that set in the AVpos notecard) - then you should create one temporarily to test them. Then do each pose and watch how the transition goes, then adjust each pose so it is as smooth as possible. Then when done, run the sequence and watch the transitions. If all is good then edit AVpos and remove the TOMENU command to hide that section if desired.

I've been doing AVsitter since it first came on the market, so I like to think I'm pretty adept at it. Feel free ti PM me here if you'd like to discuss it more.

And one thing I do with sequences is to buy RNP FP animations - look for their "Engines" - these are a series of animations that, when played in order, are perfect transitions from one pose to the next pose - literally creating one super-long animation. They aren't cheap, but they are *AMAZING* - here's a cuddles engine from RNP (there is a "personal" no-transfer version also): https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/RNP-FloorBed-Couples-2016-Engine-23-full-perm-romantic-animations-with-MLP-and-AVSitter-settings/10349404

Edited by Alyona Su

I have already done smooth transitions. The last frame of each animation in the sequence is identical to the next one''s first frame. Each animtion's last frame is in a loop so if there is delay in starting the next animation the avatar does not revert to the default pose. All the animations came from the same NLA track in Blender and have the same origin bone location. Each animation comes from one or more Action Strips in that NLA track. In the AVpos file each animation has identical position and orientation assignments, as determined using the Adjuster. When the entire NLA track is played Blender shows a smooth animation. Lack of smooth transitions is not what the problems is.

The sequence became necessary because the entire NLA track in one anim file would exceed SL's play time and file size requirements.

I am not interested in purchasing animations now, most especially sexual ones. I am creating animations in Blender because the ones I want are not available anywhere. They are for a highly customized need.

Edited by agentronin

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It sounds like it's a file-loading issue - set your timing to about .5 seconds to 1 full second short to allow for the next animation to load... so a 10 second animation will have a WAIT time on 9.5 or 9.

I set the final frame of each animation to loop indefinitely. This way the animation remains in its final posture until the next animations starts. So I do not know what difference setting the timing short would do, except risk that the next animation will start before the current one is finished.

From what I observe when the animation sequence is played the problem seem to be the statement to position and rotate the avatar is not being executed fast enough. It is as if the avatar is very briefly in its default position on the prim.

Edited by agentronin

Welcome to the Twilight zone of sequences!

I can not give you the solid advice how to fix the issue, but maybe this experience might explain few things:

Sequence ready animations made in 2017, uploaded as .anim files with 46 seconds length each, were asking for 44.5 seconds setup in AvSitter and MLP.

To check the timing, I've uploaded them as .bvh files as well, with 3 viewers, measured them with stopwatch tenths of times, and yes, animations were 46 seconds.

I've experimented with setup till I finally got smooth transition on 44.5 second setup.

The problem with 46 seconds setup was that first part of the sequence would play 44.5 seconds, than would go back to the beginning of the part 1 playing additional 1.5 second to reach 46 second setup, and than would jump to second part of the sequence.

It was not the first time I was making sequenced animations, it is just the fresh example. I've always have had that issue, with Avsitter and MLP as well, whenever I choose to work with the new animation length.

I couldn't find any info on the issue, nor some kind of mathematical rule.

10 seconds will call for 9 seconds setup, 3 seconds animations for 2.5 seconds setup and 29 second for 28 seconds setup.

I think we expect too much of SL animation system and AvSitter.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.