Who are you? We want to know

Dakota Linden

I came in in May 2018 with no expectations or ambitions. I've never gamed before, and I'm not sure if I'm gaming here. I did, and still do the usual exploring, but because I'm a natural chatterbox, I didn't hesitate to open conversations anywhere.

I was kept here in SL by discovering the marketplace in the early days. I also hung around sims I felt comfortable in, and they are all part of the newbie friendly list. I made some good friends early on which I still have. I go dancing when I can find time, at some lovely venues, and more recently I shop in store. Every sim provides the opportunity for new friends and often I will start a chat with someone by complimenting an item of clothing and this leads on to more chat and sometimes friendship.

I have had a fairly simple lifestyle here so far, and just love the whole thing. More recently I found the Forum and the Cartel, and drop in at the breakfast club when I can. Timings are not always convenient!! I'm UK so SL time +8.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Hey! That stuff can be pretty...

... That looks a little bit like when you marble papers. We use a lot of marbled paper, and marble it myself - bookbinding is so much fun.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Yay!  Thank you all SO much for sharing. 

It is only fair that I do the same.  I posted a brief in one of the other threads around here somewhere, asking about Lindens, but I will offer more here. 

I started in SL as a user WAY back in December 2006 and by sheer dumb luck, was posting on the old SLExchange Forums where I caught the attention of Kristy, the manager of the site, and was offered part time "job" doing item reviews for L$.  It made shopping much nicer since I could see all of the stuff that the merchants were creating and listed, and I got a few L$ a week to help pay for the stuff I was buying.

We (SLX) went to SLCC in Tampa in 2008 and got a chance to see and meet some of the users and the Linden's who attended.   I guess the Linden's were impressed with SLExchange/Xstreetsl, since by the end of the year in 2008 Jay had been made an offer for the Marketplace, and by the middle of the 2009, Linden had acquired the site and we were folded into the company.

Of the 7 of us who were working for SLX at the time, 6 transitioned to the Lab and only 2 of us remain with the company today.  

There have been a LOT of changes during those years, both within Linden Lab and with the Marketplace. Brooke worked really hard behind the scenes to transition the Marketplace over to Direct Delivery and VMM, and I was sorry when she left the company.  

Grumpity has done an AWESOME job since she took over, and is also working very hard behind the scenes to continue to build on VMM and work through the massive backlog of requests and issues that had to be placed on the back burner during the DD and subsequent VMM change.  

For the longest time (like YEARS), I was the only one handling everything on the customer facing side of the Marketplace. So all tickets, item reviews, etc., landed on my desk, so to speak.  

Recently, as I am sure a lot of you have noticed, tickets are now being handled by a bunch of other employees.  Instead of being a "team of one", I am now on our Customer Accounts team with a group of other amazing people.  

So my job duties have expanded and we now have help on the Marketplace regarding tickets, Flag Reports, etc.

I will eventually retire, and move on from Linden Lab, but I am hoping that I manage to stay around for at least 10 - 15 years before that happens, so you should be stuck with me for at least the next 1-5 years LOL, since 2019 will be my tenth year with the company.

I am a gamer at heart, and when not at work, I am usually playing some type of game,  Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, WoW (For the Alliance!), etc., but I also enjoy getting outside sometimes (I am not a total hermit), and enjoy taking drives out to the lake (when it isn't full of toxic algae), heading over to one of the local islands and grabbing lunch with family or friends, or traveling, which I haven't been doing enough of lately. 

And..... if you couldn't tell by my Pride Bear Icon, I am part of the LGBT Community.  :D

Are they still hiring people and paying in Lindens? I'd love to terraform the messes people leave when they abandon mainland, and maybe plant a few trees too.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm Fio, an oddball silvicultural engineer from Germany,

I've always been a tinkerer. I'm into hacking SL objects as in making them do stuff they were not supposed to do. Silly things I have experimented with are Holodecks, vehicle scripts, Linden combat damage scripts for cars, completly outfitting a plain sailboat with furniture and trying to make more than one car working from a half finished SLRR script I found.

I was never actively looking for friends in SL, they just happend along the way :D.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Are they still hiring people and paying in Lindens? I'd love to terraform the messes people leave when they abandon mainland, and maybe plant a few trees too.

I'd do that for very little.  The first thing I do with new land is get my boots on and terraform; the next thing is to plant trees.  We should team up :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'd do that for very little.  The first thing I do with new land is get my boots on and terraform; the next thing is to plant trees.  We should team up :D

Truth be told, I'd do it for free.

*smiles*

• Like 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Not with Linden Lab.  That was how I was originally paid when I first started with SLExchange. 

• Like 1

All right, so... I'm a bit of a loner, and I like to explore -- sometimes I just hop on my old horse and ride through the mainland. I like how eclectic it is. You get to see the newest items on one plot, and prims that were rezzed in 2004 on the next, and sometimes a mix of both. I love that. When exploring with a goal in mind, I tend to go to steampunk/victorian-themed sims or visit countries.

I also like small dance clubs with a lot of chatting.

But mostly, I'm a crafter. I like creating stuff, IRL or SL. In SL, it used to mean texturing clothes (back in 2006-2009), then more recently I moved to static meshes (mostly props) and I've just started to rig clothes. Weight painting is actually rather enjoyable... when the mesh doesn't explode, that is!

So, yeah. Basically, I'm shy and busy. ?

• Like 7

I joined SL back in 2007 and after floundering around for about a year trying to figure how everything worked out - especially the residents - I became friends with a group of people who were beginning to mess around with building. It really was the best fun, I learned a lot about SL and also about other important things, such as the need to avoid drama, and not to take anything too seriously - especially myself.

I built a lot of warehouse/industrial stuff with broken windows and falling in roofs (remember lots of those kinds of builds back then) - those were the days of prims, textures and some sculpties. The prim was restricted to 10m sizes so the hunt for a stable 'giant prim' was real. The warehouses turned into grunge clubs and many evenings were spent lazing around, dancing, drinking (quite often in RL) and listening to music that wouldn't really have been played in my house RL. Discovering that art could be a huge part of SL experience was a real plus for me, hearing live music, acting out childhood fantasies as a vampire or a survivalist was 'laugh out loud' fun in RL as well as SL.

SL looked as though it was going to be something special, a good compliment to the hassles and constraints of RL (which wasn't bad either). I loved meeting people from around the world, the diversity of characters in SL is terrific, and as I never did the 'love/partner' thing I didn't worry too much about who anyone actually was in RL terms, people were people and SL was like a giant dolls house village for grown ups, I was of an older generation on SL and it was a sort of silly fun I thought I was way past and I loved actually learning new stuff and learning about places, things and music/art/literature I'd never have been exposed to in my RL. ?

I think it began to change for me around 2012, friends leaving, builds changing, somehow 'drama' seemed to be hard to avoid in clubland and leaked into every other area, so I gave the social side of SL a miss and tried other things. To be honest I missed the camaraderie and fun of discovering how to make builds better and then using them for great social events, showing off what I could do with pieces of plywood and paint, with additional sculpties for things that dressed the place.

The 'arrival' of mesh for me was a big thing in my SL experience, no longer were prim builds enough, mesh allowed builds that prim builders just couldn't achieve - especially with prim restrictions. I didn't want to learn blender, I didn't want to spend hours on a software programme, the whole point of SL was doing things inworld with other people and having fun with successes and disasters just the same. I bounced about SL for a bit, looking for new things to be interested in but gradually my time in SL became shorter and by 2014/2015  time spent in SL had dropped to maybe once a month just to nip about looking at the wonderful new builds and maybe have a chat with any old acquaintances who were online. Most of those were disappearing also, either to new identities or leaving SL like I was. 2015 was the last year I visited SL anyway regularly. in the past 3 years I think I've been online maybe half a dozen times.

Finding myself with a bit more free time on my hands in the last month or so, I made the journey back for a while anyway. It took me ages to remember how to work things, including viewer,  and the mesh avi thing is a proper learning curve. The bigger tier free plot is great, prims can be almost any size (that had happened before I left) and for the moment relearning how to build is more fun than watching TV. I've already met some lovely and generous people (Rhonda sorted mesh out for me, I will be forever grateful) and although I'm not the most sociable of people (comes with age) I'm giving SL another try. After this week my time here is limited (I was never a 7 day week resident anyway) but I will be around and about a couple of evenings (UK time) most weeks and you might bump into me as I wander about looking for what is now the best of SL.

Making friends, well I always reckoned it was about doing stuff you actually like, not lying or creating false impressions, and keeping it light and cheerful and not trying too hard.

So hi everyone, maybe see you around inworld ?

• Like 14

I joined Second Life in 2008 at the age of 19 years old. I've been here for nearly 11 years. Were their some gaps in that time. Sure. But the reason I joined back then and the reason I stay are pretty much the same. Love the people I've gotten to know here, and it is still very much fun for me to be a resident here. 

Super outgoing. Love to voice chat and meet people from all over the world.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh..Who are we in Real / First Life!!

In RL, I was born on a sultry summer evening in 1970, to a couple who ditched their television set with my arrival and never purchased another. After being declared "precocious" (in the worst possible sense) by school officials, my parents decided to home school me. They eventually got so tired of my antics that they shipped me off to engineering school. I graduated at the age of 18 and went to work for a small company that was eventually consumed by a large company. I pursued a MSEE, but got distracted by my work and a cute MBA student who received a substantial monetary reward from my father for taking me off his hands. He was still cute a decade later when we divorced and he returned the money. I moved back home with my parents, who promptly moved out. My ex-hubby now has a lovely family with a wife who pumps me for tease worthy dirt on him when we lunch together, and four kids that call me "Aunt Maddy" and have been visiting their emergency backup grandmother (my mom) as she recovers from a stroke.

After a dozen years the large company disposed of me in a reshuffling, declaring me "high maintenance", a term used to describe people (okay, just me) who tell top management they don't know what the hell they're doing. Rather than be high maintenance for another company, I started my own consulting business. Tired of telling myself that I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I retired six years ago.

Since then I have been wasting my life away trying to complete all the remodeling projects my father started way back in the late 1940s. My easy distractibility slows my progress but I am hopeful that, unlike him, I'll outlive the effort.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

/me takes a deep breath...

Hmmm... I am born and raised on Maui (yes, THAT Maui) but now in Seattle area (don't ask) Hahaha

I'm a hybrid Korean American and a military brat, so I got to see the world (I think I love Germany the best). I'm pretty short in RL (like 5'2) which is kind of unacceptable in SL so I have to make myself taller and I'm still a midget when standing next to some you, Amazonian people!

I wanted to go into communications and studied that, but never finished it because graphic design stole my passion midway through, though I still am a stickler for saying what you mean and meaning what you say, so I try always to be careful in choosing my words.

If you've made it past that boring part above, I've been in SL since mid-2005 and this account since mid-2006. I've done and seen it all from then to now, and SL is still just as fascinating as ever. Anyone who claims boredom should not hang around because fun will never come to you, go get it yourself.

I have learned to build and script and create things, and over the last few years, I've learned the fun of sailing, motorboating and flying - helicopters because airplanes in SL make me laugh at how they fly.

I've just in the last few months discovered the joy of railroading in SL even though I've known about SLRR since way back in my first month. It is because I play Get The Freight Out that I discovered it (I didn't know you could play that with trains).

So I dumped my land in Sansara to move to Atoll and created a Shipping Company called DAMNSIM CROSS (get it?), and it's open to the public! (Unlocked vehicles, G-rated Cuddle furniture, rez zone with a 60-Minute return, etc.)

I *LOVE* to be helpful to people, especially genuinely-new accounts (most are just new alts, I suspect).

As for friends: the hard part isn't in finding them, it's in *keeping* them. What I mean to say is that communication seems to fade away then what's the purpose of keeping them in the list? Half of them (in my case) seem to be looking for the "something more" type relationship, which I'm all for, just not so fast (everything happens so fast in SL!) - I suspect they get bored with me and move on or something because of impatience.

Okay, I think I should stop here while I'm even and no longer "ahead" LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Since a picture is worth a thousand words ... here's me.

Coffee.thumb.jpg.c4e24e57e5e27130c4efa19d2aec2893.jpg

From left to right, Bunn coffee maker, bur grinder with Starbucks of some sort, burr grinder with Deathwish coffee, pour over careffe in front, vacuum sealed coffee bean can (deathwish coffee in it), a coffee bag of Bones salted caramel beans, french press and finally, poking out past the press is a small hand crank burr grinder.

In the window seal are two tea infusers with a glass "baggie" candy bowl between them.  Dirty as all get out but it is what it is.  This corner of the kitchen is well used :)

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Maybe you could become a Mole?  I think the Moles should have a Mainland Restoration crew!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Since a picture is worth a thousand words ... here's me.

Coffee.thumb.jpg.c4e24e57e5e27130c4efa19d2aec2893.jpg

From left to right, Bunn coffee maker, bur grinder with Starbucks of some sort, burr grinder with Deathwish coffee, pour over careffe in front, vacuum sealed coffee bean can (deathwish coffee in it), a coffee bag of Bones salted caramel beans, french press and finally, poking out past the press is a small hand crank burr grinder.

In the window seal are two tea infusers with a glass "baggie" candy bowl between them.  Dirty as all get out but it is what it is.  This corner of the kitchen is well used :)

If I were to visit your house, would I find you on the ceiling?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6