Melissaa Sirnah

Did all the big hangout spots disappear?

Seems like all the hubs and super social clubs dried up...or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? Where does everyone hang out nowadays? 

Same story as everyone else, I left for awhile and upon returning found that many of the places I used to really enjoy are either gone or uninhabited now. ?

Depends on what sort of crowd you find comfortable to be around ...

While many of the places i hung out at early in my SL time have since vanished, some have stuck around for the long haul (mainly due to being more inclusive, Adult oriented/friendly places) while either changing names or something as simple as their locations.

I know one dancing place which is always on, 24/7. There's always DJ and host or hostess. Most DJs talk (I know only one exception who types instead of speaking). There are always people, during weekends it can get very crowded. Everything is mostly in Spanish and the music is mostly Latin music with some exceptions.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/TROPICANA SALSA BALLROOM/125/91/3427

Now I wonder are there any other such places in SL with constant activity going on?

5 hours ago, Melissaa Sirnah said:

Seems like all the hubs and super social clubs dried up...or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? Where does everyone hang out nowadays? 

Same story as everyone else, I left for awhile and upon returning found that many of the places I used to really enjoy are either gone or uninhabited now. ?

There are plenty of places you can go to listen to music with a lot of other people around; 

Cay’s Club, the Factory, Club Retro, The River, Purple Gator & Wet Willies are just a few.

Finding a place you can go to TALK and socialize - thats harder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Finding a place you can go to TALK and socialize - thats harder.

Is that something new?

No, I'm not trying to be ironic, it's a serious question. I've only been in SL for five years, remember, so I wouldn't know.

It was odd. Some years back I stopped clubbing and disappeared into a RP sim for a long time.

The club’s I used to hang out in had all manner of people text chatting.

When I surfaced from RP land, clubs nowadays are filled with silent dancers, gesture spammers or people Skyping. It’s really an art form to get many people to engage outside of random pickup lines.

The ”Social” SL of the early days where most of us were Geeks and Geekettes seems to have shifted its social center of gravity.

Either that, or we evolved beyond textual relations ?

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 2

Hm another problem for me is some places disqualifying themselves because of their visitors. If I get random IMs or am hit on chances are decreasing this place will ever see me again, especially if there´s another language than English used predominantly. Seriously I don´t run around expecting people to understand german. It´s rude. English was voted as the world´s communication language and while my Spanish is ok if I read it I still prefer being addressed to in English... even if it´s to ask if I speak Spanish...

It´s worse with the Portuguese speaking folks though... And in the crowded sims, the scum of SL seems to gather, too... 

Hence I hesitate to peek into new locations :/

I hang at adult places because:

- Interesting people (you can literally se anything);
- Sometimes funny things happen;
- Sometimes nice people start an interesting chat.

I rarely go to clubs, they tend to be too laggy and people are usually full of themselves or not really friendly with others than their circle. It's working for me for years ?

Edited by Sylvannas Zulaman

The LONDON CITY - Soho & Regent's Park sim always many ppl and opportunity for good conversations. Also good shows, music and as in RL London pub crawling possible.

And else based on interests participate in events and learn ppl to know - for example building, art, music, sailing etc.

Edited by Rachel1206

Not long after I started (going on ten years ago) I happened to meet a DJ who I've stayed in contact with ever since (even during the few years I was virtually absent inworld). Everywhere she worked, the clubs were as many have described here: the big draw was the socializing—a bunch of us all 'talking' in text. That was one of the coolest things I discovered here: you could talk right through the music without interrupting the audio in the slightest.

The DJ in question nowadays has her own club. It's still exactly the same. The chatter in Public is almost non-stop. I won't name it here to avoid making this an advertisement, but her name's in my Picks if you're interested. She's not alone, either. There are still places like that.

I hang out at London City. Every now & then I try other places for a while, but they’re either deserted or troll-friendly.

yeah I´m kinda a person non grata at the London Sims (they´ve got a point though, my comments on the sims will never be too positive xept for the scenery... I´ve met quite some awesome people there but ...well it´s a starter sim...so you get all the horrible idiots and their obnoxious behaviour in local and - if you dare to go - voice occasionally, too... But worse are the horrible unasked for IMs. Especially if you´re one of the few there who put some effort in your avi (and money mind you)... Some gladly accept help but most...well...

And the admins don´t do anything to change that, which is a shame...

That makes it even harder for me cos a) London´s only one hour behind for me and b) it´s very active....but yeah this time I really won´t and...can´t ...go back XD (I´ve not been banned, I really had to no good argument, when the owner asked me why he should host me... I was like "yeah.... tbh you got a point.... unless things change here we won´t be on common ground and...I really should leave... tc")

He and his hubby are great folks, but...unfortunately that´s not enough :/

In my opinion, one or two IMs is something I tolerate. It is not bothering me. The club Cody mention, I have been there both in this av and on alts. All have mesh bodies, heads, updated clothes and look good. Sometimes in long dresses, sometimes in sexy, very short latex. I got 2 IMs in the latex dress and one in a long red gown, but reply that I don't speak Spanish.

It is really not much, I can vouch that the club is full, and Saturday it was stage dancers and full house.

Others can have a no IMs limit. I find it too harsh in social clubs.

Edited by Marianne Little

On 8/29/2018 at 1:41 AM, Melissaa Sirnah said:

I've noticed some disappear from the Mainland, and I don't know if they moved to the Islands or what.

I see that big Furry woods with the concerts is still popular.

Also the whole reason I rented a stall in London City which does very well is because I saw lots of real people there talking, not bots.

Same with Wet Willies where I get ads sometimes. You have to follow the green dots. But a giveaway that they are bots is if they are in regular formations, like troops in lines.

• Haha 1