Outfits, Scripts, Bakes on Mesh: How do people handle appliers, layers, etc?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, angeoco said:

That's exactly what I do. If a pair of jeans has a HUD with 10 colour options, you can make up to another 9 copies of the jeans, wear each copy in turn and change its colour via the HUD. You then have a collection of jeans of different colours, and the HUD becomes redundant.

This also applies to mesh bodies. I still have a few outfits that use applier clothing (Ball Gown for example: applier top, object skirt) - I save the "applied" body with the outfit.

One neato trick many are not aware of is that you can wear the same body over the top of your current body and it only adds about 5K ARC (in my case, anyway) - so that applier-based body now becomes the "top object" of that outfit. I'm able to attach and detach at-will the same as the skirt.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, Qie Niangao said:

When I change outfits, I can make auto-alpha (usually) do what I want to hide and show body parts corresponding to the change, but I don't know any way to make my mesh body add/remove layers and applied textures accordingly.

You can use RLV to wear alpha layers!

On 8/28/2018 at 4:04 PM, Qie Niangao said:

will it paint the textures on those layers and activate all and only those layers that were active when the outfit was saved? If it does all that, does it also preserve alpha

If an attachment is set to use bakes, making separate copies of the body will not save any specific textures on them. They will only remember that they are using bakes, which means that every copy of your BOM attachments will be using whatever layers you are wearing at that time, and they will update automatically as you wear/remove clothing layers.

This also means that you can save what you are wearing as an outfit while keeping all of your BOM attachments the same. Since your layers will be different, your (same) attachments will look different.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never save the body/head/hands/feet. Because I change skins, and then when I wear a saved outfit, I get a copy of the body... With the old skin.

I use outfits and delete body parts, so when I add the outfit, all I add is shoes/boots, hair, jewelry and clothes.

I save the HUD for applier clothes. For makeup, I open the makeup folder where I save my best makeup sets. (In body parts)

What I do then, is adding the outfit, click the HUD to apply clothing over the body, then "do my makeup" if I want a different makeup from the one my head had.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, Coby Foden said:

Maybe not a big tragedy after all. Those old things had texture size of 512 x 512 pixels. BoM will accept texture size of 1024 x 1024 pixels.
There is a big difference how much better and clearer the bigger textures will look compared to the old smaller ones.

If you're not thinking about how big it will come out as screen pixels you maybe should. A pair of classic pants put about 1 meter against the height of the texture, and my whole screen is 1080 pixels high So you would have to be zooming in pretty close on somebody's pants before the difference between a 512 and a 1024 mattered.

Maybe you have some expensive hardware, more screen pixels, and your UV mapping could make that 1024 into effectively four 512 textures, but if you're not thinking about that, you're a lousy creator

I was checking up something, and there is a test Omega Applier for Bakes on Mesh. A possible problem is that Omega Appliers use the texture UUID, and access to that is limited as a barrier to content theft. I have a couple of mesh bodies that can use Omega appliers, they have classic-compatible mapping on a distinct cloth layer, and I have made a couple of basic Omega Appliers for classic clothing.

One thing I have found: an Omega option to clear the clothing is very useful. I have seen a few that have that built in, but there are standalone appliers just for that.

Bakes on Mesh could pay off, only needing one clothing-mesh layer, cutting avatar complexity. I have one mesh body that I can usually keep under 20k complexity, with clothes. I regularly see people running avatars with over ten times that.  Some I have seen were over 450k complexity

The lack of info in the Marketplace isn't helping

15 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

If you're not thinking about how big it will come out as screen pixels you maybe should. A pair of classic pants put about 1 meter against the height of the texture, and my whole screen is 1080 pixels high So you would have to be zooming in pretty close on somebody's pants before the difference between a 512 and a 1024 mattered.

Maybe you have some expensive hardware, more screen pixels, and your UV mapping could make that 1024 into effectively four 512 textures, but if you're not thinking about that, you're a lousy creator

Ok, good luck in trying to sell skins (for example) for mesh bodies with 512 x 512 texture size.

PS. I don't have very expensive hardware. With my 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor I can see big difference between 512 x 512 and 1024 x 1024 textures on avatar wearables (skins, clothes, tattoos, etc.) It really does matter. Even BoM will accept 1024 x 1024 textures. Which is good.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.