Animesh in Firestorm - how soon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Is that what you see using the official viewer?

2 hours ago, Mileia Dubrovna said:

No. This is what I see using the latest Firestorm Beta update and the monkey is some animesh model I am still working on

Though the official viewer (if on current version) should show you something similar (if not pretty much the same).

I crashed only twice with the "unstable" beta viewer so far - and that was when I teleported out of a busy advents calender and the "Shop until the framerate drops" event...

Both wer superbusy sims so I don't blame beta.

Edited by Fionalein

11 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Though the official viewer (if on current version) should show you something similar (if not pretty much the same).

I crashed only twice with the "unstable" beta viewer so far - and that was when I teleported out of a busy advents calender and the "Shop until the framerate drops" event...

Both wer superbusy sims so I don't blame beta.

I haven´t crashed at all in neither of both and tested several times at my sim. Even had  three of the monkeys rezzed right next to the dance floor at a party this afternoon to check if that somehow would affect performance and noone crashed nor felt it laggy but as I have a full region that could have had something to be so just in case went to visit all animesh sandoxes and rezzed them in there. The first one was full of animesh samples rezzed and also some avatars in there and it was a sort of laggy but not enough to bother and still my monkeys worked ok too. The other animesh sandboxes were more quiet and all went well.

I cannot say animesh has ever made me crash at all ( so far).

Firestorm 6.0.1.56538 Beta Release Notes. For those wanting to know what else is in it.

Personally, Public Beta or not I'll wait for the proper release. It would be nice though if instead of placing it as the "current version" on their download page (and apparently back end) they simply stuck it where they put the older releases and "other" downloads.

You know, so those users waiting on the main line release aren't poked each and every single time they start up Firestorm to update ...

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Firestorm 6.0.1.56538 Beta Release Notes. For those wanting to know what else is in it.

Personally, Public Beta or not I'll wait for the proper release. It would be nice though if instead of placing it as the "current version" on their download page (and apparently back end) they simply stuck it where they put the older releases and "other" downloads.

You know, so those users waiting on the main line release aren't poked each and every single time they start up Firestorm to update ...

It does look careless. There are a few other things, like not having a distinct folder for settings and cache. I can be a pit picky sometimes, but there doesn't seem to be an easy escape.

It's a BETA version, dammit!

I'm happy to use it, but the Firestorm mob are doing a good impression of two short planks on some things. I use Linux, I tell them that, and they still want to know if I can replicate the problem on the "official" viewer.

The Linux version of the Linden Lab viewer is over a year old. I'm not sure it can even be called "official" any more, but just from the dates, there much be a lot of things that just can't be replicated, and that fact blows a hole in the procedures they want us to follow.

Like I said, I'm a Linux user, and the tendency to suggest Windows-specific solutions gets a bit tedious. I have libraries, supplied with my operating system, which do things that Second Life viewers have problems with, because somebody says they can't supply the library with the viewer.

It makes me wonder how so many other programs make use of the libraries without any apparent problems.

Well, I have not seen any problems with the Linux version. I am not worried by it. But I make back-ups regularly. I've had to roll-back from new versions of programs until some bug is fixed, but I have the tools to manage that. The Firestorm team, and maybe Linden Lab too, seem to make some damnably dangerous choices. Call me paranoid, if you wish, but is that really so crazy?

@arabellajones: I'm on Linux myself (shared computer) and because it is kept up to date with each new Kernel release (so long as nothing breaks, a rarity) as well as with each newer version of Xubuntu (again, as long as nothing breaks) ... Well as I stated in another thread I've only just gotten Voice working again. Part of this had to do with one of the needed i386 libraries only being installable through the bloody terminal.

Prior to someone figuring out the more comprehensive list of libraries, the general "advice" given was to run Voice through WINE.

Seeing as there really isn't an "official" Linden Lab client for Linux anymore (sorry FS devs reading this - even the download page lists that as obsolete) the only thing I can think of is that some expect you to try to run it through WINE or that you magically have access to another machine that is running either Windows or MacOS/OSX ...

The former should not even be a thought on their minds - ever. The latter isn't very likely - not for everyone.

ETA: mind, I like Firestorm and understand well that when offering support - especially volunteer support - there are certain things they have to rule out, on top of not being obligated to actually answer.

Edited by Solar Legion

It's been in Firestorm for a little bit now - on their Closed Beta branch. All they've done is selected the most stable of their Beta releases to make it Public so that those who've been hounding them can download it.

Bug and other fixes aside, I can wait for the mainline release. I wish more were as patient.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:20 PM, Solar Legion said:

@arabellajones: I'm on Linux myself (shared computer) and because it is kept up to date with each new Kernel release (so long as nothing breaks, a rarity) as well as with each newer version of Xubuntu (again, as long as nothing breaks) ... Well as I stated in another thread I've only just gotten Voice working again. Part of this had to do with one of the needed i386 libraries only being installable through the bloody terminal.

Hello, on what distro do you use the viewer ? i tried Firestorm on Linux Mint and have a bad echo on voice ...

6 minutes ago, calebbhaas said:

Hello, on what distro do you use the viewer ? i tried Firestorm on Linux Mint and have a bad echo on voice ...

Ubuntu here... so basically the same base tech as Mint (which is actually a Ubuntu derivate) echo on voice sounds more like a hardware setup or bandwidth problem than a OS/Audio drivers problem.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Ubuntu here... so basically the same base tech as Mint (which is actually a Ubuntu derivate) echo on voice sounds more like a hardware setup or bandwidth problem than a OS/Audio drivers problem.

Hello Fionalein, i think it's a viewer issue because Skype works perfect to me

On 12/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Solar Legion said:

Seeing as there really isn't an "official" Linden Lab client for Linux anymore (sorry FS devs reading this - even the download page lists that as obsolete) the only thing I can think of is that some expect you to try to run it through WINE or that you magically have access to another machine that is running either Windows or MacOS/OSX ...

The former should not even be a thought on their minds - ever. The latter isn't very likely - not for everyone.

Correct. This was not an appropriate troubleshooting step in this instance. It will be reviewed with team members along with other post-release matters. Thanks!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.