Animesh in Firestorm - how soon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

the other assumings lines are based on nothing, and Firestorm has no duty at all to give out more information than they do. The viewer will come when it's ready.

If you'r so desperate about animesh, use the LL viewer till there's a Firestorm release. Realise there are at least as many that aren't waiting on those possible lagmonsters.

Wow that is quite a charming and polite answer. I hope you do not work at the Customers Loyalty area in Firestorm . There is of course a reason why I am asking about Firestorm´s updated  in this Forum. It is...well...maybe you should check on the original tittle of this  thread: "Animesh in Firestorm - how soon?" but also cause the Official SL viewer doesn´t include RLV and I create RLV stuff so your sarcarm about me being desperate was totally unnecesary. Still I appreciate the time you dedicated to answer me even when what you said was already stated in my original question :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

There will be a public Firestorm Animesh beta released before the Christmas no change window, so "real soon now".

LOL, NOW you say that - after I said "Forget about animesh" and bought my alt a horse avatar to get a mount. :D Still looking forward to it.

15 hours ago, Mileia Dubrovna said:

Wow that is quite a charming and polite answer.

if you kept it to your first two lines it would have been great, but you added a few of unfounded own assumptions. So at public forums there is a chance you get a reply on that.

Politeness isn't one of my strong points, but thats also not required to give information : one to the point and no blah blah post is as clear as ten pages of pampering.

4 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

"if you kept it to your first two lines it would have been great, but you added a few of unfounded own assumptions. So at public forums there is a chance you get a reply on that."

Politeness isn't one of my strong points, but thats also not required to give information : one to the point and no blah blah post is as clear as ten pages of pampering.

Those assumptions were clearly stated as such when I said " I assume" in my original post.

So you say I have to accept that you are not polite on your answers cause "Politeness isn't one of my strong points" but you cannot accept me assuming things on my posts and need to be rude and call me desperate? Interesting . I think from now on I will just follow Whirly Fizzle , who actually brought good news and answered my question and I will start ignoring your posts. Have a nice day...or not...whatever-

• Haha 1

Firestorm with Animesh was released to our beta group about a week ago and we've fixed a few niggles that were reported, no major issues. That means we are moving closer, we would like to get it into the hands of those who want to explore the new feature sooner rather than later , which is the "public beta" that @Whirly Fizzle referred to. One thing that people always forget is that Firestorm has a very broad user base and we (try our best to) cater to as wide a range of hardware capability as possible, this means that with major features like Animesh that have required a significant amount of change to the render pipeline of the viewer, there is a lot more nervousness about the impact on different machines. Also, unlike some other viewers (most notably the lab themselves), we try to keep our releases paced to 3 or 4 per year maximum and avoid "hot-fixes"; this means that we like to have had a reasonable range of users in our beta group give the viewer a workout before releasing it to the masses. It is imperative that we try to find a balance between letting those who want and need access to the latest viewer get it, and making sure that it doesn't fall apart in their hands when they do. We appreciate that the excitement and anticipation is building all the time but we hope most would agree that making sure we haven't broken your present before we wrap it up and post it is a sensible precaution.

As for the overhead of the "possible lagmonsters", I was quite pessimistic at the outset of the Animesh project, having not so long ago extended the skeleton for Bento we were now going to significantly increase the number of those same skeletons running around. However, I have been surprised and very pleased with the results. The TPV devs (see other threads and Jiras for examples) have flagged up performance concerns and either pro-actively addressed them ourselves or merged in upstream fixes from the lab. In my tests the overhead of a free-roaming animated object is not that much more than a single item of rigged mesh clothing. The complexity cap on animated objects puts a cap on how crazy people can go with the polycount and so I am reasonably confident that for the most part, Animesh should be a worthwhile addition that doesn't overly burden people. (In practice if you were to visit a scene with 30 avatars all wearing an attached Animesh, you would most likely save more performance by derendering a single poly heavy onion skin "real" avatar than you would by removing all the Animeshes. A conjecture that until we see this out in the wild I won't be able to prove or disprove though 😉

One note of warning, Animesh is not backwards compatible. If you have recently met an avatar that appears to have been cleaved in half with their head too close to their nether regions, chances are that they are carrying an Animesh object. If you remember how it was with Bento, those choosing (for whatever reasons) to adopt later will need to balance this with having to deal with deformed friends.

Edited by Beq Janus
minor edit to "sooner rather than later"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you very much Beq for your very informative and detailed post. This is what some like me where hoping to read and It let us know the stage FS is about Animesh and also what to expect from this. I really appreciate it very much and will be waiting for this new update and all the possivilities it brings to my new projects :).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

One thing that people always forget is that Firestorm has a very broad user base and we (try our best to) cater to as wide a range of hardware capability as possible, this means that with major features like Animesh that have required a significant amount of change to the render pipeline of the viewer, there is a lot more nervousness about the impact on different machines.

Beq, a super-duper mega thanks for your work in merging and more, debugging this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mileia Dubrovna said:

Thank you very much Beq for your very informative and detailed post. This is what some like me where hoping to read and It let us know the stage FS is about Animesh and also what to expect from this. I really appreciate it very much and will be waiting for this new update and all the possivilities it brings to my new projects :).

Breaking news: I just finished the final Windows builds - now back to sports!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Beq, a super-duper mega thanks for your work in merging and more, debugging this. 

Ansa is the Mistress of Merges, and purveyor of Patches,  she has the more pervasive view of the viewer and how it hangs together. I was happy to be able to focus on the tweaking and tuning bits and other areas. And as Ansa says, she has just finished the official Windows builds, Tonya will produce the Mac and Linux builds and then it leaves the development team and heads into the able hands of QA and Support. Or in other words.....Coming to a machine near you (real) soon.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, Beq Janus said:

Ansa is the Mistress of Merges, and purveyor of Patches,  she has the more pervasive view of the viewer and how it hangs together. I was happy to be able to focus on the tweaking and tuning bits and other areas. And as Ansa says, she has just finished the official Windows builds, Tonya will produce the Mac and Linux builds and then it leaves the development team and heads into the able hands of QA and Support. Or in other words.....Coming to a machine near you (real) soon.

Then thanks to Ansariel too! And everyone else. I am now happily on the 6.0.1 beta and after dabbling in animesh this morning, mostly enjoying the mesh upload improvements in it too, as I do my normal routine of looking for that one loose vertex which is breaking physics!

MAV Errors Be Darned!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Do you have temporary mesh rezzers rez something in between the time you selected the object and checked Animesh Mesh?

I can't repro yet.

Ooo surfable waves :D You are pawsome Lucia! Thanks.

Checking in another region I can't repro. Turning off the waves, I can't repro.

I haz the derps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, one of them said it and they might have been joking, but it was a highlight of the Town Hall for me :D

I can't remember much of what else was said.

YAY!    We Got a Pony!    

https://gyazo.com/e627a0bc37f1e702bb46349f2f8f01bb

Sure it is a little Skinny and looks like all the hair fell off and it needs its nails trimmed and the jaws are kinda big,  but ...  PONY!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

YAY!    We Got a Pony!    

Sure it is a little Skinny and looks like all the hair fell off and it needs its nails trimmed and the jaws are kinda big,  but ...  PONY!   

Task a Linden with gifting a pony and  you get a protobird instead...

PS: come on moles we already have the pet horses Eadger and Eirwin for the bento avatars... doing a pony* using them and the animations already existing for them should be easy ... Give me editable versions and I bet I can do it myself ;)

*remember: a pony isn't a foal, it is just a small horse... those two IMHO both qualify as ponies already.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

YAY!    We Got a Pony!    

Me too!!! Mine seems to like bananas tho...

https://gyazo.com/9ef4a9202ed0b59d32cd9706595c8dfb

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.