Animesh in Firestorm - how soon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is the information on the last version of the Linden Lab "Official" client presently treated by the Downloads section as the "current" version for Windows and Mac.

This - while listed in the wiki as the latest version of the "Official" client's "Release" branch - still states that Animesh is in Beta and presently only works in some regions on Aditi, the Beta Grid.

It has been a long time since the Firestorm developers have released a build that did not incorporate things usable on Agni - the main grid.

You want Animesh in Firestorm? Wait for it to hit Agni properly first, then a bit for some of the bugs to be ironed out. Want to play with it sooner? Track down a Beta build of Firestorm and hope it is included.

Until it gets on Agni for a while, the Lab may still need to change Animesh enough that it would break anything Firestorm releases. It's a bit chicken-and-egg though because stuff won't get widely exercised until it's in a version of Firestorm with some user adoption. But Animesh may not be ready for that yet anyway.

(My pessimism may reflect my bias against what Animesh became. I was hoping for simple mesh deformation, but it became this whole complicated, high-impact thing that I can't imagine ever using myself, and I desperately want to avoid the mostly terrifying proto-NPCs it seems designed to strew around the grid.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

This - while listed in the wiki as the latest version of the "Official" client's "Release" branch - still states that Animesh is in Beta and presently only works in some regions on Aditi, the Beta Grid.

That was a bug in the Release Notes - sorry; simulator animesh support is live everywhere on agni, and the Animesh viewer has reached Release Candidate status. This means that it's believed to be at least very close to its final form. We're monitoring how the Release Candidate viewer behaves in production use... so by all means use it.

As for Firestorm... you'll have to ask them.

• Thanks 3

Honestly Oz, from where I sit the mistake is rather irrelevant. 

The last new feature releases (truly new mind you) took a few months to get far enough along the main grid that it didn't matter too much in the end how quickly third party clients released an update. 

Though thank you for publicly issuing the data correction. 

Release Candidates are really little more than glorified Beta releases - they're more polished yes but they're not being pushed as the mainline download yet. 

Either way the point stands: It's not a finished feature yet.

• 1 month later...

And? Has Animesh exited its final beta phase yet? If not - guess what? No reason for TPVs to put it in a main release client/viewer.

None.

ETA: And unless someone forgot to update the wiki again, Version 6.0.0 (518949) is still the current version. That means it's still not a proper released feature.

Edited by Solar Legion

5 hours ago, Haselden said:

Well here we are. October has come, yet still not released for firestorm.

FS can't do it until LL have done it.

While they might have another bug as well, LL still have a bug with FPS dropping to solve, it looks like this bug is around the bounding box code if it's what is hinted at in another section. When that is solved then LL will make it RC and FS can start to plan their merge timetable.

Can't make an omlette until the tharlarion lays an egg.

As you are GE Haselden, one thing to be aware of might be this picture of what might be the new avatar bounding box as a result of Animesh. Can't say for sure yet....

3ddcb5db6ef30417c68ef8f5a1f3a016.png.89b092e651cd414109e6cf3c609c64cb.png

Certainly I'm not sure how that will affect your GE hitbox displays.

Edited by Callum Meriman

...and then everyone starts whining about lag if the amounts of animated avatars multiply (not talking about the bounding box issue) and the CPU is at their limit while the GPU with their tons of shaders that could do the calculations sits there and idles...

But yeah, animesh will be a hit - a performance hit!

On 10/8/2018 at 2:39 AM, Callum Meriman said:

While they might have another bug as well, LL still have a bug with FPS dropping to solve, it looks like this bug is around the bounding box code if it's what is hinted at in another section. When that is solved then LL will make it RC and FS can start to plan their merge timetable.

Can't make an omlette until the tharlarion lays an egg.

As you are GE Haselden, one thing to be aware of might be this picture of what might be the new avatar bounding box as a result of Animesh. Can't say for sure yet....

3ddcb5db6ef30417c68ef8f5a1f3a016.png.89b092e651cd414109e6cf3c609c64cb.png

Certainly I'm not sure how that will affect your GE hitbox displays.

Ah, thats one nasty glitch haha. It's doing that when you turn on hitboxes?

On 10/8/2018 at 12:39 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Ummmm.... sort of can.

The basic agreement is all viewers need to show the same "SHARED" experience. That is a bit hard to get one's head around, but my being able to set my WL to night while yours is set to day time isn't a breach of that concept, which should give you a sense of it. Plus, a third-party's experimental viewer can have stuff the Lab hasn't put into project or RC. The experimental version gives everyone a reference point for development.

On a practical basis, the Lab suggests Third-parties wait until things hit RC stage before investing significant amounts of time in a feature the Lab is developing. The Lab has been known to drastically change their mind on how some things will be done. Which forces people to do a lot of revisions if they haven't waited. The Lab does get code out to open source dev pre-project... sometimes. 

Some third-party viewer dev's run way ahead on some features. Black Dragon for instance and its poser. Emerald-Phoenix-Firestorm on occasion runs ahead, bit not so much any more. An example is FS Windlight. That has been around a couple of years or more and EEP is just adding some of those features to the Linden system.

I haven't looked at the FS beta currently in testing. My understanding is the version has animesh. The team has said they want to release a new version with animesh when the Lab 'officially' releases animesh. So, however it works, they will be releasing animesh about the same time as the Lab.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

all quotes

This is the latest build of the Animesh release viewer. 6.0.0 (520636)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.0.0.520636

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/rev/384fbecbf832

kinda sounds like it was added already two days ago?

Only on SL viewer and only for Mac and Windows... Linux users will have to wait for TPVs or until the Lab releases the debian packages they were planning to replace the Linux viewer with... I put my bet on TPVs here :D 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, iceing Braveheart said:

all quotes

This is the latest build of the Animesh release viewer. 6.0.0 (520636)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/6.0.0.520636

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/rev/384fbecbf832

kinda sounds like it was added already two days ago?

But when will it actually be public? 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...so...Animesh was finally released in the SL Official viewer more than a week ago...and when asking in the FS Support team group about when will FS release  an animesh update the only answer I get is " The will release it when it is ready"...

I understand Firestorm hesitating about releasing an update including Animesh due the many bugs reported on Animesh or maybe they are waiting for SL to release the "Bakes on mesh" Project also so FS will release both in one update. Or maybe I am totally wrong and Firestorm doesn´t  plan on release any updates including Animesh at all. As you see I am just guessing here but this is what people do when not getting enough information, so...at least some would be very much appreciated so those of us working on Animesh know if we should put our projects in the freezer and focus on something else or not.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mileia Dubrovna said:

the only answer I get is " The will release it when it is ready"...

I am just guessing here but this is what people do when not getting enough information,

and that first is the only and right answer, we seen many broken viewers and features from others in the past, a test release and try out before releasing is the right thing to do.

the other assumings lines are based on nothing, and Firestorm has no duty at all to give out more information than they do. The viewer will come when it's ready.

If you'r so desperate about animesh, use the LL viewer till there's a Firestorm release. Realise there are at least as many that aren't waiting on those possible lagmonsters.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.