Problem with avatars

teedy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

Is it only worn rigged mesh that's invisible?

In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life.
Click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

If only worn rigged mesh is invisible then it's likely you are running using integrated Intel graphics & the graphics driver is very out of date.

23 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Look at the background...

Unrezzed textures all over, adboards on the wall to the right, grey, some multi plane decor items in the background, grey instead of what ever alpha blend texture they are supposed to have. Some pieces of rigged mesh are rezzing in the foreground, but apparently very slowly.

Looks like a content delivery failure, so, either bad connection, or problems with the local CDN servers maybe. Or it could be "Draw Distance Too Damn High", and outside the club, theres bits of a 4 sim radius sphere trying to rez as well... 

On 27 August 2018 at 8:07 PM, teedy said:

I cleaned the cache, changed the viewer, installed the drivers, changed the video settings, I've tried everything.

Clearing cache certainly won't help as it just means reloading what little has actually loaded. Try rebooting your router, running ping tests to SL servers, and to the local CDN for your area.

• Like 1

@teedy As pointed out, this is one of those cases where a cache clear most likely will make things worse. Only do a cache clear when you KNOW it is something caused by a corrupted cache. Which these days is VERY rare.

Whirly is pointing you to a problem common to those using the Intel built-in HD Graphics. The Firestorm people have a fix for this on the Firestorm Viewer. 

If it isn't that, then Klytyna is likely right from placing more weight on the overall lack of texture renders as an indication you have a connection issue. The quick check of connection is to open the Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1). Look at PING and Lost Packets. These should be <250ms and <1%. If not, there is a connection issue. While you can connect with worse numbers, you'll see problems like you are seeing.

To understand and use the numbers in the Viewer Stats panel to troubleshoot see: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Avoid thinking because you have a great connection to other games and sites that you have a good connection to the SL servers. Actually test that connection.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life.
Click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

If only worn rigged mesh is invisible then it's likely you are running using integrated Intel graphics & the graphics driver is very out of date. 

Second Life Release 6.0.0.518949 (64bit) 
Notas de versão

Você está em 232,8, 121,8, 22,1 em Ilha Brasil SP localizado em sim9083.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.42.19:13011)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ilha Brasil SP/233/122/22
(coordenadas globais 249.065,0, 331.898,0, 22,1)
Second Life Server 18.08.10.518612
Notas de versão

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (3092.83 MHz)
Memória: 8098 MBs
Versão OS: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Placa de vídeo: NVIDIA Corporation
Placa gráfica: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Versão do driver de vídeo Windows: NVIDIA Corporation
Versão do OpenGL: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.07

Tamanho da janela: 1920x1017
Ajuste do tamanho de fonte: 96pt
Escala de interface: 1.275
Dist. máxima: 128m
Largura de banda: 10000kbit/s
Fator LOD: 1.125
Qualidade de renderização: 1 / 7
Modelo de iluminação avançado: Disabled
Memória de textura: 512MB
Tempo de criação de VFS (cache): agosto 24 2018 22:39:20

Versão do J2C Decoder: KDU v7.10.4 
Versão do driver de áudio: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146 
Versão do LibVLC: 2.2.8 
Versão do servidor de voz: Vivox 4.9.0002.30313

Packets Lost: 34/41.167 (0,1%)
agosto 28 2018 19:17:05

11 hours ago, teedy said:

Second Life Release 6.0.0.518949 (64bit) 
Notas de versão

Você está em 232,8, 121,8, 22,1 em Ilha Brasil SP localizado em sim9083.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.42.19:13011)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ilha Brasil SP/233/122/22
(coordenadas globais 249.065,0, 331.898,0, 22,1)
Second Life Server 18.08.10.518612
Notas de versão

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (3092.83 MHz)
Memória: 8098 MBs
Versão OS: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Placa de vídeo: NVIDIA Corporation
Placa gráfica: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Versão do driver de vídeo Windows: NVIDIA Corporation
Versão do OpenGL: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.07

That eliminates Whirly's suspicion it is in the video driver/card.

The next two easy troubleshooting steps; try a different viewer and a different account. These steps will eliminate several possibilities. Tell us the results.

The majority of users run the Firestorm Viewer. But, there are a half dozen or so viewers you can choose from. See: Third Party Viewer Directory

Having a second viewer installed is a basic troubleshooting step. Keeping it installed makes testing much faster. Using the second viewer eliminates whether it is a viewer issue,  settings problem, or a cache issue.

Having what we call and 'Alt' is an alternate account-avatar. Just open a second account. It is ToS legal. This reveals most problems that are on the SL side of things.

These are the less technical steps that provide information about where the problem may be.

BUT... what you are seeing is almost always a connection issue. Your Packet Loss at 0.1% isn't that bad but it isn't great. You didn't tell us your PING time... if you want to quickly eliminate connection issues run through the Troubleshooting Your Connection to SL article I liked to above. If you need more help, tell us the results of the various tests.

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

That eliminates Whirly's suspicion it is in the video driver/card.

The next two easy troubleshooting steps; try a different viewer and a different account. These steps will eliminate several possibilities. Tell us the results.

The majority of users run the Firestorm Viewer. But, there are a half dozen or so viewers you can choose from. See: Third Party Viewer Directory

Having a second viewer installed is a basic troubleshooting step. Keeping it installed makes testing much faster. Using the second viewer eliminates whether it is a viewer issue,  settings problem, or a cache issue.

Having what we call and 'Alt' is an alternate account-avatar. Just open a second account. It is ToS legal. This reveals most problems that are on the SL side of things.

These are the less technical steps that provide information about where the problem may be.

BUT... what you are seeing is almost always a connection issue. Your Packet Loss at 0.1% isn't that bad but it isn't great. You didn't tell us your PING time... if you want to quickly eliminate connection issues run through the Troubleshooting Your Connection to SL article I liked to above. If you need more help, tell us the results of the various tests.

I already used another account with another viewer and the same problem happened, I took this print, see what you think?

fy.png

That's exactly what we were hoping that you would show us.  The Ping Sim number that is showing in that screen shot (455 msec) is gigantic. It is taking a signal almost a half second to travel between your computer and the SL servers in San Francisco.  Because SL depends on keeping its servers and your viewer in sync all the time, that much of a delay is near-fatal.  In fact, if ping time is much beyond 150 msec, you should expect to be seeing lag, rubber-banding at region boundaries, teleport problems, and difficulty getting textures and assets to rez.  With a ping time as large as yours, I would expect frequent surprise disconnects.  By comparison, my own ping time here in North America is generally around 75 msec.

A large part of the problem is certainly due to how far you are from San Francisco.  You cannot do anything about that.  However, if you are using a satellite Internet connection, the problem will be much worse.  It can also be worse if your ISP is routing signals through slow Internet nodes on the path to the SL servers.  You might be able to convince your ISP to do something about that, but you will need to give them some evidence.  Use the information in the link that Nalates gave you and perform some tests to find out where your signal is being slowed down.

It seems that the problem was the incompatibility with my video card, I changed the viewer, I'm using Alchemy and improved significantly, a 60% better has lag still but I think this is part of the game, after so much time has not improved. Thanks to all who helped answer this post! ;) ?

On 8/30/2018 at 5:29 AM, Rolig Loon said:

In fact, if ping time is much beyond 150 msec, you should expect to be seeing lag, rubber-banding at region boundaries, teleport problems, and difficulty getting textures and assets to rez.  

Probaby need to adjust that number up quite a bit. Pings from Australia to a region are in the order of 220-300ms - because light has a finite speed, there are a sizable number of us Aussies. Pings from Europe to a region are 180-220ms and EU citizens make up a huge proportion of active logins.

And of course, the ping to a busy region will always be higher than an empty region. We see 40 agents and children in that region, so the 455 number isn't bad at all.

Edited by Callum Meriman

24 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Probaby need to adjust that number up quite a bit. Pings from Australia to a region are in the order of 220-300ms - because light has a finite speed, there are a sizable number of us Aussies. Pings from Europe to a region are 180-220ms and EU citizens make up a huge proportion of active logins.

Yes, indeed, and many of my Aussie friends complain constantly about their long ping times and the fact that they are always dealing with rubber banding, excessive lag, and the rest.  Likewise, I have friends in Europe with ping times in the range of 150 to 250 msec who have chronic issues.  Ping time is primarily a function of how far a signal has to travel between end points, so a signal that has to travel halfway around the world or to a satellite in orbit has to take longer than one that travels from Boston to San Francisco.  Ping time can be further increased by sluggish nodes along the path, including those right at home and those at the SL servers.  We all deal with those issues on top of the distance factor, which we can't do much about.

17 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

And of course, the ping to a busy region will always be higher than an empty region. We see 40 agents and children in that region, so the 455 number isn't bad at all.

The viewer's ping is not the 'REAL' ping time. That number is a composite of viewer, network, and server response time. So, the ping methods in my troubleshooter are important to consider.

Using ping from the Windows command line at the same time you check the viewer's ping number gives very different results.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.