Sign in to follow this  
BlixaKarita

Being Left in RL for SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I guess it was at least 10 years ago now.  A club that I use to DJ at had two owners, male and female.  The female owner of the club left her RL husband, left Australia, moved to Hawaii to be with her SL partner.  It was pretty messed up.  Then they didn't get along together in RL and she was left on her own.  Her husband wouldn't take her back.  In which if I was him, I wouldn't take her back also.

How I got introduced to SL was by watching a documentary on Netflix called "Life 2.0."  The very interesting film followed the exploits of several SL players, two of whom were a couple who met on SL.  I recall that the woman of the couple was married in RL, and left her RL husband for her SL partner.  I believe her SL partner was also married in RL, and left his RL wife too...though I'm not 100% sure about that part.  They moved in together...I believe the woman even relocated to another state to do so despite leaving her children behind.  Just like the female DJ in Kayla Whittaker's post above, the couple featured in "Life 2.0" did not get along together in RL, and split up.  They had both ruined their families for nothing.

So, I'm sure it happens all the time.  Hell...when Facebook came out, my uncle said "That's going to ruin a lot of marriages."  Relationships are a fragile thing.  And in today's world of treating everything like it's disposable (including people) and instant gratification, its very easy to just drop a long-time relationship or spouse because the "glitter" has worn off just to relive that "new relationship" excitement.  SL definitely provides that "new relationship" excitement.  But the real world consequences of such short-term thinking can be disastrous and painful.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RuchiVee said:

fragile thing.  And in today's world of treating everything like it's disposable (including people) and instant gratification, its very easy to just drop a long-time relationship or spouse because the "glitter" has worn off just to relive that "new relationship" excitement.  SL definitely provides that "new relationship" excitement.  But the real world consequences of such short-term thinking can be disastrous and painful.

I remember seeing that show when it first came out.

These are some pretty good points. The thing that gives me the reason to scratch my head is how so many people are literally in SL for the specific and intentional reason to initiate a RL relationship. 

Many say "SL and RL will remain separate, others say "SL and RL cannot remain separate. I'm in the former camp and include the latter statement with the caveat: Yes, SL and RL cannot be separated about feelings, but the rest - such as information, etc. - can easily remain separate.

This is likely the very reason I shall probably (sad-face here) remain single for my foreseeable SL future: I keep my SL and RL separate.

Everyone has their reasons. As for me: (Among other things) there is being RL-stalked by someone from SL once (Forking Google Earth and Maps - and why I despise anything and everything Google - just don't get me started). So all you men out there looking for a relationship: requiring any merging of RL and SL (which so many of you seem to do) - it's a dealbreaker for me and likely many other ladies. And ladies: if you're looking for that RL/SL mix-up, then say so in your profile so the men looking for the same can find you easily. ~snickers~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.