Vella Catronis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So about 7:33 I got on SL, I found myself to be a cloud and not rendering fully. I changed avatars ((via replace outifit)) it did not swap but rather add the prims and the other attachable stuff with my supposed current ones. Now it is currently 8/26/2018 so I am wondering if this happened in the past and if there is an easy fix. If not then please tell me what it might be, sl grid status isn't showing anything.

20 answers to this question

1) Does replace outfit work correctly on a different region?

2) if you have an alt, can you change outfits on the alt without any problems?

If this problem happens on any region and does not happen on an alt account - it could be a problem with your inventory.

3) Just to be super duper sure this isn't just a case of a missing body part (skin,shape,  system hair, eyes), while logged in on the affected account, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Avatar (on Firestorm)/Me (on the LL viewer) -> Choose an Avatar.
Select any of these starter avatars.
This will replace outfit.
Does your avatar rez & are only the correct attachments worn?

4) Seeing as you already tried several different viewers, this isn't a cache issue.
It's really pretty rare but if viewer-side cache is borked in a special snowflake way, this can mess up the "COF version" which can cause this kind of issue.
Anyway, you pretty much ruled that out by testing different viewers which use different local caches.

5) If nothing above fixed it, can you open your inventory and expand the "Current Outfit" folder.
Make sure the inventory window is big enough to show everything in the Current Outfit folder & wide enough to show any errors after the worn item names.
Take a screenshot showing the contents of the Current Outfit folder & post it here.

6) Also, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar of the viewer with CTRL+ALT+D.
Advanced -> Show Debug Settings
Set the debug setting DebugAvatarAppearanceMessage to TRUE.
You will now see flaoting text above your avatar head.
Take a screenshot of your avatar which includes this floating text and post it here.
This is to show the COF versions - local, requested & received.
Each time you make a change to what your avatar wears, the COF (Current outfit folder) version increments.
Sometimes the COF versions between viewer & server can get out of sync & cause problems like you are seeing.
This information will show if this is the case.
Set DebugAvatarAppearanceMessage back to FALSE once you have done this.

7) Next - search your inventory for the words Current Outfit
Do you have more then one folder in your inventory called Current Outfit?
Also search your inventory for Current Look
Do you have any folder in your inventory called Current Look & if so, what is inside it?
This is to test if you have more then one Current Outfit folder that is behaving as the system folder - this can also cause the problems you describe.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 2

Connection problem.  First, try turning off and unplugging your internet modem/router.  Wait two or three minutes.  Plug it back in, turn it on, and reboot.

If you use wifi to connect your computer to your home network, try using an ethernet cable instead.

If those don't help, see this article for more things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

21 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Funny thing is Firestorm are all being used. I'm testing other alternative bento enabled viewers.

if you have issues always use also the official viewer. Hinting that's it's FS fault is just showing you don't know what you'r talking about. It's the major used viewer on SL so if there would be problems it would be noticed in a more general way, and not only your "select few" .

23 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

cannot be connections.

you come ask for help, you get help .. and first you say it's wrong help.... perhaps try it first and read the tips as given in the link.
If that doesn't help please come back and tell what happened and additional info like system specs and if you tried to rebuild your inventory.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Well everyone is rendering properly and roaming around, so cannot be connections. I also found out a select few are having trouble as well. Funny thing is Firestorm are all being used. I'm testing other alternative bento enabled viewers.

No... it can be your connection. If everyone else looks OK and you don't, then suspect a problem in the upload/sending channels. Do, others see you OK?

The avatar not rendering is is called bake fail. The common types of bake fail are covered here: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/08/23/second-lifes-new-bake-fail/

The bake fail specific to inventory issues is here: https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

=======================

I have no idea why the forum keeps inserting this image from another of my 'unrelated' posts...

image.png

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

Strange as everything seems fine and showing no signs of internet trouble on other games and the like. ONLY secondlife no matter the viewer is being troublesome. @Ethan Paslong I did ask for help and I would appreciate you tone down the snides and hostilities if your quotes are using them. I am merely saying that if the modem/router IS the problem then why doesn't it affect my mmo's or my steam games? @Nalates Urriah Yes they do, and I'm always wearing attachments of two avatars ((due to me trying to swap avatars from two different folders))

Edited by Vella Catronis

8 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Strange as everything seems fine and showing no signs of internet trouble on other games and the like ........then why doesn't it affect my mmo's or my steam games?

because sl doesn't work as those other games, everything of SL is on the external servers, at your maching you only have "links" and "pointers" tot the SL stuff. Other MMO's have a lot of content downloaded on your machine, so don't have to get it from the external sources.

Next to that, (i hope the girls from the mesh optimisation topic don't read this from me) , all content on SL is putting heavy loads on your machine because it's not optimized material.. lot of badly made mesh, high resolution textures.. and so on

12 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

@Ethan Paslong ...I would appreciate you tone down the snides and hostilities

just for the record, your attitude is rejecting help and you blame me to say that?...

14 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

. I am merely saying that if the modem/router IS the problem then why doesn't it affect my mmo's or my steam games?

see above

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Strange as everything seems fine and showing no signs of internet trouble on other games and the like.

Oh, that's not strange at all.  Those MMOs are quite simple.  They send you a complete, unchanging set of game files that are mostly handled right on your own computer.  SL is not like that.  It relies on passing information back and forth between your computer and the SL servers continually.  The environment is changing rapidly, so if you and the servers are out of sync for more than about 0.2 seconds, you get serious lag, rendering issues, teleport problems, and a high probability of disconnecting.  The reason that bail fail is commonly associated with a connection problem is that your inventory  (and a number of other things) are downloaded from the SL servers on log-in.  If the processes is delayed or interrupted, you can be partly logged in but not have a complete avatar data description. Your viewer defaults to displaying a cloud for your avatar.  That's Bake Fail.

The short version: it doesn't make a particle of difference whether you can play other games, watch videos, and handle a music stream. They don't depend as heavily on a reliable Internet connection as SL does.

• Like 1

Soo was I supposed to reset my router? Cause it is still not working, again I doubt it is anything related to router or modem. If it is I don't know how to fix it. I reset my panoramic router, it's wifi is off and is directly connected to my pc. I restarted my computer. I tried firestorm, singularity, that cat one...even secondlife default viewer. Still not loading and unable to take my attachments off.

Just finished reinstalling second life and still no good.

Edited by Vella Catronis

18 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Soo was I supposed to reset my router? Cause it is still not working, again I doubt it is anything related to router or modem. If it is I don't know how to fix it. I reset my panoramic router, it's wifi is off and is directly connected to my pc. I restarted my computer. I tried firestorm, singularity, that cat one...even secondlife default viewer. Still not loading and unable to take my attachments off.

Have you done EVERYTHING in this article?   https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

If not, then please do so, and do not skip steps.

Afterwards, if there is still a problem, I think Nalates page has a few more items on it:  http://blog.nalates.net/2013/08/23/second-lifes-new-bake-fail/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

29 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

@Rolig Loon That was not rejecting help, that was being doubtful meaning I was skeptical but was willing to try.

Yeah, I thought that was the case, but you did ask to cut/paste what Ethan saw as unwillingness to try.  ;)

Anyway ....

18 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

Still not loading and unable to take my attachments off.

OK.  Resetting those is always the best place to start.  It is often all that's needed, just not in your case.  You are clearly not getting fully logged in, though.  You didn't mention not being able to detach attachments before, but that pretty much nails it as an incomplete login. The fact that it's happening to you with more than one viewer says that it's not the viewer, but you knew that.  There are three places where a connection can go wrong: your end, the SL servers end, or the route between you.  If it were the SL servers, we would be hearing hundreds of people yelling about it by now and there would be a notice on the Grid Status blog, so that's out.  It might be the route between you and the servers (are you far from San Francisco, or using a satellite Internet ISP, maybe?).  That happens, and can be a bear to deal with.  So ... that's why we usually focus on what can possibly go wrong on your end. 

Do as LittleMe suggests and work through all of the steps in that Bake Fail link that we gave you.  Bake Fail can be a tricky problem, so it may take a while.  Also, open your Statistics display (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look specifically at the Ping Sim and Packet Loss numbers near the top.  If either of them is elevated, it can be a clue to a connection issue.

Man, I tried the WHOLE thing in that link. And nothing. It is so strange it became this overnight. Just happened right today and I don't know why. And I fear it is my internet provider's fault. They been trouble ever since they handed me this "panoramic Wifi Router" I only need a modem to directly connect to the internet as I live alone. Ugh....

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

And I fear it is my internet provider's fault. They been trouble ever since they handed me this "panoramic Wifi Router"

Bummer. I did say ..

31 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It might be the route between you and the servers (are you far from San Francisco, or using a satellite Internet ISP, maybe?).  That happens, and can be a bear to deal with. 

You can predict that the ISP will tell you that it's not their fault, so prepare for a conversation with them by doing some connection tests yourself and bringing along the results to share with them.  A couple of the posts above have included the link to Nalates's blog, which tells you how to do the tests.  I'd begin with a tracert analysis to get an idea of what's happening all along the route, even though it's most likely something very close to home.  Also, as I suggested before, check the Statistics display in your viewer to get ping time and packet loss numbers.  If you want to get into the gory details, Nalates is the best one to talk to. ;) 

FWIW, I had a similar issue years ago, and my ISP traced it to corrosion in a coupling in their cable box at the street. 

BTW ---  If this is true,

40 minutes ago, Vella Catronis said:

They been trouble ever since they handed me this "panoramic Wifi Router" I only need a modem to directly connect to the internet as I live alone.

you can try bypassing the router altogether by just plugging your computer directly into the rmodem.  If that clears things up, you'll know that the router is your problem.

23 hours ago, Vella Catronis said:

Strange as everything seems fine and showing no signs of internet trouble on other games and the like. ONLY secondlife no matter the viewer is being troublesome. @Ethan Paslong I did ask for help and I would appreciate you tone down the snides and hostilities if your quotes are using them. I am merely saying that if the modem/router IS the problem then why doesn't it affect my mmo's or my steam games? @Nalates Urriah Yes they do, and I'm always wearing attachments of two avatars ((due to me trying to swap avatars from two different folders))

You aren't getting it. Other games are not on the SL servers. That is the connection you need to test. The connection you have out to your ISP can be considered the general connection. Any TRACERT run to any server will have the same first few hops, between you and your ISP. Then from the ISP to wherever changes and passes through different hardware and backbone service providers to reach the content provider's servers.

If you are in Chicago and connect to a site in Florida you are NOT using the same connection path as when you connect to a server in California.

Ethan in his blunt and incomplete way could have possibly been right. Other MMO's provide no indication of how well your connection to the SL servers should work. SL has changed some from the days when it used a ridiculous number of connections and often overload old or cheap gateway/modem/routers. So, it is still a common troubleshooting step to restart a gateway/modem/router.

So, while 'connection' is not the likely cause of your problem this time, it almost always is. Thus why so many insist you look at the connection realistically and not suppositionally to eliminate it.

Whirly has given you the best set of remaining things to consider.

Friend told me something in im after i logged and it worked. Don't ask me what I did but in all it is fixed. Also Panoramic router IS a modem as well. So the fact that I have to use a hybrid MODEM and ROUTER despite me only requiring a modem is beyond my comprehension but thanks guys for your help in the end.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.