I want build a house in blender. What are some things I should know?

Xonoa Silverweb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So it will be my first time doing it and I'm pretty ok in blender. I read around that it would be easier to load up the house in parts. Does that simply mean each wall separately or all walls as one entity? As we'll as floors and roofs etc.

Also are there any other things I should know? Like is it hard to texture a blender home within SL?

Be sure and MAP your house before exporting and think about how you want the textures to lay out (direction of siding for example). 

Everyone does things differently. I typically do walls, roof and floors separately. Your choice though. It is more difficult to upload in one piece so probably not the best method to use to start.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PHYSICS MODEL.

Edited by Chic Aeon

31 minutes ago, Xonoa Silverweb said:

Ok also. can you resize a home once you get it in SL? like you can do with normal prims?

Yes you can, but your textures can get messed up if you use both default and planar repeats. 

what I do is make a simple first draft inworld to get the dimensions I want, then save and import into Blender.

Edited by Pamela Galli

18 minutes ago, Xonoa Silverweb said:

Oh awesome! thank you! Lastly...this just popped up. Will I ever be able to export buildings from SL to blender? I have an example of what i made in prims in-world so now i want to take that into blender so I can have a good enough ref for dimensions and size

Most or all third party viewers have this ability. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.