Linux Viewer not Starting

Ze Marabana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Viewer not starting since the lasted version was installed. I'd rather have the option then have it forced on me **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif" border="0" alt=":smileysad:" title="Smiley Sad" /> Running just fine until the update any help is apprecited

/secondlife
64-bit Linux detected.
Running from /home/xxx/tmp/SecondLife-i686-2.6.3.2274447
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with KDE: Directory /homw/xxx/.kde/share/services/ does not exist.
which: no kde4-config in (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/ibm/c4eb/bin:/home/xxx/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin)
 - Installing menu entries in /home/xxxx/.local/share/applications
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown. ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.

Cheers, Ze.

Since the last update I too am having a problem. MY SL launches just fine, but when I try and log in I get an error:

Login Failed.

Could not resolve the host name.

Please verify that you can connect to the www.secondlife.com

web site. If you can, but continue to receive this error,

please go to the support section and report this error.

I got a new copy but same problem.

Anna

• 1 month later...

Ze Marabana wrote:

bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There's a bug in recent linux versions of Second Life: the libSDL-1.2.so file is in the package, but under a different name than the Second Life Viewer searches for. You can get it to run as follows:

cd /home/xxx/tmp/SecondLife-i686-2.6.3.2274447/libln -s libSDL-1.2.so.0.* libSDL-1.2.so.0

This will create a symlink, so the actual file is found when the viewer looks for the other filename. (Another option would be to just rename the file.)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Use the singularity viewer. it just works on virtually anything. I too had  some  do-not-run-directly glibc 2.11 not found - errors. i cant start sl viewer or firestorm in my pclinuxos . but i found singularity. it just works. and it works faster then the both of them. :)

• 5 years later...
On 8/5/2011 at 8:32 AM, Ze Marabana said:

Thanks for the update, but this did not work either!!

hello,

after battling along with this very same problem, luckily I found a working solution within the Second Life Wiki, here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linux_Viewer#64-bit

apparently, what happens is that at some point Ubuntu stopped providing support for ia32-libs and thus require now a different process for installing...

I tried the terminal commands suggested, and it has indeed worked for me:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libidn11:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:i386

hope this helps, see you in SL...

Edited by Purav Ida
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.