Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ze Marabana

Linux Viewer not Starting

16 posts in this topic

Viewer not starting since the lasted version was installed. I'd rather have the option then have it forced on me **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif" border="0" alt=":smileysad:" title="Smiley Sad" /> Running just fine until the update any help is apprecited

/secondlife
64-bit Linux detected.
Running from /home/xxx/tmp/SecondLife-i686-2.6.3.2274447
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with KDE: Directory /homw/xxx/.kde/share/services/ does not exist.
which: no kde4-config in (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/ibm/c4eb/bin:/home/xxx/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin)
 - Installing menu entries in /home/xxxx/.local/share/applications
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown. ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.

Cheers, Ze.

Sorry I cannot be much help. Only other thing I can think of is to try to install another V2 TPV like Kirsten's, Dolphin 2, or Firestorm.

I noticed your on 64bit. The downloaded viewer is 32bit. Did you try the "linux32" command? $ linux32 secondlife Check your distribution to make sure it has updated all of its 32bit compatability-libs.

Yes I have all the 32 bit libraies. The linux32 ./secondlife is not working either, complains about kde4. I did not have any problems until this latest update.

Ze Marabana wrote:

bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin:
error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

*** Bad shutdown. ***

Well, there's your problem. You're missing some libraries, in this case the SDL library.

Since the last update I too am having a problem. MY SL launches just fine, but when I try and log in I get an error:

Login Failed.

Could not resolve the host name.

Please verify that you can connect to the www.secondlife.com

web site. If you can, but continue to receive this error,

please go to the support section and report this error.

I got a new copy but same problem.

Anna

...Same issue here.OpenSuse 11.4 32bits.

All the previous viewers run ok; 2.3.6.xxxx doesn´t open.

The library is in the secondlife-install/lib directory. So  do I need a LIBPATH variable set up?

Cheers,

Ze

Nope setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not make a difference. BTW Same error on Fedora.

Cheers

Ze. 

Ze Marabana wrote:

bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There's a bug in recent linux versions of Second Life: the libSDL-1.2.so file is in the package, but under a different name than the Second Life Viewer searches for. You can get it to run as follows:

cd /home/xxx/tmp/SecondLife-i686-2.6.3.2274447/libln -s libSDL-1.2.so.0.* libSDL-1.2.so.0

This will create a symlink, so the actual file is found when the viewer looks for the other filename. (Another option would be to just rename the file.)

Use the singularity viewer. it just works on virtually anything. I too had  some  do-not-run-directly glibc 2.11 not found - errors. i cant start sl viewer or firestorm in my pclinuxos . but i found singularity. it just works. and it works faster then the both of them. :)