Show Off Your Best Prim Builds!!!

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's another one of my favorites, not a complex thing, and I didnt invent it or anything, but it was a blast making the signs, being flexiprim it can only be made with cardboard prims too!  Some fellow tinies and I were gearing up for a bit of a heady revolution...  It was going to be on fleeK!  But Catwa was so nice when we asked the first time it seemed too mean, even for pixies, to squat at the Catwa SIM creating havoc until we had our demands met!  LMAO!

tiny-heads-matter.gif.08e3890b288cb9d4984dd69573e01dfe.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love this thread!!!! I still build in prim. I could build 24/7. And my prim builds still sell on mp. Being able to add shine and bump to textures gives us more range with what we can create now as well. 

My bestie asked me to put my take on the real "Frank Lloyd Wright Fallingwater" house. The land and cliffs were bought mesh items but the house were pretty much all prim.

FLW home 1.png

And I am currently working on a build for a client which is 95% prim. Only the stairs and signage for the building name are mesh. Bring back more prim builds!!!

Edited by bbwbabe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I still sell some old (and very cheap) prim builds on the Marketplace. Mostly Steampunk - Victorian :D.  But the last impressive prim build I made was in Kitely. It fits on a quarter of a sim and has guest cottages, swimming pool and open air areas. There are some mesh doors and lights (optional)  but the rest of the 618 prim build is -- well prims.   I also just made an open air art gallery for my new sim which is all prims except for some louver windows. Half an hour and I was done. Gotta love that. 

frontentry.png.90d7de951fb4229395646e23e0e8a031.png

hacienda_010.thumb.png.cf4db320cbcfb04c65fe7e64637e1089.png

• Like 5

One of my recent art shows I built prim boxes to display my paintings in, pretty simple stuff, but it's something i have a picture that's easy to find.

Kultivate 5th Anniversary Show

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

One of my recent art shows I built prim boxes to display my paintings in, pretty simple stuff, but it's something i have a picture that's easy to find.

Of course! ^_^

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves in SL: simple flat vendor boards made from mesh with butchered LoD. I mean, even if we for the sake of argument say that it makes sense to make something like that as mesh in the first place (it doesn't), how are we supposed to take a mesh maker who can't even make a simple twelve-or-less tris model without messing up the LoD seriously?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well beyond my patience or abilities, but I would like to give a shout out to an amazing prim builder that makes motorbikes and motorbike parts. He builds in prims and then uploads as mesh. The only parts not made from prims are the wires he has a tube making kit for.

This for example, made from well over a 1000 prims before uploaded as mesh:

Vincent_Black_Shadow_003.jpg?1437325414

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

I've only been learning how to build for a few months, but I'm quite pleased with this dome house I just built.  I used textures from a free texture organizer I got on the MP.  It has two floors, and a spiral staircase, and is only 12 LI.

b67 crystal dome house LI 12_001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LunaThyme said:

Hi everyone,

I've only been learning how to build for a few months, but I'm quite pleased with this dome house I just built.  I used textures from a free texture organizer I got on the MP.  It has two floors, and a spiral staircase, and is only 12 LI.

b67 crystal dome house LI 12_001.jpg

good on you. I like :)

sometimes when we have been in SL for a while we forget the sheer joy we all experienced when we first started building stuff with prims. I see your spiral staircase and I think wooo! I remember doing that for the first time. And how I was so happy with myself

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:07 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Disagree.

Thats fine, however... not only did I have that there for nearly a year, but not a single person complained, including anyone from LL. Perhaps had it been a giant *****hole, with huge signs, poofing, flashing, exploding, inappropriate things, and other hideous *****, then it would have gone differently. And guess what? If LL had asked, I would have taken it down, no worries. I ended up buying mainland afterwards I had so much fun,  win/win.😘

Here's something I made a year or so ago, a Japanese-style floor light, because I bought something similar which turned out to have a LI of 24(!!) It was no-mod, so I made my own with prims only, and it came in at 7 LI (switched to convex hull).  

54130501_GubbinzJapaneseFloorLight_001.png.7c3fd63fbeeee338963d1e782f0f19d5.png

If I knew how to make it in mesh, it would probably end up being 2LI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Here's something I made a year or so ago, a Japanese-style floor light, because I bought something similar which turned out to have a LI of 24(!!)

24???

I can see how this can be made from 22 or 31 prims but nothing in between that seems to make any sense at all.

so I made my own with prims only, and it came in at 7 LI (switched to convex hull). 

That's as low as you can get this with prims. Really nicely done! I think even most inexperienced prim builders could figure out how to at 8 LI (as long as they knew about convex hulls of course) but that final twist to bring it down to 7 is not nearly as obvious and takes it straight from beginner level to advanced.

If I knew how to make it in mesh, it would probably end up being 2LI.

It can be done at 1 LI as mesh and that's without sacrificing LoD or resorting to tricks like impostor faces and bounding box extensions. But 24 to 7 is 17 Li saved and enough that the land impact isn't really a problem anymore. 7 to one is only 6 less and not really as important from a practical point of view.

Even so, I find it mildly annoying that it could have been 1 LI as prims too if the assets server had worked a little bit different. This prim build actually uses very little data, much less than it would have done as mesh. But the data is spread out across the assets database with each prim having its own entry. That means the server has to do 14 searches through the base to find them all, bringing the server weight up to 7. If the whole lnkset had been stored as a single database entry, the server would only have had to do a single search, bringing the LI down to 0.5. That's not going to happen though since it would require rebuilding a database with several billion entries from scratch. Maybe it had been possible 15 years ago but today it's far too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That's as low as you can get this with prims. Really nicely done! I think even most inexperienced prim builders could figure out how to at 8 LI (as long as they knew about convex hulls of course) but that final twist to bring it down to 7 is not nearly as obvious and takes it straight from beginner level to advanced.

If there's a "twist" to it, I found it by accident. I'm certain I didn't use any particular weird or advanced technique for it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.