Why region with similar active objects/scripts have different percentage of "scripts run"?

JessieHoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I first want to say thanks to everyone helped me about land in my earlier threads. I have learned a lot from them. Now I know that lag is an important issue concerning buying land. And percentage of "scripts run" in advanced statistic tools in Firestorm is a good indicator about the lag meter. And I do see a significant relationship between that number and the lag as I can feel the lag in regions with a low percentage like 30%. But I feel confused as regions can have very similar active objects/avatars/scripts in them, but the percentage of "scripts run" can vary quite a lot, from 90% to 20%. So why it is the case?

Thank you very much!

40 minutes ago, JessieHoo said:

. And percentage of "scripts run" in advanced statistic tools in Firestorm is a good indicator about the lag meter. And I do see a significant relationship between that number and the lag as I can feel the lag in regions with a low percentage like 30%. But I feel confused as regions can have very similar active objects/avatars/scripts in them, but the percentage of "scripts run" can vary quite a lot, from 90% to 20%. So why it is the case?

that statement is too general i think. As far i know it totally depends on the time the scripts need. If you have 10.000 simple scripts with a simple line, you could have a "scripts run" of 100 % and no lag at all,
and you could have a sim with 10 scripts full of complicated functions,,..... and lag all and everyone around you.
It all depends on spare script time.

It is btw often a different type of lag, the scipts using all script time will keep running, but simply stop if the max is reached, and function again as soon there's a moment free time...  than block again when it's full, we feel that as lag in funcioning. What people often call lag is a bad loading time, and bad connection to a sim so the avatar doesn't communicates fast enough with the viewer.

The fluctuation % of scripts running simply tells what the name is... not all scripts run all the time.

( i'm no scripter, so if i say some stupid things somebody with more deep knowledge will add correct info)

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

( i'm no scripter, so if i say some stupid things somebody with more deep knowledge will add correct info)

It's a very good description. Running scripts is low priority work for the sim server. With a few expections it does all its other tasks first and then it runs as many of the scripts that it can before it runs out of frame time.

I'd just add that sims do other things besides run scripts, and the amount of time spent doing those other things can vary from one sim to another, leaving more or less time available to run scripts.

For example, a sim with a lot of avatars present -- leaving aside the number of scripts those avatars bring with them -- will have less time to run scripts because it needs to spend more time on other stuff ("Agent Time" in particular, but also Network and maybe Physics).

(Oh, also, when that "other stuff" ends up taking more time than a normal frame -- for example, if a sim is in Physics overload -- the frame extends in ways that may strangely affect script times. I really don't understand how that works. At least according to the Sim Statistics window, it seems multiple "frame's worth" of script time can get squeezed into the extended frame.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.