Problem with my account

Sachios Feden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently downgraded my premium account to basic, hence there are no mainland holdings. I used to own a 1024 sqm mainland parcel which was sold before I downgraded to basic. I was charged 7 USD on 23rd August (yesterday) and my account has a USD balance of USD -7.00 now. Is this supposed to happen? I see 'Next bill date: 9-23-2018' on the Land Holdings section on my Account Summary page, does this mean that I'll be charged 7 USD again next month?

firefox_2018-08-24_22-05-19.png

firefox_2018-08-24_23-34-54.png

13 answers to this question

You are always charged for the land fees that you owned on any land that you owned at any time during a billing period.  Your current land holdings are 0.0 sq m., but if you owned more than that at any time between July 23 and August 23, you are responsible for paying the land fees on it.  The billing office has apparently tried to charge your billing method and failed, so you'll have to call and talk with them about it.

Our Billing team is available from 6am to 3pm PST, Monday through Friday. 
Call toll-free in the US/Canada: 800-294-1067 or 703-286-6277

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the only Mainland you owned was a 1024 sq m. parcel, you should not have been charged $7.00.

But, there are two possible ways that could have happened.

• You owned 1024 sq. m.
  • You donated 1024 sq. m. of tier to a group
  • You then deeded the land to the group.

For a short period, you both owned the land, AND contributed tier to a group.  So, in effect, you owned 2048 sq. m.  You owe tier for the excess 1024.

OR

• You owned a 1024 sq m. parcel
  • You found another 1024 sq. m. parcel you liked better, and bought it
  • You sold or abandoned your first parcel

In this case, too, you owned 2,048 sq. m. for a short time.  You owe tier for the excess 1024.

In any case, unless you can get LL to agree that you were charged in error (unlikely!) you need to establish a valid payment method to clear your debt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

you need to establish a valid payment method to clear your debt.

by following the link in the message you get redirected to pay it instantly. LL will not try taking it themself after this warning.
If right, the downgrade is fulfilled than and no more billing will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sachios Feden said:

I recently downgraded my premium account to basic, hence there are no mainland holdings. I used to own a 1024 sqm mainland parcel which was sold before I downgraded to basic. I was charged 7 USD on 23rd August (yesterday) and my account has a USD balance of USD -7.00 now. Is this supposed to happen? I see 'Next bill date: 9-23-2018' on the Land Holdings section on my Account Summary page, does this mean that I'll be charged 7 USD again next month?

firefox_2018-08-24_22-05-19.png

firefox_2018-08-24_23-34-54.png

One additional note -- If that back debt is not cleared (not sure of the timeline, but likely only 30-60 days), you account will be locked until you pay it.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for answering

9 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You are always charged for the land fees that you owned on any land that you owned at any time during a billing period.  Your current land holdings are 0.0 sq m., but if you owned more than that at any time between July 23 and August 23, you are responsible for paying the land fees on it.  The billing office has apparently tried to charge your billing method and failed, so you'll have to call and talk with them about it. 

I owned no more than a 1024 sqm parcel while I had a premium membership until the first week of August  and never had to pay it because my land holdings always were within the the allowed free tier. Do such land fees include fees for the 1024 sqm land at additional land holdings fee rate for 1024 sqm (7 USD) ? The failure in charging is because I had disconnected my PayPal account from billing methods and that should be easily fixed as the dues will be cleared when I sell convert lindens to USD for a payout.

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If the only Mainland you owned was a 1024 sq m. parcel, you should not have been charged $7.00. 

I'd appreciate some clarity on this if possible, please. Are you sure ? Only mainland I owned before downgrade was a 1024 parcel ( never more than that) within the free tier and that is why I doubt the validity of 7 USD ( fees for 1024 sqm additional land) as maintenance fees. All I did was sell that land before downgrading.

It'd be reassuring if someone can confirm that they were charged for the land holdings within free tier after downgrading the account. I can safely assume that this is the LL policy and I won't be charged the same again next month as the land holdings start at none for the new month. The fact that 'next billing date' is still active and is set for 23rd of September is what makes me unsure about it.

Edited by Sachios Feden

6 minutes ago, Sachios Feden said:

Only mainland I owned before downgrade was a 1024 parcel ( never more than that) within the free tier and that is why I doubt the validity of 7 USD ( fees for 1024 sqm additional land) as maintenance fees. All I did was sell that land before downgrading.

Did the land by chance belong to a group and you took it back from the group before you sold it?  If that happened and the steps did not all happen in the correct order, then you can end up incurring tier fees.

As to the "next billing date" - my guess is that is simply when LL will attempt to get the $7 again, since it is the same "day" as the August date that you were just billed (tier is collected monthly).  If you sell some L$, then that will wipe out the $7 due, otherwise LL would try to use a billing method again on that date.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

The easiest way to get an answer to your questions is to do as a couple of us have suggested:  call the Linden Lab Billing Office and ask.  This is a resident-to-Resident Answers service.  Lindens rarely come here, so you are getting well-informed but "unofficial" advice from us.  The phone call is free and the billing office people are friendly and helpful.

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The easiest way to get an answer to your questions is to do as a couple of us have suggested:  call the Linden Lab Billing Office and ask.  This is a resident-to-Resident Answers service.  Lindens rarely come here, so you are getting well-informed but "unofficial" advice from us.  The phone call is free and the billing office people are friendly and helpful. 

I understand this is nothing official, but it'd be extremely helpful if someone here can confirm that this was or was not an error from LL, maybe based on their own experience. Calling the Labs is not that viable an option for me as my ISD charges alone will exceed 7 USD as I live outside US/Canada. Thank you both for trying to help.

Edited by Sachios Feden

11 hours ago, Sachios Feden said:

I recently downgraded

i just noticed something very strange ... not that long ago there was also somebody telling this same story. It seems to happen with downgrading accounts.

And got a message inworld about the same, also a free account that sudden had hold land. This should be impossible. And he was also convinced nothing happened with groups. And already downgraded 26-6... IF there were payments to do those should have cleared long ago.
Even more strange that there isn't a billing date , but still mentioning a fee for landholding

@Tommy Linden @Kristin Linden ( or other Linden... perhaps can shine a light over this ? )

1937981521_arturlandholding.png.c7354a13ce64893d0d774b1b642a6d0f.png

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.