September 2018 - A Conversation with Linden Lab CEO Ebbe Altberg

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Ryan Schultz from Sansar here, hi Ebbe!)

My question for you is: when will Second Life Premium users be able to select a new first name-last name combination?

My post on my blog about this upcoming SL change is now my most popular blogpost by far, with 2,266 views as of today! So I think that you can expect a lot of people to take advantage of this feature when it does become available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is there any timeline on when "Bakes on Mesh" will be released? I'd love to use some of those ten years worth of old "system layers" type clothing and stuff on my meshy-self rather than using appliers over and over. I'm personally looking forward to this new feature more than any other.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

with regard to the new tiers for sims. private sim owners that did the buy down for their sim
has gotten a raw deak. Not only has LL lowered the sim price, going though them, but left the
transfer fee the same for buy down sims at $600 USD. I it a shame that when we sell out sims, LL 
makes more on the sell than we do. Some have said, "suck it up, you got 2 years at reduced rates. 
Well, when I paid for the buy down no one said it was for 2 years and then I would get riped off.
All anyone wants is an even playing field. Lower the transfer fee to the same as LL charges.
Nothing we can do with our sim now, except lose the money we paid to LL.

• Haha 2

I recently got some ads for joining SL while using other services - already being in SL those ads are kinda wasted on me. Did you invest into target optimized ads - because if you do the target optimization kinda failed ;) - if you however just target "casual online gamers" I greatly welcome this idea to advertise SL.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I recently got some ads for joining SL while using other services - already being in SL those ads are kinda wasted on me. Did you invest into target optimized ads - because if you do the target optimization kinda failed ;) 

It would be a pretty major privacy breech if advertisers knew who was in SL and who wasn't based on their IP address or social media identity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

It would be a pretty major privacy breech if advertisers knew who was in SL and who wasn't based on their IP address or social media identity.

google knows who googles "secondlife" ... no privacy breech there ;)

3 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

(Ryan Schultz from Sansar here, hi Ebbe!)

My question for you is: when will Second Life Premium users be able to select a new first name-last name combination?

Additional question: Why should this name change / name selection thing be only available for premium members?
Wouldn't it be more fair that everybody can change their name if they wanted to? And pay for the name change.
Every new user creating an account should be able to select first and last name free of any charge. Nobody would pay for name when creating an account.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My question.  SANSAR's native support for Maya software is great.  Can we have that capability in SL?  In SL, most of us find the best way to get Maya models into SL is to pass them through Blender first.  It seems a shame to have to run output from a top-tier solid modeling program (Maya) through the rather clunky Blender freeware just to get models into SL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How about reintroducing 24-hour support and providing qualified staff in their own language for users who do not speak English, or only to a limited extent? For example, There are always users from Germany or other countries in Europe, who feel abandoned with their problems because they do not speak English and their spelling due to various weaknesses, such as. a spelling weakness, not even by a translator such as Google Translate are translatable. This could be remedied by the use of external staff in European, Asian, African etc. call centers who have adapted their support time to the respective time zones and are also able to decipher the worst style flower of their language. Thousands of non-US citizens and not English speaking user would like to thank you and also recommend Second Life because you also think of their needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How about giving us Premium members a decent house to live in?

I think those sh*tty Linden houses have been around since I left Beta Grid 11 years ago.

Not only terribly designed, you can only choose out of 4 (?) truly awful shoe boxes that you wouldn't keep a DOG in, but then to add insult to injury, you're squashed cheek by jowl in some kind of concentration camp with NOT ONE SINGLE PIXEL outside space to play on.

As for the modification rights to your own home, forget it.
Lights on/off

Yep, pretty much it.

I can't change the walls/wallpaper/textures on ANYTHING.

Truly pointless.

I sometimes wonder why I bother paying for premium. I think I'll stop it next time renewal comes around.

Edited by Xafira Cortes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Xafira Cortes said:

Truly pointless.

I sometimes wonder why I bother paying for premium. I think I'll stop it next time renewal comes around.

and i sometimes wonder if people ever read the blogposts, past postings... your questions are already answered a year ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is being done regarding people still using traffic bots? It has been almost 9 years since Linden Lab Official:Bot policy was written and I am still seeing traffic bots on the grid today. Once such place I reported back in May but it seems like as they are a big group (it's a large land owner, they are actually the largest Mainland land owner) they are allowed to run the traffic bots. Another I reported in July and I have not seen the bots go down at all. 

11 hours ago, Marth Coberts said:

Also regarding the Last Names returning: Will we pick from a randomized list like we have in the past?

My understanding is that yes, we will be able to pick a last name from a list as in the past.

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, dunsmore said:

with regard to the new tiers for sims. private sim owners that did the buy down for their sim
has gotten a raw deak. Not only has LL lowered the sim price, going though them, but left the
transfer fee the same for buy down sims at $600 USD. I it a shame that when we sell out sims, LL 
makes more on the sell than we do. Some have said, "suck it up, you got 2 years at reduced rates. 
Well, when I paid for the buy down no one said it was for 2 years and then I would get riped off.
All anyone wants is an even playing field. Lower the transfer fee to the same as LL charges.

I totally agree with Dunsmore,  and everyone who bought down a sim, now feels ripped off. After what you Linden did with Buying Dow, who can trust you when you promise new benefits? I surely won't unless you say clear and loud how long they will last: 1 year? 2 years? for ever?

It would be FAIR if you Linden will do ASAP one of two for buy down sims: 1) lower the transfer fees or 2) lower the monthly tiers.

That would be fair with users who (ashame on us!) trusted Linden lab.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, dunsmore said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you got 2 years at a saving of $100 a month. That's $2400. I've forgotten how much the buy-down cost, but I'm sure it was nowhere near that much - $1000 maybe? The sums say that you made a big gain. If it was much more than $1000, then my inclination would be in your favour, but not about transfer fees.

Why should the transfer fee be any different to everyone else's? You were offered reduced tier - nothing else. Do the original grandfathered sims have a lower transfer fee? If they do, I'd agree with you about it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

Dear Ebbe,

Could Linden Lab consider restoring the public economic information that LL once published years ago? That would mean the number of unique 30-day log-ins and repeat log-ins; the number of avatars who own land; the number of avatars who have spent varying amounts inworld, from 1L to 100,000L and so on. 

Could you also consider publicizing the names of the winners of the auctions and also all those who bid on the auctions, and make an archive that is searchable after the auctions are over. Again, LL used to do this years ago. 

Prokofy

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Xafira Cortes said:

I think those sh*tty Linden houses have been around since I left Beta Grid 11 years ago.

Not only terribly designed, you can only choose out of 4 (?) truly awful shoe boxes that you wouldn't keep a DOG in, but then to add insult to injury, you're squashed cheek by jowl in some kind of concentration camp with NOT ONE SINGLE PIXEL outside space to play on.

As for the modification rights to your own home, forget it.
Lights on/off

Yep, pretty much it.

I can't change the walls/wallpaper/textures on ANYTHING.

Truly pointless.

Currently there are 22 different Linden Homes in 4 different styles (I think the number changes according to availability).  To change the textures, you need to touch the panel near the door, inside the house and choose from a good selection of choices using the link to a webpage for this purpose.  I've lived in these homes off and on since I first joined SL as a Premium Member in 2015, walked and flew around those neighbourhoods, enjoyed the roads, rivers, parks and community centers, met some neighbours and found these homes quite comfortable and still had the full amount of 512 m2 prims (175 currently) to furnish, rez, build, listen to whatever Stream of music I chose, choose my own level of security and privacy and also abandon and choose a different LL Home at any time, if I so desired.  I wish these nice LL communities were integrated into the Mainland continents as a nice introduction to living in SL as they have been a very nice starter home and a good example of living as part of the community.

Question for Ebbe: Will LL Homes ever be part of, or directly connected to the Mainland Continents?  

Edited by BJoyful
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Lady Magic said:

I totally agree with Dunsmore,  and everyone who bought down a sim, now feels ripped off. After what you Linden did with Buying Dow, who can trust you when you promise new benefits? I surely won't unless you say clear and loud how long they will last: 1 year? 2 years? for ever?

It would be FAIR if you Linden will do ASAP one of two for buy down sims: 1) lower the transfer fees or 2) lower the monthly tiers.

That would be fair with users who (ashame on us!) trusted Linden lab.

Im confused how you feel ripped off. Your buy down price is still lower than the new reduced price. You have broke even already and saved money. The buy down tier was $199 a month, the new LL sim prices are $249 a month. You have already saved $2400 in the time you have owned a sim that has been bought down. Take out the original purchase price at the time which I think was down to $600ish for the sim and $600ish for the buy down, you have not only broke even but have saved roughly $1200 dollars and each month you pay are saving $50 more. Im confused how you think that you are not getting a good deal here or your bought down sim is only lasting two years. So what if the transfer price is $600 like any other sim. 9/10 times I see sims being sold its usually the purchaser not the seller that pays the transfer fee anyway and that person is going to make whatever transfer money they paid back in 12 months at a saving of $50 per month. 

• Like 3

Ebbe Question Are there any other ways, other than what is already present, that Linden Labs could implement that would allow those of us with less powerful computers to be present in high mesh density sims without either lagging out or crashing entirely. Jellydolls worked semi perfectly for avatars, is there a similar or alternate tech that could be implemented for mesh builds in world. De rendering objects completely can be irksome if you are hanging with friends and they want to move around and explore and you can't follow properly due to you not being able to see anything as you have derendered it all. Would Linden Labs consider adding a complexity cap for mesh to prevent further overly complex and badly designed mesh being uploaded in world?. I understand that would not help the situation with the mesh that already exists inside of SL but it would help for future products. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.