Visiting Someone's place (house) without permission from him/her and use objects in house

TugkanAdley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'm soo new in this game. I just enter yesterday and wandering around. When I wandering, I entered a house, I used some objects with curiosity; and I figure out some ethical and in-game legal concerns.

Can I enter someone's house without any permission from object owner (house, land) and Can I use objects (fridge, owen, bad) without permission from him? If I did these, could I get banned from game? 

Thank you! 

Have a good day? 
Edit: 

"Thank you all.

Yes I ask in form "Can I do" but I want to mention that "is it welcomed by game administration and land owner?"

I understand that, it is not good idea for "land owner" even if, their properties are open to enter for everyone. 
But, I understand that there are no banning from game by game admins for this rude action, aren't there? 

It is okay, If I want to enter someone's place I will message him/her and ask. I want to develop my programming skill in game, therefore I don't encounter any ban from game administrators (Linden admins) and I take it seriously. "

Edited by TugkanAdley

Just now, TugkanAdley said:

Hello, I'm soo new in this game. I just enter yesterday and wandering around. When I wandering, I entered a house, I used some objects with curiosity; and I figure out some ethical and in-game legal concerns.

Can I enter someone's house without any permission from object owner (house, land) and Can I use objects (fridge, owen, bad) without permission from him? If I did these, could I get banned from game? 

Thank you! 

Have a good day?

You won't get banned from the game (unless you have a child avatar and you're using - or are in the close vicinity of - objects used for sexual purposes, or actual sex acts visibly taking place near you, and someone sees you and reports you). However you might get banned from that person's land if they realise you've been using their objects. This is something that they - as owner of that land - can do, for any reason (or even for no reason).

Some people don't mind if you wander into their homes when they're offline, but some people do. It's always safest to err on the side of caution, and treat an SL home with the respect that you would give to a real life home: don't enter unless invited! If you're curious as to what's inside, learn how to use the camera controls in your viewer, and you can 'cam' inside and look around without touching anything.

I think that most of us, as newbies, have found a cool house and walked inside without thinking, clicked around, and then left after a while. I know I did that in my very earliest days. But once I became a land-owner in SL I didn't like it when other people did that to my house, and I felt bad for doing it to the people whose homes I'd walked into when I was new.

If nothing else, though, avoid using beds that are rezzed out in private homes in Second Life. You wouldn't want someone else sleeping (or indulging in other activities!) in your bed in real life, and many people feel the same about other SL residents using their bed in Second Life.

In short: you won't get banned from the game (unless you're breaking that child avatar/sexual objects/sex acts rule mentioned in my first paragraph) but don't be surprised if you're banned from that person's home or land. There are plenty of other places in Second Life, so a ban here and there because a land-owner didn't like you intruding into their personal space isn't anything to worry about :)

• Like 9

As long as the home owner isn't there and they don't have anything preventing you from entering there's nothing to stop you from having a nosey round however if you wouldn't do it in RL best not advised to do it in SL though if you are found out you may well get banned from their property. For my own home in SL if someone happens to find their way up there I don't have a problem with them being there as long as they leave everything as I left it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugkanAdley said:

Can I enter someone's house without any permission from object owner (house, land) and Can I use objects (fridge, owen, bad) without permission from him?

If I did these, could I get banned from game? 

Have a good day? 

1. Can you?  Yes. Obviously because you did. It is considered rude, tho.
On the other hand, people build and decorate their land for people to see.  If you send the owner a note saying "You have a lovely home; I just had to cam inside to see.  I really liked the graveyard in the back" (or whatever) you go from creepy intruder to a gracious guest. 

2. No.  You may be banned from the parcel but not from SL.

3. Yes, very.  We are getting ready for a trip to a near by city to have lunch with my sister-in-law while she is there.

• Like 4

Way way back when I had a place in SL, I would sometimes log-in to find people exploring it. I'd introduce myself as the owner of the place and most times the visitors would apologize for "trespassing" and offer to leave. In such cases, I invariably welcomed them to stay, sometimes giving them a tour of my home and the sim it was on (Forgotten City). In the very rare instance where visitors had "attitude", I'd ban them.

Not everyone can afford a home in SL and I was happy mine was available for people to enjoy in my absence. Since the most enjoyable aspect of SL is the resident population, I found having a home base to be a wonderful way to meet new friends. If you follow Rhonda's advice, I think you'll find SL homeowners to be a welcoming bunch.

There are people who can't stand the thought that their virtual property might be visited by others in their absence, setting up ban lines or security orbs to eject interlopers. You'll eventually encounter such things, just as I still do. Don't worry about them. Those things are protecting people you probably don't want to know anyway.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

1. Can you?  Yes. Obviously because you did. It is considered rude, tho.
On the other hand, people build and decorate their land for people to see.  If you send the owner a note saying "You have a lovely home; I just had to cam inside to see.  I really liked the graveyard in the back" (or whatever) you go from creepy intruder to a gracious guest. 

2. No.  You may be banned from the parcel but not from SL.

3. Yes, very.  We are getting ready for a trip to a near by city to have lunch with my sister-in-law while she is there.

Thank you all.

Yes I ask in form "Can I do" but I want to mention that "is it welcomed by game administration and land owner?"

I understand that, it is not good idea for "land owner" even if, their properties are open to enter for everyone. 
But, I understand that there are no banning from game by game admins for this rude action, aren't there? 

It is okay, If I want to enter someone's place I will message him/her and ask. I want to develop my programming skill in game, therefore I don't encounter any ban from game administrators (Linden admins) and I take it seriously.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There are people who can't stand the thought that their virtual property might be visited by others in their absence, setting up ban lines or security orbs to eject interlopers. You'll eventually encounter such things, just as I still do. Don't worry about them. Those things are protecting people you probably don't want to know anyway.

;-).

You won't want to know me then, as I have an orbiter.  I got tired of being startled when arriving home and finding someone there, or worse, other people telling me to go away.  I do get startled; I even startle myself sometimes when I move.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

Some people are restrictive on who can be at their home in second life. Others, not so much. The way I see it, why go through all the effort to make a home look nice and stuff only to tell people "no go away i don't want you seeing my things".

In real life this would be different (various reasons such as safety, no permission system, no auto return, etc. Bad game imo), but in second life everything is nice and don't have to worry about real life things.

I for one welcome people to enjoy my home, even when I am there, as long as they follow the rules I set up I honestly do not mind.

So to answer your questions: 

Can you enter someone's house and use their things?: Yes.

Should you?: Depends, look at the parcel description or near the entrance, if it says visitors welcome, I'd say yes. If it says private property, then no. Otherwise ask the owner.

Can you get banned?: Not from Second Life. However land owners may ban you from their parcel/house.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

The way I see it, why go through all the effort to make a home look nice and stuff only to tell people "no go away i don't want you seeing my things".

I don't care if people cam and see my things.  I make my home look nice to please me.  I value privacy when changing clothes or talking to a close friend.  Enough answers for you?

1 hour ago, TugkanAdley said:

Thank you all.

It is okay, If I want to enter someone's place I will message him/her and ask. I want to develop my programming skill in game, therefore I don't encounter any ban from game administrators (Linden admins) and I take it seriously.  

You'll pretty much get a different response from each place is all..There isn't one set of rules for each place..many will have rules they give you when you land..

A lot of people won't mind ,while a lot will..

I think just using our best judgement in each situation,is best when moving around the grid..IMing first is always good, just like if asking someone in the RL if you could fish or hunt on their land..

If you ever run pass my place and I'm not there,Have at it and enjoy yourself..If I am there,I usually don't mind either..it just depends on the day.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

I once logged in at home and discovered a couple copulating in my bead LOL - they panicked and poofed. I IM'd one of them and said "No worries, I'm leaving - you can come back and enjoy the bed" Hahaha. People who get all uptight about such make me laugh. I think they take SL way too seriously.

• Like 1

When I have land, or a space as it were, I leave it open for whoever wishes to wander, use any objects on the land, whatever have you. I really don't care what people do, as long as they can't do damage(and they cannot, so, it's not even a problem, lol). If someone makes a nuisance of themselves, I remove them, and their ability to come back...super, super simple :D

I take on the view of....I make it look nice so it can be used, for it to sit empty and unused would be a travesty :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Yes, I do this for places that catch my eye (camming). My experience over the years is that people enjoy the recognition.

My publically accessable land is always open. As long as people don't get creepy while I am there I have no issues if their avatar's pixels are close to my land's pixels.

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I once logged in at home and discovered a couple copulating in my bead LOL - they panicked and poofed. I IM'd one of them and said "No worries, I'm leaving - you can come back and enjoy the bed" Hahaha. People who get all uptight about such make me laugh. I think they take SL way too seriously.

I once had a tropical island, on which I built a hut in which was a sex bed. The only pose my partner and I ever used was "spoon", but visitors seemed to like the other poses more, and I'd often log in to find people canoodling there. I'd do much as you did, encouraging them to carry on. Eventually, I altered the pose positions to place everything but "spoon" in the bushes behind the hut. I still like to think of amorous couples cleaning leaves and twigs off each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

You won't be banned from the game.

You MIGHT be banned from that particular land parcel by the owner, especially if they come home and find you trespassing there.  The chances of this are reduced if you are polite, say something nice about the place, admit you were trespassing, and offer to leave.  The chances are increased if you mouth off to the owner instead.  I've found people in my home who immediately demanded that I "get out...this is my house, I was here first!"  They didn't last long.  I have also found strangers in my home who turned out to be very nice.

Off topic, but I got some security that I really like. It does not send the trespassing avatar "home" but just puts him/her out of my property, on the Linden road.

I think that is a friendly way to eject people, just place them outside so they can go on from that point.

I have no idea why it works that way, but I love it. I only encountered the orbs that send you "home" when I was new.

Sometimes when exploring, I got stuck in some prims or lagged, and couldn't leave before I was sent "home". I could not find back to where I was.

There are 2 options (not counting Ban) when removing someone from land. 1. Eject and 2. Send Home. Eject puts them on the next parcel, like yours does. Script writers can include them in the scripts. I would have thought that all security devices have a user-selectable choice as to which is used. Better ones might also have the user-selectable option to first eject, and then send home if the avatar returns within a set time.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Most security orbs have the ability to set the range, time limit and whether they send you home or just eject. They also tend to default to the most strict (and rudest) setting possible; all of your land, zero warning, tp home. Couple that with the fact that nobody reads the instructions and it's little wonder that you thought all of them worked that way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.