So who's going to get a new Nvidia RTX 2000 series?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't need more

but I want more

honestly though, id need to do a full system upgrade, I could jump to an i7 4790k and pair well with a 1080ti or Titan XP, but these RTX cards are being bottlenecked on 7700/8700k's from the few little snippets of system configurations we've seen so far 

and I don't have a use for a card like that anyway

IMG_1706.JPG

• Like 1

I was considering it, until the price was revealed. I mean I was recently (just today) fortunate enough to come across a one-off chunk of disposable income. I have just decided to make a few upgrades to my system. I just didn't want to blow it all in one go--so the RTX 2080, and even a 1080 Ti at its current price range (which is more or less the same), was out of the question.

From AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz (with CM MasterLiquid 120 AiO)--Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4.0--HyperX 32GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10--MSI R9 290 4GB Gaming Edition
To: AMD Ryzen R7 2700X (using the same AiO)--Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming--32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz CL15--Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB OC WF3

My old hardware will go in a backup rig. What I'll do with the hardware that's currently in it, I don't know (Phenom II x6 1090T BE @ 3.7GHz--ASUS M5A97 Pro--Gigabyte HD7950 3GB WF3).

Edited by Nastasha Szaberwick

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are funny.. The new GTX2080 is processing graphics completely differently.. It's going to be able to computer nutzoid graphics for an unbelievably affordable price. You can grab them at like $500 bucks now compared to the super expensive cards of yester(last)year

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Adlai Rae said:

wait a minute....

Does Second Life's coding support real-time ray tracing? If so, can you share an article where I could read up on it?

No, SL does not support real-time ray tracing. Here's an article on the GTX 2080 vs the 1080. The 2080 is only useful for new games that use its dedicated ray tracing hardware. Performs about the same as a 1080 on existing games.

trend.gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-1080.598e7

NVidia 1080 pricing. The spike in the middle was the cryptocurrency mining boom. Finally, the price is dropping. Historically, a year and a half after release, pricing should have been down by 50%. Not this year. Expect the price to drop further now that this is the old model.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2018 at 5:22 AM, Vicious713 said:

You guys are funny.

for an unbelievably affordable price.

You can grab them at like $500 bucks now

ohh funny... just 500 again...

Yoú may have 500 to spend on all toys you like, but in the real life some / most people can only spend their hard earned money one time.
For many it means food or no food, guess what they choose?..

• Like 1

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3365-nvidia-rtx-2080-founders-edition-review-benchmarks-vs-gtx-1080-ti

"The RTX cards may yet shine, but there aren't any applications making use of the namesake feature just yet -- at least, not any outside of tech demonstrations, and those don't count. Until we see a price drop in the 2080, compelling RTX implementations in an actually relevant game, or depleted stock on the 1080 Ti, there is no strong reason we would recommend the RTX 2080 card. "

On 21 August 2018 at 6:57 PM, Phoebe Avro said:

So who's going to get a new Nvidia RTX 2000 series gpu?

Tech-Illiterate "Leet Gamerz" with more money than braincells, probably...

Real time raytracing, would be nice... If there were any applications that actually supported it, maybe it will be worth getting if you have a rig with the grunt to run one, in a year or two when the price has dropped and there are actually some applications out there to use the damn thing.

• Like 1

Real time raytracing would be frikin epic ... but it's going to take time to for titles to catch up, and by the time it's a standard thing a 2080 RTX will be last years slow junk.

Really the RTX cards are developer boards being sold as retail, it's a clever way to push a technology.

For SL .. there are some solid benefits aside from simply being the latest pretty but it would require a whole new render pipeline, which with apple ditching OpenGL adds one more good reason for LL to put together a Vulkan development team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My eyeballs do real-time raytracing. The more you know! ?

Technically they don't. Raytracing works by casing out a ray for each pixel and working it back towards light sources. The real world world casts rays from the light source, some of which make it to your eyes *

* At least that's our day to day perception of it, the double slit experiment exposes some weirdness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Technically they don't. Raytracing works by casing out a ray for each pixel and working it back towards light sources. The real world world casts rays from the light source, some of which make it to your eyes *

* At least that's our day to day perception of it, the double slit experiment exposes some weirdness.

Stealing everyday majick, hmmm?

8 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I used spend most of my spare time coaxing images out of a ray-tracer before giving that all up to make real time content in SL .. I guess had this happened 10 years later I wouldn't have even stopped by SL on my way to Unity.

Hmm.., I guess by “?”, you don’t “get” my reply. That’s ok! 

P.S. Just remembered a report I did in college on ray tracing in the 1980’s, at the time it was on how specialty computers were required (I remember clearly). Yet today, you can buy that capability for your PC. Wouldn’t this seem like “magic” back in the 70’s?

Oh yes, raytracing used to just be painfully slow. I remember being stunned by the speed increase when the owner of the 486 I was using at the time bought a math co-processor (mainly as I was running his PC night and day). That boost didn't last very long, within a week my scenes were a hundred times more complex and we were back to renders that would take days. Lalalalala :D

Doing it real time has been a dream for decades.

That does remind me of one of the first questions I asked King Philip at a town hall after I started SL regarding adding constrictive solid geometry (CSG) to Second Life and he had no idea what I was talking about. Basically asking for the ability to take 2 prims and can then subtract one from the other. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Really the RTX cards are developer boards being sold as retail, it's a clever way to push a technology.

Theyre not really trying to push ray tracing on consumers, the reason we're seeing all these cards is because the Turing quadros flopped on announcement. They tried pulling a consumer targeted marketing tactic on a professional enterprise environment and drove away those customers fast. Pascal and Volta had just come out, professionals are happy with them, they perform very well. Less wealthy but less time constrained businesses are buying AMD Radeon Pro cards, especially animation studios where the Radeon SSG shines best due to its gigantic quantity of video memory. All these cards are doing what everyone wants.

The thing though, is that its been less than 2 years since the Quadro GP100 game out, less than half a year since the Volta GV100 and other volta cards came out, and here comes Nvidia with another GPU skew on Turing. Except this time theyre advertising this fancy new feature "ray tracing" and seriously tried to look a crowd of representatives from billion dollar industries and say "this new technology ray tracing" and focused their entire presentation on that, barely talked at all about the actual performance compared to Pascal and Volta cards, and basically left a bunch of really important people to Nvidia sitting there and going "what the hell are they talking about". 

They pushed a standard technology as a feature just because it was optimized for it. And tried to push out a 6 month tech cycle for cards that cost thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Needless to say, everyone went "nah" and is expressing that theyre sticking with their Pascal and Volta machines since very few of them would do real time ray tracing anyway even in those professional markets, and even if they did, when you have hundreds of Quadro GP100's at your disposal you can real time ray trace all you want. 

So Turing went consumer, which is why it was fairly sudden, the cards werent optimized for power consumption and are extremely hot and power hungry, there are very few games that currently support it (and the few that do are several years old and have supported ray traced lighting for a long time) and the big titles that do arent even out yet. It was rushed, they messed up with the market for their Quadro and Tesla cards and had to rebrand to sell to consumers for gaming purposes. Their actual gaming performance without ray tracing is showing them being barely above their pascal counterparts. The RTX 2080ti is basically a Titan XP but at a few hundred dollars less which is ok i guess, but even then the Titan XP barely outperforms a 1080ti for half the price.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:34 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

Just converted and 500 USD at today's rate is £378  -  my food, gas and electric, clothing, internet for a month for me and 2 kids and if I  budget really hard, a little left for the Christmas fund.  

seen       one on ebay 500 quid, think this is due to the rate of the pound against the dollar if it had been a couple of years back u would have pickrd one up for about 200 quid blooming economy over here is crap now , shame really guess we all have to tighten our belts, low wages, etc while inflation goes up, and our crappy governmant anyway good luck you never know santa may be good to u all the best

Edited by binder59
added text

On 9/21/2018 at 7:22 AM, animats said:

No, SL does not support real-time ray tracing. Here's an article on the GTX 2080 vs the 1080. The 2080 is only useful for new games that use its dedicated ray tracing hardware. Performs about the same as a 1080 on existing games.

trend.gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-1080.598e7

NVidia 1080 pricing. The spike in the middle was the cryptocurrency mining boom. Finally, the price is dropping. Historically, a year and a half after release, pricing should have been down by 50%. Not this year. Expect the price to drop further now that this is the old model.

perhaps there may be a way to turn it off in the card options or may be backwards compatible

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.