Far too serious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No idea, but they sometimes do... some for understandable reasons some not. Keep in mind it can happen, try to avoid the obvious pitfalls but don't bother to make it right for everyone.

Edited by Fionalein

15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why do people take things far too seriously? An emoji, a question, a reply, all of it is so meaningless in the grand scheme of life yet some take them as personal affronts. Do they really have egos that fragile? 

I just gave you a disturbed smiley to see how you react ;)

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why do people take things far too seriously? An emoji, a question, a reply, all of it is so meaningless in the grand scheme of life yet some take them as personal affronts. Do they really have egos that fragile? 

Perhaps, just bear in mind that the conversation that they are having with you might not be the only one going on in their life right at that moment.  It's especially true of virtual life, which by definition is one of at least two life-threads.

The other life may be in one of it's more serious phases.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I am with you on that one.  I put it down to people just not getting my sense of humour and I "try" to hold back my natural sarcasm.  It's the ones who don't get everyone rushing to agree with them, immediately boosting their ego that take it as a personal affront :/  I have no time for that.

• Like 6

No one is born wise and many people never had the opportunity or desire to learn how to be. And sometimes natural emotional impulses are just hard to cope or resist as they were hardwired to our brain through evolution as survival mechanism, which had no reason to make us naturally civilized as our current concept of a civilized society and socio-cultural understanding are mostly a human creation and an acquired knowledge respectively, and only the social bit of it came naturally, as far as I understand. 

Or, as some people mentioned in their replies, maybe they are just going through something. What seem trivial to some people might mean the world to some others.

• Like 2

I try (not always successfully, mind) to look at things like that in a broader context, because context is really bloody important when it comes to people's moods and emotions.

If that person always flies off the handle at the slightest thing, taking everything as a personal affront and finding fault in even the most innocuous statements (and there are a couple of people here who do that on a regular basis) then I know those people are beyond any kind words that I might be able to offer. Those people are the drama-loving, drama-fostering, drama-needing queens of Second Life. They can't live without it; even the ones who state in their profiles that they hate drama. (Hell, especially those that have those profile statements.)

However, if a person generally comes across as (mostly) stable and non-reactionary and then one day they react poorly to some perceived slight, I will err on the side of compassion and assume that Real Life is treating them badly that day. With those people I'm 99% certain that - after a day or two - life will be kind to them again and their equilibrium will be restored.

Sure, the 'always flies off the handle' person might be having a bad life instead of a bad day, but if a person needs their misery to be validated by constant proof that Everybody On An Internet Forum Hates Them then they should probably be seeking help elsewhere, and not on said internet forum.

• Like 16

it´s a mix I guess... Life´s usually a mis.. it´s dramaqueens, insecure people, instable people, mental  illnesses, bad days... and sometimes it´s people being rude and then go "oh hahahahahah it´s all a joke don´t take everything so personal" everytime you just don´t find their stuff funny and they were clearly intentional insulting... cos there´s quite the bunch of D´s  out there, too, being insensitive and just rude (damn it´s really hard for me to type it without harsh language.... XD)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

if a person needs their misery to be validated by constant proof that Everybody On An Internet Forum Hates Them then they should probably be seeking help elsewhere, and not on said internet forum

It has recently become alarmingly clear that there is a significant contingent of people who bear a perpetual grudge against anyone who does not agree with them and /or follow their example in all things. IOW Anyone who is different from them in any way.

Any problems they have, they blame on these groups. Nothing is ever their own fault. In SL it’s Griefers, Scammers, Hackers, Avatars Doing Disapproved Things,  etc. An endless list.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Agree with Galli but would add that this has become a place for a few. A miniscule few compared to the SL user base.

List those that post..compare to logged in.

Not sure I understand but by significant contingent I mean globally. Let’s just call it authoritarianism in all its many forms. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

Just now, Clover Jinx said:

What's a record? *ducks*

Analog CD's

A CD is (other than a financial investment) a "Compact Disk."  Originally called a worm drive (write once, readonly drive) it was the death of Floppys.

A floppy is hat with a wide brim used to store data.

Data is an android.

Androids are iphone/ipad without Apple markups.

And that's where babies come from!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.