SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

55 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

And those regions were like that when resident bought or rented them.

Second that emotion.

It is one thing to connect areas of protected water that were previously unconnected. It is another thing to grant protected water access to parcels that originally had no access.

Connecting protected water areas contributes to our infrastructure and enables activities and roleplay that benefit our virtual world.

Residents that desire to reside on a parcel adjacent to protected water should MOVE to such a parcel. Linden Lab is under no obligation (moral or otherwise) to provide protected water access retroactively.

Linden Lab should be commended for providing so much protected water access in Bellisseria at such low cost to residents.

THANK YOU

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

@Abnor Mole

Your explanation for Satori's "two region gap" is.... not correct.

In circumstances where a single column of void spaces exists between two continents, one would not even require draw distance to be decreased to enjoy uninterrupted sea views, as a simple visit to any surrounding sim region close to Fantasseria will easily demonstrate!

Two continents narrowly separated by a single 256m wide water region width would only be in visual range of each other with a draw distance set to 256m or above; and only then at the coastline. Those who prefer a sea view would only need to lower their draw distance slightly below 256m to hide the opposite continent.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moles
1 minute ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Abnor Mole

Your explanation for Satori's "two region gap" is.... not correct.

In circumstances where a single column of void spaces exists between two continents, one would not even require draw distance to be decreased to enjoy uninterrupted sea views, as a simple visit to any sim region close to Fantasseria will easily demonstrate!

Two continents narrowly separated by a single 256m wide water region width would only be in visual range of each other with a draw distance set to 256m and only then at the coastline. Those who prefer a sea view would lower their draw distance below 256m to hide the opposite continent.

We made the call to keep it 2 spaces to avoid the possibility completely. Whether it would take 36 regions to fill that space or 18 is a moot point because neither of those are possible, just like it's a moot point whether you think it was the correct call. Do you want to go enjoy what we've spent several weeks making possible or do you want to keep telling us we are wrong (need to do more, didn't do it the way you wanted, etc) and pushing for something that we've said over and over is not possible... in which case I can just close the thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 16

I second that, thanks to the moles, Bellisseria is a great thing that happened to SL, and the Lab obviously.

More water regions, sure, but who would pay for it? Houses are paid, each house represents a premium membership, honest I don't know the occupation rate, but near my places they are all claimed, even the one that are empty (people still like to go to the sky, and others just stay empty but owned).

I wish I could have everything I wanted, sadly it is not possible, or it costs a lot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather see stuff about wanting a new mainland ocean and all the rest moved to the mainland forum, because it's a derail of the topic here, and really unfair if it ends up getting the thread locked.

In recent recaps, they've been clearing the old working areas, so it might be we'll see new ones popping up soon. The older theme house updates, bigger houses and new community regions are the pending projects we've been told about. Plus the edges of sakura and the top of log land are waiting to be done.

Releases are continuing of the chalet coastline (mainly houseboats with some chalets and stilts). There are some stilt regions and the fantasy coastline to go. Everything else is newer (newbrooke edges and the new houseboat regions), though they could release in any order.

Also, the moles keep dropping things, so keep an eye out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As much as I am a crazy sailor, even dabbling in murderous flying contraptions at a time, so in short, I enjoy mainland travel a lot, but it's no point demanding to have water respective air (also known as the introduction of a mainland covenant and tons of homestead regions) everywhere. We can sail through a multitude of continents nowadays, widely expanding the reach of travel through the expansion of Bellisseria. Both LL and the Moles have put a lot of work to make this possible and I'd rather want to point that out than to turn up my nose at it all and keep complaining that we won't tack through every single little channel with a tall ship. 

It is what it is and that's a lot better than everything we had the years before. Lots of work for example went into the reliability of region crossings and it has been a truly long time that I'd have needed three or four boats for an 80 regions trip. I think that's a great return value for my premium and tier payments which I wouldn't even have to invest into for sailing through Bellisseria.

So a big Thank You to everyone who's making this all possible and works on improving it even further.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

The people who own land there on the mainland aren't "common people". If they own land on mainland they are premium members too.

Indeed Abnor. Then you would expect that those Premium Members have the same rights, when they live on the coast? unfortunately that is not the case. They pay the same money Abnor (...) 

I also understand that we're done talking now, you Moles don't feel like it. I'm going to try it with other Lindens,...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Question about protected coastlines... (for Abnor). If mainland people buy/rent land and can expect it to stay the same, could Bellisseria residents also expect the same? Would a coastline suddenly be blocked without warning?

No, in Bellisseria the coastlines are Linden Land so it is not possible to block them

• Like 1

• Moles
20 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Question about protected coastlines... (for Abnor). If mainland people buy/rent land and can expect it to stay the same, could Bellisseria residents also expect the same? Would a coastline suddenly be blocked without warning?

If a parcel is next to a void (no region exists) there is no implied guarantee that the Lab could not decide to place a region there at some point at the Lab's discretion. I think what some people are missing is that they are also under no obligation to do so either. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 4

@Abnor Mole

Question. Imagine a continent edge region like Khan (for example) becomes abandoned and then goes into the LL Maintenance group,  LL would then restore Khan back to its default terrain and water settings.

Would they also then automatically add in missing protected boat channel(s) where none existed before, before releasing the region back to market for sale and purchase?

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Abnor Mole

Question. Imagine a continent edge region like Khan (for example) becomes abandoned and then goes into the Maintenance group,  LL would then restore Khan back with its default terrain and water settings.

Would they also then automatically add in missing protected boat channel(s) where none existed before, before releasing the region back to market for sale and purchase?

They're under no obligation to do so, and stand to make more profit by selling off all the land (and water). That's why the coastlines are a mess in the first place. Would they consider doing what you're asking? Of course, and my guess is they would go ahead with it, but there's nothing 'automatic' about it.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention the void in newbrooke, which I'm guessing they left so they could get on with putting the coast together first. It'll almost certainly be newbrooke houses, but whether they'll be cloned regions or not isn't obvious yet. Could be a nice area to work in some little community spots.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madonna666 said:

You can fly now from Bellisseria right up to Nautilus unhindered. To me that is the best thing ever 😁

Further than that even. I flew my 'copter from my mainland home in central Sansara, through Bellisseria, Satori, Nautilus, and ended up at my friend's place in Corsica. Didn't hit even one 0-second security orb (though I did crash into a low-flying skybox at one point when I was paying more attention to the map than the sky)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

If a parcel is next to a void (no region exists) there is no implied guarantee that the Lab could not decide to place a region there at some point at the Lab's discretion. I think what some people are missing is that they are also under no obligation to do so either. 

So the Lab may or may not add coastline to these void adjacent regions?  Deciding to not add coastline there would be very disappointing.  I'm not sure my OCD could handle it.  

image.png.a8f8655001000da4b5bed841dd41962f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Moles
50 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Abnor Mole

Question. Imagine a continent edge region like Khan (for example) becomes abandoned and then goes into the LL Maintenance group,  LL would then restore Khan back to its default terrain and water settings.

Since that region at its original default terrain and water setting doesn't have water at the edge along its entire length for a boat channel and one wouldn't actually lead very far even if it did... probably not.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Every boater in SL must post in this thread.  When I am out and about in a boat (which can be for hours at a time)  I never see anyone...  Ever.  I know sailors are a vocal bunch, but I don't think your numbers are what you think they are. People want roads, too, or air space for flying.  Everyone wants infrastructure for their pet hobbies and seems to feel entitled to demand it.  There is no harm in asking a couple times for what you want, but SL is for a very wide variety of activities.  Improvements take time and our builders have constraints to create under.  If you want something built just for you and 20 friends, get together and make it happen.  Our free and paid memberships offer a lot of good areas to explore by water, land, and air.  More areas are added and things get improved all the time.  It's okay to move on to other areas that aren't the coast of Sansara, but there is a new connecting area to use right now.  Have fun.

Now back to SSP. My dream houseboat is in a region that is not yet named.  My foot is tapping in anticipation of a release I will probably not even be home for, but I check every single evening when I get home from work anyway.  Time to lose that red border!!!!  

/me tries to crack a whip, but is so clumsy she ends up smacking herself instead... dang it....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

So the Lab may or may not add coastline to these void adjacent regions?  Deciding to not add coastline there would be very disappointing.  I'm not sure my OCD could handle it. 

Most of the current discussion isn't about the Linden Homes. There's no reason for us to assume that the coasts won't be finished off. We've been warned in the past that sharp drops to void shouldn't be considered a water view, as it'll almost certainly get a region there. What is very low odds is a twenty region ocean attached to that coast.

Putting it another way, even fantasy has a full coast edge, and that's separate from everything else. The moles like their finished coasts as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Here is the thing. Linden Lab is not in a position to make commitments about regions. I feel confident that everyone wants to complete the Bellisseria coastlines but it will not be done until there is a business case for it. I am overjoyed that, evidently,  there was a business case to spawn enough regions to join Belli to Satori at Stromberg. Note that no commitment was ever made to do that... yet it was done.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I'm sure the Lab could find two unoccupied regions in one of the old Linden Home continents to make up for it (I've noticed that big chunks of them are gone already). 

When @Maitimo mentioned that chunks of the old homes were gone, I checked on an old home. It was there, but I don't remember what the continent looked like. On the map I found four old LH continents, but only remember 2 or 3.  Were continents split? Is this what Maitimo means by chunks of homes are already gone? Or,  are some LHs really gone? 😵111873263_oldlindenhomes.thumb.png.088b4178e9d6caae8274aa1c605afeb6.png  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Further than that even. I flew my 'copter from my mainland home in central Sansara, through Bellisseria, Satori, Nautilus, and ended up at my friend's place in Corsica. Didn't hit even one 0-second security orb (though I did crash into a low-flying skybox at one point when I was paying more attention to the map than the sky)

Oh I've done that....in a 737 and ended up on someone's house (sorry if you're reading this!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Moles

Here is the thing to remember. We want many of the same thing you all want. We are just in the position of knowing more of the ins and outs to know if something will work or if it will not... because that is our job. We have to know the difference between what is possible and what we only wish were possible. We are blessed with being able to actually make many of the things that are possible happen. How many of you imagined for a moment 3 or 4 years ago that through a LOT of hard work we would actually connect the continents?

We are not sitting on the sidelines with no skin in the game computerchair quarterbacking telling people how they should do their jobs. We are the ones actually doing it, day in and day out and we're able to pull off some pretty amazing stuff. We love doing this and we love making these things happen. It's a wonderful feeling when we can give you all something as tremendous as a protected route to the Blake Sea.

You know what kills that feeling? The thing that makes us question why we bother? When it seems like it's still not enough or people act like they are being told no because we just don't want to do their super amazing idea; or we just want to be mean; or we don't know what we are talking about; or they are going to go over our heads and "talk to the manager" as if they're going to get a different answer. smh.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 21