SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

GAETA V to SANSARA - by boat - COMPLETED!

(Route: GAETA V, Corsica, Nautilus, Satori, Bellisseria(1), Jeogeot, Bellisseria(2), SANSARA)

FIRST! My trusty "Bat Boat" and I have just crossed through all the connected mainland and Bellisseria seas!

1063824654_Giuseppe16Aug2022.thumb.jpg.3b7b48ef5d4a47c899d290486fb0a37b.jpg

Start Time: 02:07:07 SLT (16 August 2022) Giuseppe (GaetaV)

1800428773_GaetaVtoSansaraRoute16Aug2022.thumb.png.809566e484168b01af9b4ea6fda4bf99.png

1335495033_Osmium16Aug2022.thumb.jpg.36a9a756076afee87b1fe1ccb1c1f59d.jpg
Finish Time: 04:50:17 SLT (16 August 2022) Osmium (Sansara)

Total Time: 2h:47m:10s

Sim Regions: 589 (Trip Logged)

Total Distance: 126.64 km (78.6 miles)

:)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• Moles

Unfortunately, perpetually hosting homestead water regions is not free. If it were we would already have filled those parts of grid with a huge ocean, but that isn't going to happen. There has to be compelling justification for the cost of every homestead we make and the overhead costs it incurs.

We came up with a creative way to connect to the existing protected waterways for you that only required a small handful of them. yw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

c37d5aa79e671b8eb1eee94a25e1f57a.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

If it were we would already have filled those parts of grid with a huge ocean, but that isn't going to happen.

Thank you very much for your reply Abnor.

Secondlife is a great sailing simulator. It is a pity that this standard apparently cannot grow with the size of the new buildings. Of course there are costs associated with homestead water sims. But you could have calculated that, right? Countless amounts of housing + this + that. You are not going to deliver houses without roofs, because roofs are too expensive?

I'm very sorry, but then build less houses and some more water sims,.. Because the picture is skewed.

(I have no inside information, but Bellisseria filled in with water sims would be a lot more attractive for the users. Moreover, I don't know whether all houses are requisitioned - and there are no vacancies - by the Premium Members. It is therefore possible that I'm completely wrong).

• Haha 1

Of course, if the intention is to separate the Premium Members from the 'Common People' in East Sansara and South-West Satori, then I can explain the impenetrable lagoons created between the continents.
But then it is strange that everything is currently being done to unite the inhabitants of Bellisseria and those of the old land, isn't it?

An event to improve this will start tomorrow. Maybe there is more money for watersims if connection between the inhabitants of the continents is so important? Ask your CEO Abnor :)

----
Welcome to NatureCon 2022! (August 18th - August 31st)

Our mission is to inspire connections between related SL communities and organizations through a shared love of exploration and expressions of nature in SL. NatureCon 2022 is a two-week virtual conference seeking to unite and inspire collaboration between Bellisseria and Mainland organizations under the shared goal of promoting exploration across the grid.

Look: http://natureconsl.site/
---- 

• Haha 1

@Derrick Linden@Abnor Mole 

Thanks for the Satori-Bellisseria water linkup at Stromberg, I appreciate, enjoy and like it a lot and all,

BUT....

559309287_Jeogoetnewcoastalsims.thumb.PNG.b8b89ebc051594fba2c5e1513600cfa9.PNG

^ You created 18 new coastal water regions along existing landlocked coastline at northern Jeogeot in April 2019.

Fantasseria.thumb.jpg.58382cdf335be1118a4118de2998d4e2.jpg

^ You created Fantasseria with a single region wide space between it and Jeogeot continent. (And the other Bellisseria sub-continents)

So why did you build Newbrooke to the west of Satori with a double region wide void gap , instead of just a single void?

A single region void would have "only" needed 18 new water regions to fill it to potentially create a new common sea strait running between Bellisseria and Satori. But instead, a double region wide void was created, which requires 36 water regions to fill!

You could add/relocate another group/column of Houseboat regions to the east of Newbrooke, narrowing the void to a single region wide space, which 17 water regions could then (theoretically) fill, instead of 34. 

133926119_NewbrookeNewSingleGap17Aug2022.thumb.png.cff5c8beb60b49b062452079cc744091.png

^ Alternatively, the entire north of Newbrooke (bordering Satori) could be shifted one region space east! 😜

And if you did do that, don't forget to save and move SSPDeep Anchor down next to Klebb to reuse it. Then you would need "only" 16 new water regions to create the full "Satori Strait" between the two continents,  which most people living and using that area wanted!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Abnor Mole

I just wanna thank you and the contingent of Moles who have been continuously working so hard on projects that make our lives better, beautiful and worth exploring. I can only imagine how hard it is when people constantly clamor and berate yall for not doing more, more, more. 

What you have given us has been bounds beyond the original Linden homes, and each new style sees yall expanding and creating more for us to work with and customize our new Linden homes. The patience the Moles show us overeager residents, and the attention to detail that they give every region is amazing. 

Please remember, for every resident that is telling you to do more, more, more and has their list of demands, there are many more of us who are simply amazed and grateful for what yall have created for us ~ that Linden Labs never actually had to do......

So Thank You!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 2

@Persephone Starlight

I'm not asking for "more", I'm asking for fairer and better solutions to southern Satori's landlocked "coastline" problems.

LL created that mess themselves long ago by carelessly selling off 99of south-west and south-east Satori "coastline" without reserving their outer borders with protected water channels or fringing them with coastal water homestead regions. However, LL didn't repeat that mistake in northern Satori, which is a very popular and well-connected area.

But I am asking for "more" solutions to other similar coastal problems that still exist in Sansara, Jeogeot, Heterocera, Gaeta I and Zindra continents too.

These other mainland continents have numerous and various problems that all seem to be neglected and forgotton about, because there is an unfair bias - they're mainland continents, not Bellisseria, which is all that LL apparently cares about and prioritises these days.

This thing we all use is still called "Second Life", not "Bellisseria Life". I suggest LL treat the mainland with more fairness, attention and respect that it undeniably deserves and requires.

😞

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

Of course, if the intention is to separate the Premium Members from the 'Common People' in East Sansara and South-West Satori, then I can explain the impenetrable lagoons created between the continents.

Personally, I find that sarcasm is not a great technique when I am asking someone to do something for me.

2 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

Maybe there is more money for watersims if connection between the inhabitants of the continents is so important? Ask your CEO Abnor :)

Two small points of information here:

1.  Abnor is a Mole - a contractor to LL.  I'm pretty sure that the decision-makers for how many regions are built are Lindens, not Moles. As a project manager Abnor must participate in planning, but I would be astonished if he had the latitude to spend LL's money himself by deciding how many regions to build.  So why beat on him about this?  Abnor is being respectful to us by actually responding to posts and pointing out some of the constraints those decision makers operate within.  No good deed goes unpunished.  

2. LL does not have a CEO.  After Ebbe passed, they decided not to fill that role.  Their executive team is pretty senior and there doesn't seem to be a lot of hierarchy:   https://www.lindenlab.com/about .  A more likely decision maker for the sort of issue you are raising might be Patch Linden, VP Product Operations, to whom the Moles report.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

I don't ask for more more more, I ask for less, less houses and less house boats and water sims instead. This is because the proportions are not right (+ all the other arguments I brought in).

Moreover, it is indeed unfair - as Sarah say's - that some parts of continents can screw up with their residents. I don't believe LindenLabs doesn't have the money to fix this.

Edited by Mike McGregor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike McGregor said:

I don't ask for more more more, I ask for less, less houses and less house boats and water sims instead

That IS asking for more - because you're asking for more non-revenue generating regions versus revenue generating regions.

Currently on the land page, you'll never see more that one or two houseboat parcels available - that's because they are generally sold out and people want more - hence the reason all these new regions are full of houseboat parcels.

You want less of these parcels, that's fine, but I suggest all of the residents who are waiting on new houseboat parcels to become available wouldn't agree with your idea in the slightest.

Alternatively, you could simply purchase the 18 or so empty water regions yourself, therefore ensuring that you idea doesn't negatively impact residents keen of having their own houseboat parcel :P 

• Like 10

Having made the journey by boat yesterday, I found only one small spot where the channel is too narrow for sailing, and that's through Chloris and Atira which has a very narrow channel up the western edge.  So all that's really needed isnt a row of homestead regions all up the coast, it's just two, to the north of Hathor. 

I'm sure the Lab could find two unoccupied regions in one of the old Linden Home continents to make up for it (I've noticed that big chunks of them are gone already). 

• Like 3

• Moles
4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

^ Alternatively, the entire north of Newbrooke (bordering Satori) could be shifted one region space east!

Abnor has several times said, here and elsewhere, that a lot of the ideas people propose for Bellisseria look easy to implement until you look in detail at what we'd need to do to make them happen.    This, I fear, is one of them.

Bellisseria's scripting involves a very complex network of inter-object and inter-region communications, and communications between the regions and the land store, much of which depends on various assumptions about which parcel and object uuids are subject to change, and when.    

One of the basic assumptions with which we work is that, once regions are finally passed as ready for release, they won't ever need to move again, because this would cause all parcel and object UUIDs to change, with consequences that would need a great deal of time and effort to check and, if necessary, rectify.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

@Quartz Mole

Thankyou for your reply.

I would then suggest LL should generate/relocate another column of 17 Houseboat regions (generating more income for LL) to the east side of Newbrooke, narrowing the Satori-Bellisseria void to a single region wide column of voids, which 17 water regions could then (theoretically) fill - a much cheaper alternative to using the 34 needed and required to fill the present double region wide void.

The two opposite continents would then be in visual range of each other, separated by 256m across voids or water regions; those preferring a sea view should lower draw distance below 256m. A single column of voids there would not even require draw distance to be decreased, as Fantasseria continent easily demonstrates. 

And with these 17 additional new Houseboats regions generating additional income, perhaps there would be some spare change left over to address the narrow water channel problems apparently experienced by conventional sailors up at the nearby Chloris and Atira regions too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Having made the journey by boat yesterday, I found only one small spot where the channel is too narrow for sailing, and that's through Chloris and Atira which has a very narrow channel up the western edge.

23 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

address the narrow water channel problems apparently experienced by conventional sailors up at the nearby Chloris and Atira regions too?

The protected water channel in Chloris and Atira is 12m wide which is sufficient for sailing. Sailors learn to deal with geography and wind in Second Life, just as they do in RL. That said, we should continue to be vigilant for encroachment upon these waterways and hope that governance will respond favorably.

Flower Power has previously pointed out that the NW corner of Chuginadak could become problematic should that corner passage become surrounded by banlines and orbs.

Chuginadak Corner Crossing.jpg

• Moles
7 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

The people who own land there on the mainland aren't "common people". If they own land on mainland they are premium members too. Some of them even expressed worry that they would lose their sea view and have to look at houseboats (that is also why it is a 2 region gap, not just one). So we couldn't build houseboat regions up to their doorstep like that, nor would we want to. But as explained, the Lab cannot justify the cost of dozens of homestead regions either. That edge of the mainland is the same as it was when they bought the land. We haven't taken anything away from it. We provided a way sail along a protected route to the Blake Sea and beyond. 

And yes, I know about Naturecon. Derrick, Madori and I worked with them for the Moles to provide the regions with a display of Bellisseria content on 1/4 of the expo space... from an underwater grotto to the lighthouse on the coast to the rez zones you'll use when you arrive and leave.

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

We haven't taken anything away from it.

"We" (LL) sold off 99% of southern Satori's coastlines after Satori was created, carelessly "forgetting" to protect southern Satori's regions with protected water channels or adding an external fringe of coastal water regions.

And "Common People" don't just own that Satori land, they rent it to other "Common People" who don't have Premium Accounts.

• Like 1

• Moles
3 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"We" (LL) sold off 99% of southern Satori's coastlines after Satori was created, carelessly "forgetting" to protect southern Satori's regions with protected water channels or adding an external fringe of coastal water regions.

And "Common People" don't just own that Satori land, they rent it to other "Common People" who don't have Premium Accounts.

And those regions were like that when resident bought or rented them. Adding water regions along all those coastlines is not an option, so unless you are suggesting the Lab go back now and confiscating land along that edge to retroactively correct that that is how they are going to stay for the foreseeable future.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it. The Lab is supporting the legacy of the existing open water regions around the grid, but talk of surrounding all of the continents with a huge sailable sea is a non-starter. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 12

I would say that the roads and waterways of Satori have plenty of design weaknesses, and there are no easy fixes. There are weaknesses in the layout of Bellisseria, as a whole, but we can hope some of the gaps have a plan set, even if, for instance, there is still a choice open for the sub-type. The Newbrooke regions could easily have been something else, without changing the edges.