SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

At the moment, I see 13 new regions along the south coast (mostly just flat land at the moment), which will probably provide a completely finished east coastline for Bellevaria!  Well done, Moles!  It will be interesting to see if the new regions host stilts, houseboats, or both :)

bottom.thumb.JPG.2f164d5dfe0b05b9275bb7bb2b659478.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

At the moment, I see 13 new regions along the south coast (mostly just flat land at the moment), which will probably provide a completely finished east coastline for Bellevaria!  Well done, Moles!  It will be interesting to see if the new regions host stilts, houseboats, or both :)

bottom.thumb.JPG.2f164d5dfe0b05b9275bb7bb2b659478.JPG

Great map Nika, though there is only one region south of SSPE2243 east Thatchers Grove so it maybe more like my rough green pen diagram ;)

Also the new blue marker is along the edge so it appears that is as far as it goes (for now).

image.thumb.png.7d6982c305d157ae4fa7e8a0c4626fbf.png

Edited by Lloyd Overland
Add comment and picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Btw, I wouldn't recommend barreling out of the little river tributary that leads from Bellevaria's central river down to the coast and heading for the open sea, past the houseboats.  Looks like there's danger when you run out of water in SSPE2233 ...

disaster_001.thumb.jpg.b21cba8ba6790d3ff7b19cf3c35a5eed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Today I decided to attempt a coastal circumnavigation of the south/east Chalet Homes continent.

I started at the Buffalo Springs rez zone at the top of the continent (close to Satori) and travelled clockwise around the "lower" south/east half of the Chalet Homes continent, using the new coastal regions as well as the existing main boat channel.

I arrived back at the Buffalo Springs rez zone exactly 56 minutes and 33 seconds later, passing through a total of 74 sim regions at a speed of 15 knots (27.7 kph or 17.2 mph), covering a distance of 17.9 km (11.1 miles).

In all, quite an easy challenge to accomplish, without any obstacles or difficulty. :)

A bit later, I noticed something that I'd never noticed before. The south/east "lower" half of the Chalet Homes continent are actually two separate land masses, split by a narrow water channel, and are linked together by a single railway bridge and a series of seven low humpback road bridges between Poplar Springs and Citadel Lake.

This "hidden" water channel between Poplar Springs and Citadel Lake means its possible to travel between the main boat channel and the new coastline - without sailing around the north or south geographic extremities of the whole continent! 

I then "discovered" a second water channel that also splits the "upper" north/west half of the Chalet Homes continent, from the main boat channel at Brookside which ends up at Phloom's northern edge. As of yet, Phloom and the surrounding "upper" Chalet Homes regions have no coastline.... yet.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

This "hidden" water channel between Poplar Springs and Citadel Lake means its possible to travel between the main boat channel and the new coastline - without sailing around the north and south geographic extremities of the whole continent! 

I went through there yesterday in my Bandit 22 (using motor power). It's only fit for very small boats, that thing. And there are several low bridges. The phantom mast on my 22 got through them, but it looked silly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EbonyOverIvory said:

I went through there yesterday in my Bandit 22 (using motor power). It's only fit for very small boats, that thing. And there are several low bridges. The phantom mast on my 22 got through them, but it looked silly.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, Abnor Mole said:

For any who are interested, the winding canal that runs through Poplar Springs, Mogul, Kettel Pond and Citadel Lake can now be used as a shortcut connector for SMALL boats (pleasure craft with a low clearance, shallow draft and narrow beam) from the new regions we have been working on to the river that runs through the Chalets. Just stay out of the way of any Moles working along the coast, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to draw attention to an impressive engineering triumph on the part of the Moles.  And, of course, LL.

As a result of a trip my partner and I did yesterday , I realized that it is now possible to drive over roads all the way from point A (the rez zone in Fog Bank) to point B (the rez zone in Buffalo Springs).   Probably the longest west -> east road trip one could take would be between Jacinto (where I'm standing on the map below) and Buffalo Springs, since you have to go so far south to cross from VictoriBelle to Logland.

engineering.thumb.JPG.aa47641920874eac70b49ff525939a39.JPG

Maybe everyone but me realized this already; it was implicit in Patch's comment that the Fantasy subcontinent is the only one isolated from the rest of Belli.  That puzzled me a bit because it is connected via water.  It makes more sense to me now that we found the land route from Logland through the stilts - the Fantasy subcontinent is the only theme that you cannot drive to. 

Of course there are smaller isolated sets of regions you cannot drive to (the Pickle, Upper and Lower Clumps, various houseboats and most of the stilt islands).  Even so, the span of road-connected regions takes my breath away.

p.s. No, I have no idea why the Fantasy subcontinent disappears when one zooms way out.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

p.s. No, I have no idea why the Fantasy subcontinent disappears when one zooms way out.

That happens always with new and fairly new regions. For new regions it can take very long time (many weeks even?) before the map tiles for those way out map zoom levels are processed by the system so that those map tiles can appear on the map.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

It doesn't exist, it's just a figment of your imagination. You'll wake up and find it was all a dream 😉

25 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

That happens always with new and fairly new regions. For new regions it can take very long time (many weeks even?) before the map tiles for those way out map zoom levels are processed by the system so that those map tiles can appear on the map.

Leora weighs her options:  good sense or fantasy...  Common Sense or Magic....   hmmmmmmmmmm......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Polenth Yue said:

Cthulhu now has a generic number name. Maybe they're saving the name for something with more tentacles.

I've never noticed them doing that before!

I wonder if Belli buildout plans changed shortly before they began working on the chalet east coast.  As it stands, if you wanted to put a new theme out east of the chalets, it would be very difficult to create a way to DRIVE to it.  The whole east coast is now built out with chalets to the coast and rows of houseboats beyond them.  There are no chalet coastal regions with no homes, to insert a tunnel or immense bridges.  And I've recently seen what lengths the moles have gone to provide drivability throughout Belli.  Particularly needed for something like a midcentury modern theme ...

The ONLY place on that coast where chalets could feasibly hook up to new land is the "Hearts" region Evangeline pictured above.  It has no parcels on it, only a short bridge and section of road on the main Chalet continent. I am standing on it in the pic below. The moles could rework that into a link to a new theme.  But on the grid, there isn't a whole lot of space for a new theme right there.  Out beyond Belli, the 2-region Steubenville estate and Cedoland do not appear to be going anywhere.

1795188620_heartsclose2.JPG.acf8c78cdb1e6d179b9d4382224d830a.JPG

Below that, there is a huge space.  And I would think that a modern theme would NEED a huge space. The moles would have to find a way to hook it to LogLand.  There aren't a lot of regions on LogLand's coast that don't have homes on them (the moles have never reworked a region with homes), but Maiden Rock is an interesting possibility - no homes, a beach and a rez zone.

449751083_freespace.thumb.JPG.a8e72417260df5aa1d1be7737d7e3929.JPG

Up in the SSP area, there are 2 moles in Noir and, weirdly, 5 (yes FIVE) moles in SSP2500 (one of the chalet development regions hanging out on the edge).  Just a bit ago there were 6, so I do not think this is just a cover over SSP2500 with green dots on it.

1330858404_5moles.JPG.5c709d67ceb2d1f41ec49d5ba0d5b092.JPG

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

I still say the next theme will be north of the Chalet area, possibly extending to north of the Stilt and Log areas too if it's going to be a huge theme. Logically it ticks all the right boxes:

• the north side of the Chalet and Log themes are unfinished
  • the east / southeast side of the Chalets now has a proper coast, effectively "finishing" that area neatly in the same way the coastlines have finished off previous themes.
  • extending north allows them to complete the railway
  • extending north allows them to add protected waterways up the west coast of Satori, which would involve far fewer regions than if they went up the east coast of Satori (therefore less cost to LL whilst still achieving the goal of linking continents via sailable water)
  • Like 5