SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I found the rez zone at the treehouse dock and tried out my Bambino. Sylvia will be a slow-moving obstacle; at full throttle I got the Bambino to a little over 8 knots. I also tried the paddle wheeler (the Dixie Belle, also at Bandit) again. Size comparison:

661812162_Bambinoattreehouse.thumb.jpg.3f2d42c75e9a0428a633b93b45841a01.jpg

86950360_DixieBelleattreehouse.thumb.jpg.a7b42e80c979a9ae6e236ad5017d12e5.jpg

The narrower stretches are fine as long as nobody else is around. You wouldn't want two of these things passing there.

376100309_DixieBellenearhome.thumb.jpg.50341ac2a59c27a7c094aecaa65952fc.jpg

Steamboat pilot.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

I found the rez zone at the treehouse dock and tried out my Bambino. Sylvia will be a slow-moving obstacle; at full throttle I got the Bambino to a little over 8 knots. I also tried the paddle wheeler (the Dixie Belle, also at Bandit) again. Size comparison:

661812162_Bambinoattreehouse.thumb.jpg.3f2d42c75e9a0428a633b93b45841a01.jpg

86950360_DixieBelleattreehouse.thumb.jpg.a7b42e80c979a9ae6e236ad5017d12e5.jpg

The narrower stretches are fine as long as nobody else is around. You wouldn't want two of these things passing there.

376100309_DixieBellenearhome.thumb.jpg.50341ac2a59c27a7c094aecaa65952fc.jpg

Steamboat pilot.jpg

Must. Have. Steamboat. Now!

(And I just bought one of those crazy expensive Rattletrap boats last week, damn it!)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Must. Have. Steamboat. Now!

(And I just bought one of those crazy expensive Rattletrap boats last week, damn it!)

That's what I thought when I first saw it. I bought it then realized I'd need somewhere to sail it. I bought a 2K mainland parcel on the water (literally on the water) to dock it. I was lucky; a few months later Bellisseria came down to meet the mainland there. The boat is 40m long, 9m wide, and I've never bothered to measure how tall. Can't dock it at a houseboat.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stlshayne said:

Wondering if the double-thickness part of the train tracks here might indicate that I'm getting a little station put in behind my cabin. 

sspe.png

I was visiting that region with Faydra yesterday, and I am pretty sure it will be. There are two little islands that seem to be connectors,  and that green long mark has to be the railway. It will be an awesome area!!!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stlshayne said:

Wondering if the double-thickness part of the train tracks here might indicate that I'm getting a little station put in behind my cabin. 

sspe.png

It looks to be just a siding. There are a few of them on the network.

2 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Just found SSP605 north west of the new pink regions. Looks to be on it's own. 

ssp605.PNG.3a6f202cd9d7b63a150b60bc69128250.PNG

That looks to maybe have stuff that are Linden Homes and possibly some Linden Homes that don't yet exist. The 17th birthday bash is coming up - it would be a good time to preview a new theme.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Just found SSP605 north west of the new pink regions. Looks to be on it's own. 

ssp605.PNG.3a6f202cd9d7b63a150b60bc69128250.PNG

The original Vic regions started at SSP600, and were numbered left to right.  That region looks identical to Hyacinth.  Prepare not to be amazed if it sprouts a green (or pink?) cover before they change what's on it!

• Like 2

Where have the moles gone?

I haven't seen any working in Belli (or noticed any progress on their builds) since May 21st, at the end of that burst of activity in SSPE regions when railbed appeared and a whole bunch of parcels were defined.  Then, nothing.  There seem to generally be a couple working on the pink SSP area (new theme), but SSP605 still looks like Hyacinth.

LL has about 19 Vic regions that look ready for release, and since they are only doing releases once every few days now, I guess those could last quite a while.

The Relay may have involved them, but that's up and running.  The Birthday comes late in June, and doesn't generally involve all THAT much specialized building.

Is this what Patch meant when he said they might have to "pace themselves" because of the lack of new regions?

I hope they're doing SOMETHING, somewhere.  Nobody needs to lose income these days!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Where have the moles gone?

I haven't seen any working in Belli (or noticed any progress on their builds) since May 21st, at the end of that burst of activity in SSPE regions when railbed appeared and a whole bunch of parcels were defined.  Then, nothing.  There seem to generally be a couple working on the pink SSP area (new theme), but SSP605 still looks like Hyacinth.

LL has about 19 Vic regions that look ready for release, and since they are only doing releases once every few days now, I guess those could last quite a while.

The Relay may have involved them, but that's up and running.  The Birthday comes late in June, and doesn't generally involve all THAT much specialized building.

Is this what Patch meant when he said they might have to "pace themselves" because of the lack of new regions?

I hope they're doing SOMETHING, somewhere.  Nobody needs to lose income these days!

I think the Moles are working now on the Second Life birthday. It's a big event and preparations do take some time. 

Search for the "SL17B" regions on the grid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, aside from working on the SLB builds themselves, for the past couple of years, Moles have had to do all the jobs that Exhibitor Assistants used to do, since LL decided to make it a Lab-run event again and took those positions away from Residents.

That is a lot of work in itself, organizing who gets parcels, which parcels they get, and then when the time comes to start putting up the displays, getting all the Exhibitors and their teams added to the proper group, distribute landmarks, set their music streams, answer a million questions, etc etc etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Also, aside from working on the SLB builds themselves, for the past couple of years, Moles have had to do all the jobs that Exhibitor Assistants used to do, since LL decided to make it a Lab-run event again and took those positions away from Residents.

I did not know that!  If that means LL shifted work from unpaid (volunteer) residents to paid ones (moles), I applaud that decision.

If Ebbe is interested in another area for LL to do useful work that's currently left to volunteers, permit me to rant about one. 

<begin rant> There is a long-overdue task for a contract tech writer and a part-time (employee) editor, to update the (bizarrely) user-maintained LSL portal.  I wonder if @Dyna Mole and @Quartz Mole would agree.  The official LSL portal is not complete enough for new scripters to come up to speed.  An inane copyright battle LONG LONG ago resulted in absurdities like the following.  No need to actually READ through all this, just scan it to see the quality of the info.

OFFICIAL LSL PORTAL

Function: vector llGetSunDirection( );

Returns a normalized vector to the current sun position at the location of object containing the script. llGetSunDirection is the vector to the parcel's sun, llGetRegionSunDirection is the vector to region's sun. If there is no custom environment set for the current parcel llGetSunDirection returns the direction to the region's sun. These functions are altitude aware.

Returns a vector

That is the entire entry for this function. 

Here is what an ancient mirror of the old LSL wiki has, I have no idea how new residents find this.  If you look at the initial posts on the stickies at the top of the Scripting Forum, they are from 2011 and point to the original, now offline, version of this wiki.

ANCIENT LSL WIKI

vector llGetSunDirection()

Returns a normalized vector that points toward the sun's current position (and angle of the sim's directional light source). This vector is updated once every 10 seconds.

(As of 21 Nov 2007, when using the FirstLook WindLight viewer, llGetSunDirection will point in the general direction of the "sun" but not precisely towards it. One assumes this will be addressed eventually, but in what form is yet to be clarified. If someone IS aware of it, it would be a good idea to add details and also perhaps to link to any ongoing reference to new or revised functions that may become essential once WindLight rolls out officially? Please revise this statement for clarity. I have heard statements to the effect that solar motion under WindLight is expected to more closely simulate real world celestial mechanics, but have yet to find official confirmation of that rumor.)

The moon is directly opposite the sun at all times, so the negation of the vector returned by this function points towards the moon. (This implies that the moon is always full in SL, which is rather strange, but given the orbital oddities below, this is fairly ignorable.)

A Second Life day is 4 Earth hours long. 0:00 is midnight and 2:00 is high noon. Sunrise is at approximately 0:30 and sunset around 3:30, which results in 3 hours of daylight and only 1 hour of night-time. Refer to the chart below for PST, PDT and GMT times. There is no guarantee this data is accurate:

Phase PST PDT GMT
Sunset 2:30 AM 3:30 AM 10:30
Midnight 3:00 AM 4:00 AM 11:00
Sunrise 3:30 AM 4:30 AM 11:30
Sunset 6:30 AM 7:30 AM 14:30
Midnight 7:00 AM 8:00 AM 15:00
Sunrise 7:30 AM 8:30 AM 15:30
Sunset 10:30 AM 11:30 AM 18:30
Midnight 11:00 AM 12:00 PM 19:00
Sunrise 11:30 AM 12:30 PM 19:30
Sunset 2:30 PM 3:30 PM 22:30
Midnight 3:00 PM 4:00 PM 23:00
Sunrise 3:30 PM 4:30 PM 23:30
Sunset 6:30 PM 7:30 PM 2:30
Midnight 7:00 PM 8:00 PM 3:00
Sunrise 7:30 PM 8:30 PM 3:30
Sunset 10:30 PM 11:30 PM 6:30
Midnight 11:00 PM 12:00 AM 7:00
Sunrise 11:30 PM 12:30 AM 7:30

Effectively, the sun moves faster at night than during the day. However, an equivalent model is that the sun's orbit is uniform and circular but not centered on the world (yes, this implies that in Second Life the sun orbits the world rather than the other way around). The true center of the sun would then be at a point well above the horizon, such that the ratio of day-to-night is approximately 3:1. The normal of the sun's orbital plane would appear to be tilted about 45 degrees on the global x-axis, although it varies more than +/- 5 degrees over a Second Life year (which is approximately 10 days long).

The old wiki entry continues with more information, including the vital info that you're probably looking for when you lookup this function (how do I tell when it's night?), and 3 examples of this function's use.

A tech writer need not port the old language, which IIRC was the objection when the new portal was created.  At this end of history, it might be just as well to interview a scriptor (who might happen to have the old wiki open on their screen lol), and update with current info.  It isn't a HUGE task - lsl is a simple tool.

ETA: I want to stress that such a project would need to be focused on getting good information into the current Portal framework.  Not redesigning the Portal, not combing the internet to update the script examples, and not simply porting old (often out of date) info from the old wiki.  Just filling in the current entries with more complete, up-to-date, information.  Make it MUCH better, don't make it perfect.

Perhaps someone has ported good info into into a 3rd-party scripting environment, I don't know.  Or maybe someone's created a totally new document somewhere.  I strongly believe that LL should always have documented IT'S OWN scripting language. 

New scripters should be able to look to the official portal for good info.

<end rant>

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I did not know that!  If that means LL shifted work from unpaid (volunteer) residents to paid ones (moles), I applaud that decision.

I actually enjoyed the community run years more than the Linden run years (and have been part most years and on the ground floor as a participant or infrastructure builder or speaker and sometimes press).  I am hoping that I like this year's better than last which personally I felt was a lot of wasted space with nothing happening in many regions --  as well as a bunch of traditional parts of the event that disappeared (Cake Stage for one).   The DJ folks (not my thing) seemed to be pretty unhappy last year from comments here on the forums. So fingers crossed some of those things go better than last year.  

My exhibit is all done along with a handful of others but there is still plenty of time for the community builds.  I look forward to seeing what the Linden parts of the event are this year.   I always have enjoyed the time portal region or whatever that is officially called. I remember the first year it  showed up. Fun to look back and remember OR for new folks to see the history.  Imagine in TWENTY YEARS :D.   

BTW the birthday celebration was for MANY years run totally by the Lindens until they abandoned the project and some community members took it upon themselves to keep the event going.  I suspect there is a history of those years somewhere (the WayBack Machine likely has some answers there for those that are curious).   

ADDED:

Going back to my blog and the memory of my builds it looks like SL9B was the first community run event. I remember contacting Doc and letting him know about the machinima filming policy :D.   Last year was all Linden run and the year before a mix of both if I remember correctly.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I think it was a bad idea all the way around. They only assign a couple of Moles to handle the "land rush" phase, which means those Moles were overloaded with requests from exhibitors, while the exhibitors had to wait longer than they were used to for assistance.

I worked several past SLB events as an Exhibitor Assistant, and hate that the opportunity was taken away from residents who were glad to help out, and instead dumped on Moles, who have plenty of other work on their plates already. 

• Like 1

Hmm.  I don't know what problem LL was trying to solve by taking over SLB.  Perhaps the right solution would have been for them to participate MORE, not take over completely.

In any case, at this point there is no enthusiastic team of LSL portal maintainers that would be displaced if LL updated it.  Past contributors could be a valuable resource to aid in such a project.

27 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Hmm.  I don't know what problem LL was trying to solve by taking over SLB.  Perhaps the right solution would have been for them to participate MORE, not take over completely.

I agree it would have been better, for many reasons, to just be more involved rather than snatching it away from the people who had gladly done the job for years.

I can't speak for the Moles who wound up doing the work, but if I were them, I'd rather be building Bellisseria than sending out group invites and setting streams for exhibitors. Seems a waste of their skills, IMO, and I know we'd rather have them making new shiny things for us in Linden Home land. 

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I can't speak for the Moles who wound up doing the work, but if I were them, I'd rather be building Bellisseria than sending out group invites and setting streams for exhibitors. Seems a waste of their skills, IMO, and I know we'd rather have them making new shiny things for us in Linden Home land. 

If I were a mole, I'd appreciate not doing the same task all the time. It's something a bit different to do an event. But I do think they could use a few more volunteers for the exhibitor side. There are two non-mole volunteers this time... a few more would make it a lot smoother.