SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, Hendrix Portal said:

in BellSouth the First

That's it.  I'm starting a thread on geographic naming, hope the Moles participate!  We need moar names of prominent geographic features!

I've seen the horizon water issue in 3 regions that I can think of; never reported it because didn't know if it was actually a bug, "just the way things are", or a temporary artifact of the buildout process.  Altho it's completely repeatable, it's tough to describe.

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

We discovered a problem with raising the water level to add water features along regions where the horizon on the coastline is visible.

Question: if you're building in an interior region where a water horizon is NOT visible, will you still do water features using SL water?  (I realize that, because of the terracing, few or none of the new regions you're working on fit that description).  Just curious.  Belli's large inland lakes are truly lovely.  I've never noticed the problem along Lake Fourze's coast, for example.

• Like 2

These new regions we are building lack "interior water things" on purpose. We discovered a problem with raising the water level to add water features along regions where the horizon on the coastline is visible. When the viewer renders the horizon it extends the water out to meet it at the same level as the region you are in if there is no region there or if it isn't loaded. What can happen is you look out over the houses near the beach and the water there is at 20m, but the water in the region further out to sea (if there is one) is at 30m. This creates an unsightly gap in the water in many cases depending on draw distance. So as far as these regions go... we can have a coastline with pretty views out over the open ocean or we can have interior water things, but we cannot have both. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain this!

I'd noticed the newer Vic regions looked different from the map, and they should when being hand made.  

I would tell my blog friends that strolling the streets of the new Vic regions is lovely.  Mountain and Ocean views, and I especially love seeing a unique twist once in a while to how the landscaping is placed in new and creative ways by the Moles, and some really lovely parks as well. 

Regions even side by side in this area can have their own Unique style of landscaping placement, almost a signature look of one mole to another.

I've no doubt, those looking for a Victorian will be exceptionally pleased with the attention to detail.    

Edited by Mitch Merricks
  • Like 2

These new regions we are building lack "interior water things" on purpose. We discovered a problem with raising the water level to add water features along regions where the horizon on the coastline is visible. When the viewer renders the horizon it extends the water out to meet it at the same level as the region you are in if there is no region there or if it isn't loaded. What can happen is you look out over the houses near the beach and the water there is at 20m, but the water in the region further out to sea (if there is one) is at 30m. This creates an unsightly gap in the water in many cases depending on draw distance. So as far as these regions go... we can have a coastline with pretty views out over the open ocean or we can have interior water things, but we cannot have both. 

Ahh, I knew there had to be a reason! Thank you for the explanation, Abnor.

After all this time, I look at the world through jaded-colored glasses, missing that scenario. While I'm certain I've seen the horizon gap effect, it has been relegated to the dustbin of SL peculiarities I've learned to ignore/unsee such as neck seams and super-size.   👴

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

That's it.  I'm starting a thread on geographic naming, hope the Moles participate!  We need moar names of prominent geographic features!

I have tried to apply geographic names in my travelogue posts in the Photos thread, but have little hope that the names will stick.  All I can do is be creative and logical, and  hope for the best.  We don't have signs on most things -- they would be intrusive in a lot of places -- and we don't have an official map, so I don't know how we would ever make a record of what we are calling places.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have tried to apply geographic names in my travelogue posts in the Photos thread, but have little hope that the names will stick.  All I can do is be creative and logical, and  hope for the best.  We don't have signs on most things -- they would be intrusive in a lot of places -- and we don't have an official map, so I don't know how we would ever make a record of what we are calling places.

I tend to call specific places simply by region name and feature, like Hyacinth Bridge, Daulton Park, Fairfax Beach, Red Hook RR Station, etc. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. Lake Tatakaka Lake, anyone? If it's popular, it might catch on with others. If not, there's always the SLURL. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I tend to call specific places simply by region name and feature, like Hyacinth Bridge, Daulton Park, Fairfax Beach, Red Hook RR Station, etc. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. Lake Tatakaka Lake, anyone? If it's popular, it might catch on with others. If not, there's always the SLURL. 🤷‍♂️

I tend to do the same, Like the Bridges of OldRidge.  I suspect it's enough working on this scale just coming up with region names.  In Bay City, there are street signs that help when identifying areas, but BC is a much smaller scale than Bellisseria. 

Clearly the new theme will be revealed in the next couple of days, but as Patch says, "Timing is everything!", and I see clues as to release timing in the pic.  Both of them are dressed for a nice day with a chill in the air - Patch has long rolled-up jeans, and his helper is in long sleeves and a sweater-vest.  They're drinking lemonade - a summertime drink, but they're not dressed for full summer, so I call it spring.  Possibly early spring, given the helper's sweater.

Belli appears to run on a North American calendar, so I'm doubting the release will be before mid-March. (Vernal Equinox is on March 19th this year).

Fantasy Faire runs April 23rd - May 10th, and for sure they'll want to auction off a gorgeous home in the new theme.

So, release somewhere between March 15th-April 15th?

Incidentally, @Patch Linden, I'd keep an eye on your little guy.  Looks to me like your nice pink polo will be acquiring some red spots as soon as he swings his arm!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per the Lab Gab, themes 6, 7, and 8 are all currently being built.  They have decided on themes 9 & 10 - and have more possible ideas.

And Patch made a teasing "maybe" comment about connecting to Mainland

and  he just said there will some kind of offering regarding linden  homes in the Premium Plus (or should I say plooooose).

I really hope that there'll be an ultra modern home in the works...

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 4

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per the Lab Gab, themes 6, 7, and 8 are all currently being built.  They have decided on themes 9 & 10.

This is the first I've heard of more than 8 themes.   That is good.  When I was listening to Ebbe last week and he talked about less new features while working on internal/infrastructure (moving to cloud, etc) work, I wondered if that was going to impact the work on the new homes, but apparently not :)

I've haven't listened to today's Lab Gab yet - I've got two pre-schoolers running amok in the living room, and after they leave, a gym workout with my mom - and then finally, after that, time to relax, listen to the Lab Gab and try to get into the log cabin reveal area :)

• Like 4

So, we've been speculating that the work regions SSP1001-1035 are destined to be the first release of theme 5 (which we now know to be log homes).  If true, that would make 35 regions in the log home release.  The reveal region has 8 homes in it, and although a couple of corners have been left mountainous, the cabins feel a bit cramped to me, since their footprints are so large.  If LL averages 9 homes per region, that's 315 homes total.  Perhaps there's some other area where log homes are being developed, we will see.  Or perhaps they can quickly build out more, perhaps they built this area for simple cloning. 

And maybe those 8 untouched regions above the newer, unnamed Vic regions will have some log homes in them as well.

Anyway, if there's only 300-400 log homes in the release, I would expect they would all be taken in less than 6 hours or so.  The campers were about 700, weren't they, and were pretty much taken within 8 hours.  I believe the VIcs were about 600 in the first release, and then the coastal release about a week later added many more?

(Btw, a side note.  The redwoods clock in at about 100LI each, so in terms of landscaping resources, they're roughly equivalent to the Vic regions' willows)

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

So, we've been speculating that the work regions SSP1001-1035 are destined to be the first release of theme 5 (which we now know to be log homes).  If true, that would make 35 regions in the log home release.  The reveal region has 8 homes in it, and although a couple of corners have been left mountainous, the cabins feel a bit cramped to me, since their footprints are so large.  If LL averages 9 homes per region, that's 315 homes total. 

The number of Victorians at their reveal was approx. that same number, give or take a few, yet the actual regions still have roughly 20 homes per region - and the Victorians seem to be as large or larger than the Log homes.  Since the plots are 1024 sqm, I expect to see that most regions will have the typical 20 homes per, as an average anyway, when released.  If they don't keep them roughly that dense, then it pretty much doubles the number of regions needed to put out their desired number of homes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The number of Victorians at their reveal was approx. that same number, give or take a few, yet the actual regions still have roughly 20 homes per region - and the Victorians seem to be as large or larger than the Log homes.  Since the plots are 1024 sqm, I expect to see that most regions will have the typical 20 homes per, as an average anyway, when released.  If they don't keep them roughly that dense, then it pretty much doubles the number of regions needed to put out their desired number of homes.

I suppose you're right.  The reveal region has hills all around the edges of the demos, and a small border of water before the region boundary, so I concur.  A 1024 is a 1024, regardless of how the house sits on it, and they will undoubtedly put 20/regions.  Which would put the release number at about 700 homes.

• Like 2

• Moles
24 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

Does anyone know what is going on with the regions that begin with "LR"?

Yes, and they have absolutely nothing to do with Linden Homes, if that's the question.  😉  They've been around for a very long time, although reconfigured a couple of years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1