SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

22 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Personally, I'm thinking end of (northern hemisphere) summer.  Remember, he mentioned a while ago a very aggressive schedule to introduce all remaining themes by the end of the year. 

As for Halloween, I don't know how the Moles could top last Halloween in Millbank, but I'd love for them to try!  (pic courtesy @Abnor Mole)

2039879720_HHNGlowingHouseboat.thumb.png

I think it's gonna be even better, Patch also said they're working on something for the Halloween when he was asked about upcoming projects, I don't remember him focusing or talking much about the other themes tho.

• Like 5

On 7/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Personally, I'm thinking end of (northern hemisphere) summer.  Remember, he mentioned a while ago a very aggressive schedule to introduce all remaining themes by the end of the year. 

As for Halloween, I don't know how the Moles could top last Halloween in Millbank, but I'd love for them to try!  (pic courtesy @Abnor Mole)

A very aggressive schedule? I don't like the sound of that.

• Confused 1

• Moles
On 7/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

While the platform is likely not something they meant to leave behind, there actually are small boxes that can be found up in the sky that are owned by the Moles and are meant to be there.  They are the region controllers for the homes and are always located in a public land area in the region.

The little platforms at <2,2,1345> are meant to be there.    They hold some essential components and relays, and it's easier for me to work on those if I've got a small platform on which to stand and rez things than if I'm flying.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

A very aggressive schedule? I don't like the sound of that.

I should have said, "ambitious".  Nothing sinister!

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The little platforms at <2,2,1345> are meant to be there.    They hold some essential components and relays, and it's easier for me to work on those if I've got a small platform on which to stand and rez things than if I'm flying.

Heyhey Quartz!  Is that you, up in SSP83X?  Long day!  Final touchup on the Fantasy Home controllers? 

(A girl can dream!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Moles
1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Heyhey Quartz!  Is that you, up in SSP83X?  Long day!  Final touchup on the Fantasy Home controllers? 

(A girl can dream!)

What happens in SSP83X stays in SSP83X, so I fear I can't comment either way.

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

Delighted to see all the activity along the northern edge of Bellevaria (chalets)!  As I perused it on the map, I was struck by a thought.  I've been thinking the Fantasy theme would go in to that big space south of LogLand.  But ... you know ... several intrepid explorers have been threading their way though the hazards of Satori to find a not-completely-painful route from the Blake Sea to Belli.  There is no easy way. 

WILD SPECULATION ALERT!!!

Sometimes, if you can't go through an obstacle, the best way is to build a bypass.

There's a boatload of empty grid space off the south coast of Satori.  What do you think, could you get to the Blake Sea with only another 2 themes?  Or maybe 3?

1900428764_blakesea1.JPG.8f0eaac2c95dc5564aa15c6b0fb2ddb5.JPG

• Like 11

To connect Bellisseria to "The Blake" via protected water, all one has to do is lay down 18 protected water regions from Carmine Sky to Stromberg. Once in Stromberg, there are protected water channels and regions all the way to the regions that begin with "Blake Sea". Of course, there could be more than 18 regions and the regions could contain Bellisseria Linden Home Houseboats, which would all immediately be sold :)

Bellisseria to Blake Connecto.png

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Really? You want to have a view of the mess that is Satori's coast line?

Given that parcels that can get to the Blake are now going for hundreds of thousands of Lindens, and that whole regions recently sold for over a million lindens (when the BrendaRex regions were auctioned), YES, I do not think people would mind looking at the mess that is mainland in they got protected water access to Blake connected regions for the price of a Linden Home (around a buck a week after stipend).

And the connector stack could be moved one region to the west (connecting to Buffalo Springs) to eliminate the view, if Abnor so desired :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

To connect Bellisseria to "The Blake" via protected water, all one has to do is lay down 18 protected water regions from Carmine Sky to Stromberg. Once in Stromberg, there are protected water channels and regions all the way to the regions that begin with "Blake Sea". Of course, there could be more than 18 regions and the regions could contain Bellisseria Linden Home Houseboats, which would all immediately be sold :)

Yes.  Of course, LL could have done that at any time, but they haven't.  My observation was just that, since LL WILL be building more themes out, if they put them off the east coast of Satori, they could get connectivity to the Blake Sea without having to add any water regions just for that purpose. In general, LL seems reluctant to add water regions solely to make life easier for boaters; and I can't blame them for that, especially now that regions cost more to operate in the cloud than they did on LL's fully depreciated farm of aged servers.

But actually, LL wouldn't HAVE to confine themselves to a narrow strip off the west coast of Satori.  There is quite a bit of empty grid there as well.  Maybe not enough for a new theme, but certainly enough to generously finish off the north coast of Bellevaria, and then add some mixed-theme "chunks" and a passel of houseboats and stilts, were they so inclined.

stromberg2.thumb.JPG.2d9d3fa4c9561b43c8ed4130b737d516.JPG

One tiny piece of evidence supporting that possibility is a private region near Satori that appears to have been recently moved or abandoned.

stromberg.JPG.90de6d226d6d4ce58e7d28b8a36c57b0.JPG

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

But actually, LL wouldn't HAVE to confine themselves to a narrow strip off the west coast of Satori.  There is quite a bit of empty grid there as well.  Maybe not enough for a new theme, but certainly enough to generously finish off the north coast of Bellevaria, and then add some mixed-theme "chunks" and a passel of houseboats and stilts, were they so inclined.

Yes! I always assumed that this is exactly what they would do, as the northeast part of the Chalet regions are unfinished. Also this is the way they connected to Jeogeot. BTW, I am not buying that the additional expense of AWS regions is a problem for expansion... seems crazy that they would have moved to AWS if they would be cash flow negative on every region.

Bellisseria to Jeogeot Connector..png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Delighted to see all the activity along the northern edge of Bellevaria (chalets)!  As I perused it on the map, I was struck by a thought.  I've been thinking the Fantasy theme would go in to that big space south of LogLand.  But ... you know ... several intrepid explorers have been threading their way though the hazards of Satori to find a not-completely-painful route from the Blake Sea to Belli.  There is no easy way. 

WILD SPECULATION ALERT!!!

Sometimes, if you can't go through an obstacle, the best way is to build a bypass.

There's a boatload of empty grid space off the south coast of Satori.  What do you think, could you get to the Blake Sea with only another 2 themes?  Or maybe 3?

1900428764_blakesea1.JPG.8f0eaac2c95dc5564aa15c6b0fb2ddb5.JPG

Do you dare enter...The Belli Triangle? 😄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle

Bermuda-Triangle.thumb.png.9376057d0af0f8ccb44e6a7f821b8eaa.png

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Yes! I always assumed that this is exactly what they would do, as the northeast part of the Chalet regions are unfinished. Also this is the way they connected to Jeogeot. BTW, I am not buying that the additional expense of AWS regions is a problem for expansion... seems crazy that they would have moved to AWS if they would be cash flow negative on every region.

Bellisseria to Jeogeot Connector..png

Obviously we do not know the plan but we do know that LL have  created new connecting water regions during the southward expansion of Bellisseria. They did so then to improve the connectivity of the newly created land and also, I'd guess, to improve SL more generally. The pictures below are from past forum posts, apologies I only captured the maps so hope the original posters don't mind me re-posting them without credit. The reason for doing so is to illustrate the point that while the northern Jeogeot additions in yellow were necessary to connect to Bellisseria the additions further south were not, they allowed access to Jeogeot Gulf. This was a wonderful thing for LL to do and, fingers crossed, I hope they do it again in south east Satori!

To show my point visually drawing on the current world map the green lines were added regions allowing Bellisseria to connect, the turquoise was added to allow onward southern connectivity for travellers. It was an amazing thing to do then and I have a feeling they will do it again as the benefit of Blake access and the many other connections from adding the 18 regions is even greater.

unnamed2.png

unnamed1.png

unnamed3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

BTW, I am not buying that the additional expense of AWS regions is a problem for expansion... seems crazy that they would have moved to AWS if they would be cash flow negative on every region.

Buy it or not, the expense of adding regions in the cloud is not trivial.

2 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Buy it or not, the expense of adding regions in the cloud is not trivial.

Concerning operational costs and the AWS uplift, we can only know what we are told. In https://modemworld.me/2021/06/24/sl18b-meet-the-lindens-grumpity-linden-summary-with-video/, Inara Pey reports what Grumpity Linden, VP of Product, said at SL18B.

"With AWS, Second Life is now hosted by Amazon Web Services (AWS).  The advantages are:
- LL able to focus on core competency of running and enhancing SlL and not have to worry about managing the underpinning hardware and infrastructure.
- There are no longer periodic blocks of capital expenditure that must planned and be made to replace aged / depreciated hardware, etc.
- LL can be more nimble in responding to the needs of SL by having a large pool of server types from which to choose from, and the ability to “tier up” to new and faster hardware as the need arises.
- This offers the potential for new and enhanced land product offerings, the potential to geolocate servers closer to their primary audience etc.
The move has not reduced operational costs: the servers are still running 24/7, and Amazon obviously charge for this, and financial savings were not the motivator for the move: it was about ensuring SL’s longevity."

The bottom line is that the AWS uplift was strategic... it increased capability. It gives LL more flexibility in adding new regions, not the opposite.

Concerning a protected water connection between Bellisseria and Blake-connected regions, Grumpity deferred to Patch Linden's prior remarks at SL18B. Patch had said that such a connection was "not imminent", which suggests that it is low-priority. The region spawning machine is focused on completing the build-out of Bellisseria themes and adding the new Fantasy theme.

In https://modemworld.me/2021/06/23/sl18b-meet-the-lindens-patch-linden-a-summary-with-video-and-audio/, Inara Pey reports that Patch said

"The new Fantasy theme will be within a sub-continent rather than an overall part of Bellisseria. It will still be classified as a part of Bellisseria, but will not have a direct connection to the existing Bellisseria regions.
It has yet to be determined whether there will be air and/or water connections with the rest of the continent, or whether it will only be linked by some form of portal connection."

The bottom line is that the water connection of Bellisseria to Blake-connected regions is not a priority.

Brett Linden (VP Marketing) also spoke at SL18B. Yours truly asked him to speak about Bellisseria's success and its "secret sauce" and he spoke about "community". All well and good. To me however, it's about making a place that humans want to be and a big part of that is making places that are CONNECTED to other places. People like "old school" travel... going from A to B through a world. Look at mainland parcel prices on the world map... the parcels that humans value are the ones that are best connected (mostly on water).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Concerning operational costs and the AWS uplift, we can only know what we are told.

Exactly.  This line from the quoted text is the relevant part.

"The move has not reduced operational costs: the servers are still running 24/7, and Amazon obviously charge for this, and financial savings were not the motivator for the move: it was about ensuring SL’s longevity."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

"The new Fantasy theme will be within a sub-continent rather than an overall part of Bellisseria. It will still be classified as a part of Bellisseria, but will not have a direct connection to the existing Bellisseria regions.

It has yet to be determined whether there will be air and/or water connections with the rest of the continent, or whether it will only be linked by some form of portal connection."

@Patch Linden, this statement has puzzled and saddened me.  The Fantasy theme's appeal to me will be hugely diminished if it is not reachable via air and water, even if through a very narrow corridor.   What a delight it is to travel between our group properties!  You don't need a LOT of properties to have bunches of fun doing that, via the many routes one can devise in Belli.  All you need do is change homes once in a while, and you can see Belli through an entirely different lens.

"Some form of portal"?  If there will be a new form of portal that you can take a vehicle through, then it could work for me.  But as it stands now, a portal is just a fancy teleport.  If the Fantasy theme is only a teleport away ... well ...Rosehaven, the Fruit Islands, the Grove, Idle Rogue and Caledon are also only a teleport away.  And all of those also have strong covenants, and social occasions with, frankly, many of the typists we socialize with in Belli.  The interconnected continents of Belli keep us here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

@Patch Linden, this statement has puzzled and saddened me.  The Fantasy theme's appeal to me will be hugely diminished if it is not reachable via air and water, even if through a very narrow corridor.   What a delight it is to travel between our group properties!  You don't need a LOT of properties to have bunches of fun doing that, via the many routes one can devise in Belli.  All you need do is change homes once in a while, and you can see Belli through an entirely different lens.

"Some form of portal"?  If there will be a new form of portal that you can take a vehicle through, then it could work for me.  But as it stands now, a portal is just a fancy teleport.  If the Fantasy theme is only a teleport away ... well ...Rosehaven, the Fruit Islands, the Grove, Idle Rogue and Caledon are also only a teleport away.  And all of those also have strong covenants, and social occasions with, frankly, many of the typists we socialize with in Belli.  The interconnected continents of Belli keep us here.

I will tack onto this a suggestion that I have in mind for how to connect Fantasy to the rest of Bellisseria Proper.

I think the small corridor is a good alternative and you can even give it an RP theme.  Make one water region that you MUST travel through in order to go from Belli proper to Belli Fantasy.  Give it a similar RL name call it the "Bellisseria Triangle" as was suggested by others already.  The Moles could go to town with making that one region filled with fog or raging storms.  Make it a region that is a real ordeal to travel through but nevertheless connected.  I think this would give residents that sense of connection they want PLUS also gives those who RP a fun explanation from how all the sudden they go from more realistic regions to fantasy.

And honestly Bellisseria proper already has Fantasy in it from furries, to dragons, to our beloved Hammies.... and yes a certain Slender being with tentacles.   We are already used to fantasy it is not going to scandalize us if a bunch of orcs come rolling through the Bellisseria Triangle at us. And likewise if a bunch of normal everyday folks wander into Fantasy i would hope that the elven population would be like "Who are these mysterious magic users with their strange flying metal birds coming through the misty fog at us."

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I will tack onto this a suggestion that I have in mind for how to connect Fantasy to the rest of Bellisseria Proper.

I think the small corridor is a good alternative and you can even give it an RP theme.  Make one water region that you MUST travel through in order to go from Belli proper to Belli Fantasy.  Give it a similar RL name call it the "Bellisseria Triangle" as was suggested by others already.  The Moles could go to town with making that one region filled with fog or raging storms.  Make it a region that is a real ordeal to travel through but nevertheless connected.  I think this would give residents that sense of connection they want PLUS also gives those who RP a fun explanation from how all the sudden they go from more realistic regions to fantasy.

Oooh, that sounds like it could be really cool - even for non fantasy players like me. One can dream, right?

• Like 6

The Moles have added a new airstrip and rez zone in Buffalo Springs > http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Buffalo Springs/199/83/36

Bellisseria now has four airstrips to fly between. 

1020726145_NewairstripinBuffaloSprings_001.thumb.jpg.2ee08626c9f62c2dc8c77b439167bda2.jpg

215925123_NewairstripinBuffaloSprings_002.thumb.jpg.b4d010d182777b3ac77ca9221b9e9c30.jpg

There is a new north Chalet railway tunnel connecting Lost Creek to Lavon. It appears the Chalet continent will expand north from Lavon where the end of the railway track is currently. The tunnel shows up on the map in blue. Good progress is being made across the Chalet regions. 

New Train Stations

Chalet Train Stations 😀

I think north of the chalet continent the new fantasy sub continent will be placed. 

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8